The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 minutes ago, embow said:

Quite possibly. But I ask the question,  would we  have been capable of hitting eight goals against East Kilbride? Doubtful to be honest. We are not prolific and proficient in front of goal as things stand.

Lucky for us then that the championship isn't decided by who can score 8 goals against a pub team in a pre season game.

Only criticism for me was we played at a pace that suited Stranraer , Did have plenty of chances TBF , It’s 3 points at the end of the day and it would be great to get something up at Dingwall on Saturday 

Edited by basher brash

Very sedate pace about us tonight, Easton should have had a goal from the one that hit the bar. 

Few other chances along the way, Stranraer scored woth their first decent effort at goal, Kev wasn't troubled otherwise. 

What was good though was we regained the lead so quickly and from a really nice set play. 

1 minute ago, basher brash said:

Only criticism for me was we played at a pace that suited Stranraer , Did gave plenty of chances TBF , It’s 3 points at the end of the day and would be great to get something up at Dingwall on Saturday 

Saturday's game will give hopefully a good indication of how things are progressing. Anything there will be a bonus even if it goes to penalties for the extra point.

25 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Really  hoping we’re treating this like a pre season. Piss poor misplaced passes, every time we get the ball it’s like a hot potato. Despite Airdrie’s losses of players last season, they really have frustratingly recruited well.  Not looking forward to the season opener. 

Worth noting how many gilt edge chances we passed up out there. Smith should bury his one on one after a great run, Easton has hit the bar, had one saved off the keeper, Mullin has all the time in the world when played through to take a touch but tries the first time shot, Gibson has had one flash past the far post.... and we also scored twice. We were prolifigate tonight.

I don't think we were great, but I don't recognise you're description of the game over the piece. Overall we controlled the game in the face of a far better press than we faced on Saturday, with a fairly unconventional starting line up of Easton behind Hamilton. Needed to up the tempo sooner than we did. Lost a piss poor goal after Fordyce lost the flight of the ball I think and it's bounced down for Stranraer in the box - but that's more or less the only chance we gave away.

Clearly, unless Hamilton can get over his stop/start injuries and Vaughan is available soon (you just can't teach that movement off the ball) then we are a couple of bodies up top light. Still need another striker even if Vaughan and Hamilton are available.

Still not sure (and I'm not singling you out, as others are casting covetous eyes towards Airdrie) what the comparison with Airdrie is. They put 8 past a very poor EK side. They may well have recruited "frustratingly" well, or it may just be one of these freak results you are likely to hand out to a LL club who probably do treat the League Cup stage as a version of pre-season.

Missed loads of chances and almost punished for it. Deserved winner in the end though. At this stage it’s all about points and this means we have 2 games to get three points from which is the best case scenario in the these groups. 

Also, delighted the late goals have continued! Hopefully that’s a good confidence booster and players will believe again that we will eventually score in a game. 

1 minute ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Well, that wasn't great, but it wasn't 0-2 at home to Forfar bad.

"Oh you are awful but I like it"....®Dick Emery (circa  19 god knows when)😉

That was poor tonight, pre season guff played with no urgency, no pressure and again little pace on our part. Freeman's pass in the 1st half was good but he is going to frustrate the hell out of me if he is going to constantly stop at the half way line and pass it sideways or back. Up front we need a player or 2. 

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

Connolly is not a left winger, Easton is not a number 10. 

Agree with this. Can see the merit in trying someone else in the number 10 position in case Stanton is injured during the season, but we broke up the Stevenson/Easton combo on the left which was really good at Stirling. 

Mullin looked good tonight. 

That was a hard watch. Don't think I've shouted "WAKE THE FK UP ROVERS"  that loudly for a long time. Nearly woke the man up in front of me.

All their N°8 did all night was kick players, don't think he touched the ball with his feet, as for the time waisting Ginger in goals for them "GIRUY" 

4 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Interesting that our friends from the west of Fife aren't on here tonight. Probably calling for McPakes head or sack the board. 

They're too busy having a meltdown on their own thread

I’ve seen a couple of comments now that suggest Airdrie have recruited better than ourselves or are in better shape than us. 

I’d be interested to know what that’s based on. 

Airdrie have lost the spine of their team, and the vast majority of their signings are from the divisions below us, Ireland and England. 

Now, they might all be class, but I’m unsure how anyone could possibly know anything about them to form an opinion? 

My first instinct is that they’re probably a bit weaker based on their summer, and I don’t think beating a terrible Lowland League side changes anything. 

1 minute ago, MICMAC said:

as for the time waisting Ginger in goals for them "GIRUY" 

Just couldn't stomach him, could you?

Very disjointed that, you could see Connolly wasn't comfortable on that side. He's not a typical winger, hasn't got the pace/ability to get past a man down the line that you need. He's far better when he's allowed to drift inside. Mullin looked good first half, some nice touches, a good cross for the goal and of course, excellent dead balls.

Stevenson was caught a few times with balls out to his winger, Freeman defended well overall but had a few times where he was cul-de-sac'd and had to cut back, but our biggest issue was a massive lack of movement. Fordyce was driving himself mad looking for a pass at times, you could see he was wanting to get it moving but nothing was going on in front of him. 

Hamilton needs to get over the niggly injuries or he'll just fade into the background and be replaced by the others. Smith would be excellent if he had a consistent first touch, the ball either gets caught under his feet or fired about 20 yards away more often than not. Such a willing runner though, deserved a goal.

Still, 2 games, 6 points. No more can be done.

Can only imagine how frustrating that must have been for the players, let alone fans. By midway through the second half we should've been two up, yet it felt like we took our foot off the pedal. 

Ironically all three of the positives from our opener (Freeman, Hamilton and Mullin) all ended up out of sorts in some way.

Mullin was having a good game and doing really well to find space but his decision making let him down. 

Freeman went from looking positive in the first half, to absolutely going into his shell in the second half. I'll usually try to avoid being too harsh on players but it's not enough to continually pick the ball up as a right back, only to return it to your centre back. It's the polar opposite of Lewis Stevenson who admittedly has a wealth of experience behind him. 

I felt that we struggled a bit with Brown being quite cavalier at times. Byrne offers him a natural foil to do the dirty work but there were a few moments where Brown went chasing a lost cause only for us to find ourselves down in numbers at the back. 

There was an air of inevitability that Stranraer would score after we started acting passive. With that said I felt there was an air of inevitability that we'd do the job to get three points. Gibson did really well when he came on: while he's a different type of player to his dad there's definitely the same gallus nature that Wullie had earlier in his career where you knew you were in trouble if he fancied it. 

A lot of points to improve on but still job done. Stirling getting a bonus point against Accies was also a positive bit of news. I'm confident the next two games will be a lot more open. We've given ourselves a great opportunity to get out the group.