The New Raith Rovers Thread

15 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Just couldn't stomach him, could you?

Very disjointed that, you could see Connolly wasn't comfortable on that side. He's not a typical winger, hasn't got the pace/ability to get past a man down the line that you need. He's far better when he's allowed to drift inside. Mullin looked good first half, some nice touches, a good cross for the goal and of course, excellent dead balls.

Stevenson was caught a few times with balls out to his winger, Freeman defended well overall but had a few times where he was cul-de-sac'd and had to cut back, but our biggest issue was a massive lack of movement. Fordyce was driving himself mad looking for a pass at times, you could see he was wanting to get it moving but nothing was going on in front of him. 

Hamilton needs to get over the niggly injuries or he'll just fade into the background and be replaced by the others. Smith would be excellent if he had a consistent first touch, the ball either gets caught under his feet or fired about 20 yards away more often than not. Such a willing runner though, deserved a goal.

Still, 2 games, 6 points. No more can be done.

Never a foul .

You don't want to jump to conclusions, as the performances in this competition don't dictate what will happen going forward, however, we were pretty rubbish tonight. 

Everything was laboured and slow, and I wasn't overly surprised when Stranraer equalised. 

Thankfully we managed to eke out a winner, as the prize money in this tournament is pretty significant, and I suspect (maybe hope) we'll end up with two or three loan signings before the end of the window, but my goodness, tonight was a slog, against the worst team in the SPFL last season. 

Callum Smith was decent off the bench a handful of times last season, and that's probably about it. There's no way he can lead our line this season if the idea is to win the league.

The problem is it feels like we're hoping Jack Hamilton will come good, and based on him traipsing off early this evening with a knock, I'm not sure he will. 

A right back and a forward and we'll be fine though. (Is Nicky Clarke getting a game for St Johnstone?)

If Hamilton can’t get a run of 10-15 games without getting injured pretty soon then i’m not sure it’s ever going to fully happen for him - I say this as one of his biggest supporters. I love the guy and what he brings to the team but he’s made of fucking chocolate and it’s so frustrating. 

Frustrating display with some decent bits thrown in. Mullin was pretty good, Easton was meh, and Matthews and Connolly were poor.

Based on the first two games, it’s clear we haven’t addressed the complete lack of pace in the team and that will hinder us massively in the league. That, and the absence of a predatory finisher. Hamilton got the type of goal he didn’t get enough of last year because we are finally trying to hit the byeline with our full-backs, but we’re relying on him staying fit and confident. Sadly, he seems to struggle with both of these factors. 

1 hour ago, SanStarko said:

We look a lot more dangerous from set pieces than we did last year.  Did Fordyce not do set pieces for Airdrie last season?  Wonder if he’s doing the same for us now.

He did yeah. They were often quite strange looking, clusters of players starting outside the box and all making different runs in kind of thing. We were very effective at attacking set-pieces last season and that can win you a few extra points over the course of the season.

Very laboured that tonight but got the win. Need a striker and need an injection of pace. Connelly wasted out left, after Saturday felt there was no need to move about him and Easton. 

Must be said it's some job the team in the office/shop have done the last few weeks, a credit to the club. Helping out kids with sizing, getting all the orders sorted and dealing with a sometimes annoying public 🤣 

The optimistic way to look at tonight was Murray tinkering with personnel and positions. 

Connolly is wasted on the left and although Easton got. Chances through the middle I can't see him doing that against better teams. 

Quick question, Hannah was on the bench for us on Saturday, yet he played for Montrose tonight. I know the rules at one point didn't allow you to play if you were named in the match day squad for another team.

2 hours ago, embow said:

Quite possibly. But I ask the question,  would we  have been capable of hitting eight goals against East Kilbride? Doubtful to be honest. We are not prolific and proficient in front of goal as things stand.

Who gives a shit if we score 8 against East Kilbride or not? It has zero relevance to our season.

26 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Talking of signing targets can we sign Graeme Kilgour as the new tannoy announcer? 😂

Only if he turns down the volume a bit 😂

25 minutes ago, pub car king said:

The optimistic way to look at tonight was Murray tinkering with personnel and positions. 

Connolly is wasted on the left and although Easton got. Chances through the middle I can't see him doing that against better teams. 

Yeah, when we lined up with Easton in the ‘10’ role and Connolly on the left I assumed Murray was testing a possible formation for if Stanton is injured. 
Same with Matthews in for Byrne- it’s the right game to try these tweaks in too. 
However, neither of the tweaks worked particularly well. 
As others have said we were too slow and lacked urgency. I am also not as confident as some with the defence. I feel we look like we’re always going to gift teams chances. Then again, maybe with Hanlon in for Murray we’ll be stronger. 

I thought Smith did well when he came on, he makes runs and gets into positions that Hamilton doesn’t. We definitely need a quality striker to come in if we want to challenge for the title though. 

2 hours ago, MICMAC said:

Quick question, Hannah was on the bench for us on Saturday, yet he played for Montrose tonight. I know the rules at one point didn't allow you to play if you were named in the match day squad for another team.

If he didn't actually play for Rovers he should be fine.

4 hours ago, MICMAC said:

4 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

the lord of the rings GIF

Summon @TxRover

I asked Davie on the RaithTV coverage, and he believes that since it’s a friendly, and not an official match, he should be able to. I was of the same mind…but now I have to look.

Annex 1, Eligibility, 12 specifies Official Match. An Official Match. under A. General, Definitions and Interpretation A4, is “a Football match within the framework of Organised Football under the auspices of and organised by the Company and includes, without limitation, all League Matches, Play-Off Matches, League Cup Matches, Challenge Cup Matches, Reserve League Matches and matches in any other Competitions”. This leads us to Organised Football, which in the same section explicitly excludes “friendly…Football matches”.

So, yes, he can play in a friendly, but I’m assuming that is if Montrose don’t mind.

1 hour ago, Claudia Gentile said:

If he didn't actually play for Rovers he should be fine.

Effectively the same thing, the same way I figured it…but ask Queen’s Park why you read the rules.

A player can play for 2 clubs in one season, that's usually his parent club and a loan club, or two loan clubs. As Hannah didn't play on Saturday, he is able to join Montrose and play in the cup for them.