The New Raith Rovers Thread

For those who can't get beyond the paywall:

Ian Murray provides injury update and delivers Raith Rovers message for Airdrie league opener

The Kirkcaldy outfit were missing five key players for the 1-1 draw with Hamilton Accies in the Premier Sports Cup.

By Iain Collin
August 1 2024, 4:43pm
Raith Rovers manager Ian Murray shouts out orders.
Raith Rovers manager Ian Murray. Image: Paul Devlin / SNS Group.

Ian Murray is expecting at least three of his five missing players to be available for Raith Rovers’ Championship opener against Airdrie this weekend.

Skipper Scott Brown, summer signing Paul Hanlon, top scorer Lewis Vaughan and the dependable Sam Stanton and Euan Murray all sat out the final Premier Sports Cup game against Hamilton Accies.

Stanton was ill but the other four were nursing injuries of varying severity.

All have taken part in some training this week in the build-up to the league curtain-raiser against last season’s bogey team.

However, Murray will make a final assessment on their preparedness on Friday.

With a clenched fist, Lewis Vaughan celebrates his winner for Raith Rovers against Inverness.
Lewis Vaughan could return from injury for Raith Rovers’ league opener. Image: Mark Scates / SNS Group.

“All the players who missed last weekend have all done a bit of training this week,” he told Courier Sport.

“Scott, Paul and Euan, Sam Stanton was ill and he’s fine, and Lewis Vaughan has trained really, really well.

“We’ll check them all on Friday but we’re certainly a bit more positive than we were last week.

“I’ll be surprised if we get them all back in time, especially with the amount of work some of them have done.

“But certainly Sam, Lewis and Euan are looking pretty good.

Murray: ‘Really good news for us’

“Last Saturday did highlight when you take away five players of that calibre then any squad and any team in this league is going to struggle.

“It showed how pivotal they are to us being a decent side.

“So, to get most of them back is really good news for us.”

Vaughan has not made any appearances during pre-season and the League Cup due to a groin issue and his return will certainly boost Raith’s attacking options.

The return of Murray, who sat out the 1-1 draw with Hamilton, would also strengthen Rovers in defence, where full-back Liam Dick was fielded as a centre-half against Accies.

Scott Brown and Paul Hanlon shake hands.
Scott Brown (left) and Paul Hanlon are doubts for the Championship curtain-raiser against Airdrie. Image: Paul Devlin / SNS Group.

Boss Murray will be disappointed if he is denied the services of Brown and Hanlon, especially given the difficulty of their opening fixture.

But he has dismissed talk of last season’s Airdrie hoodoo – when they lost four and drew one game – having any effect on the new campaign.

“I thought Airdrie did really well last season,” he added. “It’s always hard coming up from that league below, but I think the second season’s always harder.

“They’ve lost a lot of good, experienced players. But they seem to have replaced them with really good young players.

“I’ve watched a couple of their League Cup games and they’ve been really, really good and played really well, particularly against Aberdeen at Pittodrie (a 2-1 defeat).

Last season’s record

“They’ve managed to get through so it’s all positive and they’ll be happy.”

Murray added: “Last season’s record doesn’t really matter now. It will be brought up, of course it will, because that’s football and that’s football people.

“But we go into it looking at it as a clean slate.

“Looking back at last season’s games, I wouldn’t say they outplayed us. But, yes, we found them hard opponents.

“We have to respect the opponent and make sure we do our homework. But we’ve tried to make this week about us.”

I feel a bit flat for the start of this season, hopefully the players aren’t . We have recruited quite well it seems but I guess I’m just frustrated we haven’t got an exciting player in , being greedy ? Probably but I feel our team building over the summer mirrors to an extent the outside of the San Starko as I passed today ( some more progress  from Saturday) but unfinished. I feel we will learn a lot in august 

Edited by Been going too long

13 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

It would be nice if just one journalist would do their job and actually ask Murray about what has been going on with Hanlon. 

We do have Raith TV that could do that.

Hanlon was reported as having a tightness around his hip, which to be fair isn't fun given how much we rely on them. Its a bit of a concern this early into his career though, flashbacks to Watson are natural. 

29 minutes ago, mealsonwheels said:

Has anyone any images of the ongoing work at Stark's? 

Cheers guys

Nothing worth seeing on Tuesday…hopefully some of the siding up now.

Kev

Freeman  Fordyce  Dick  Stevenson

Byrne   Stanton

Connolly         Easton         Gibson  

Smith

Going by Murray’s interview

Dick ahead of Murray for me. Think we can do with a bit more mobility in there so Dick ahead of Murray.

Hanlon only going to play when 100%.
Would love Brown to be fit but can’t see it going by interview.

With Stevenson and Gibson down left and Easton drifting out there like he did when me moved more central last week I think we can get a lot of joy overloading it down that side.

