The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, AllanJM said:

Absolutely amazed our first home game v Thistle hasn't been chosen for TV.  BBC love a Rovers v Thistle match.  

Assuming they're expecting us to both be competing for the title and saving their TV games at Starks Park for later in the season.

3 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Weird set of fixtures there gents, at least I can start 2025 a little more positively rather than a routine defeat to Raith 😉

I know they have to move things about but us away to Thistle and you guys away to Ayr for New Year is a shambles.

I've got two theories about why it's happened (both have a high likelihood of being wrong).

First is that there's been a disagreement in getting them arranged. I suspect our preference would've been Dunfermline at home for new year given last new year we were at East End. Dunfermline may have asked for Falkirk at home, and Falkirk may have asked for Dunfermline at home. It might be the SPFL have seen there wouldn't be a consensus so forced the hands of all three clubs. 

The second is that at the last few derbies there have been isolated incidents of crowd trouble away from the ground, including one more high profile case at new year. This is far more of a stretch but it might be that they've been asked to move the derby from new year. 

I've no idea how likely either of those are. It's a shame as it's always a great day to look forward to. 

4 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I've got two theories about why it's happened (both have a high likelihood of being wrong).

First is that there's been a disagreement in getting them arranged. I suspect our preference would've been Dunfermline at home for new year given last new year we were at East End. Dunfermline may have asked for Falkirk at home, and Falkirk may have asked for Dunfermline at home. It might be the SPFL have seen there wouldn't be a consensus so forced the hands of all three clubs. 

The second is that at the last few derbies there have been isolated incidents of crowd trouble away from the ground, including one more high profile case at new year. This is far more of a stretch but it might be that they've been asked to move the derby from new year. 

I've no idea how likely either of those are. It's a shame as it's always a great day to look forward to. 

Both very plausible mate. We do meet in mid-December which should still be a good one but the new year derby at Firhill is slightly less appetising. 

They're also moved to 4th January, is it even still new year then? I am quite glad that they've moved away from cramming 3 gams between boxing day and new year like we used to and its a bit more evenly spaced.

Both of the Tuesday night fixtures again are mirrored though. Last season we had Morton, this time its Airdrie. Fun

41 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

No New Year Fife Derby? Odd

SPFL indulging the Pars and Falkirk with their pseudo "love-in" derby three days before New Year. Why it isn't the Fife derby on that date, defies any logical sense. Then again, logic and SPFL are never to be found positively in the same sentence.

1 minute ago, embow said:

SPFL indulging the Pars and Falkirk with their pseudo "love-in" derby three days before New Year. Why it isn't the Fife derby on that date, defies any logical sense. Then again, logic and SPFL are never to be found positively in the same sentence.

Bigger crowd/ bigger derby bbz 

43 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

On the first point I can't see this being an issue between Dunfermline and Raith, at one of the meetings last year (might even have been the fixture released one) it was explained that there's an agreement between the clubs that we swap the Festive derby location each season so it's fair on the club's. 

59 minutes ago, pub car king said:

How can you start and finish with an away game 

Bizarre, isn't it. We're in the same boat. In the old SFL days, your first three fixtures were either Home-Away-Home or Away-Home-Away, which where then reversed for the final three. Meant every club had one of the first or last at home and one away, and that nobody had a double header very soon or very late. This year we have back to back home games before our final away game.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

No derby game at New Year??

Also bizarre. Annoyingly, they've also got us playing both our derbies at home in the first and third quarters, and away in the others. Would much rather they were mixed up, especially when we have Raith and Falkirk back to back in March, both away from home.