Smith just gets the nod up top for me. Hopefully Vaughan good for 15/20 mins if required.

1 hour ago, SerieA said:

Kev

Freeman  Fordyce  Dick  Stevenson

Byrne   Stanton

Connolly         Easton         Gibson  

Smith

Going by Murray’s interview

Dick ahead of Murray for me. Think we can do with a bit more mobility in there so Dick ahead of Murray.

Hanlon only going to play when 100%.
Would love Brown to be fit but can’t see it going by interview.

With Stevenson and Gibson down left and Easton drifting out there like he did when me moved more central last week I think we can get a lot of joy overloading it down that side.

Smith just gets the nod up top for me. Hopefully Vaughan good for 15/20 mins if required.

Strongly disagree putting Dick in ahead of Murray, but rest of the team would also be my choice.

Dick I felt struggled next to Fordyce on Saturday against Hamilton. A couple of really clumsy challenges in there too, with his second resulting in a booking. Can understand the mobility aspect. But I’d say if Murray is good to go, then he gets the nod.

Plus I’m sick at the sight of seeing a non centre back playing in that position. 🤣

7 hours ago, Wardy said:

Strongly disagree putting Dick in ahead of Murray, but rest of the team would also be my choice.

Dick I felt struggled next to Fordyce on Saturday against Hamilton. A couple of really clumsy challenges in there too, with his second resulting in a booking. Can understand the mobility aspect. But I’d say if Murray is good to go, then he gets the nod.

Plus I’m sick at the sight of seeing a non centre back playing in that position. 🤣

Totally agree with Murray but we need a 100% fit Murray against an Airdrie striker who is in form.

I have a funny feeling that Dick will play more minutes at CD than LB this season.

22 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

If there is a slight downbeat mood at the moment, I think it's partly a consequence of doing so much business so early. 

If we'd only announced Stevenson (for example) this week, people would be cock-a-hoop going into tomorrow's game. 

You’re probably right. We also signed four defenders this close season, fixing a huge issue we had last season… defenders don’t make people excited thought, had we signed four strikers, I bet it would have been different.

I also think our depleted squad on Saturday has perhaps added to the negativity somewhat. I wonder if we had listed Murray, Hanlon and Vaughan on the bench last week, with no intention of playing them and had them doing light warm ups, if that might have changed the mood slightly?

45 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

If there is a slight downbeat mood at the moment, I think it's partly a consequence of doing so much business so early. 

If we'd only announced Stevenson (for example) this week, people would be cock-a-hoop going into tomorrow's game. 

Think your right but hopefully our shortfalls get addressed sooner rather than later. 

Murray has always said premiership clubs are waiting on the league Cup getting out the way and the season to start before assessing their squads. 

I would hope we would see some movement in the way of loans by the end of the month.  

17 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

It would be nice if just one journalist would do their job and actually ask Murray about what has been going on with Hanlon. 

I’ve heard he’s struggling with the Astro.  Hibs fan at work told me this so maybe nonsense 

Fairly positive stuff from Barrowman in the Courier today:

Andy Barrowman insists Raith Rovers still have ‘work to be done’ in the transfer window, despite being ‘content’ with this summer’s recruitment so far.

The Stark’s Park side enjoyed a flurry of signing activity during the close-season, snapping up the experience of Lewis Stevenson, Paul Hanlon, Callum Fordyce and Shaun Byrne.

Youngsters Kai Montagu and Lewis Gibson, and former Dundee United full-back Kieran Freeman completed an impressive overhaul.

When coupled with new deals for Dylan Easton, Liam Dick and Ross Matthews, it felt like Raith were ahead of the game early on.

Raith Rovers duo Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon at Stark's Park.
Lewis Stevenson (left) and Paul Hanlon were marquee signings for Raith Rovers this summer. Image: Paul Devlin / SNS Group.

But manager Ian Murray has indicated he is still seeking reinforcements in attack and defence.

And Barrowman, who took the helm with the club’s new consortium owners in May last year, says the Kirkcaldy outfit have plans in place to strengthen the squad.

“I would say in general there’s a more settled feel to the club this summer,” the Rovers chief executive told Courier Sport ahead of Saturday’s Championship kick-off against Airdrie.

“It was a bit chaotic this time last year. There was probably too much going on.

“I don’t know if I’d ever like to repeat another summer like that!

Barrowman: ‘I’m fairly content’

“But I’m fairly content with where we are in a football sense. I think the squad’s stronger than it was last year.

“We got a lot of the work done early. A lot of the proprietary work was done from January onwards, so it was good to get things done earlier.”

He added: “There’s maybe been a bit of a lull or slow-down on that, because we got it done so early.

“That maybe brings a bit of pressure or expectancy from fans.

“We all want to make signings. We’d like to make a signing every day if we could, but unfortunately it doesn’t work like that.

Dylan Easton holds up a Raith Rovers scarf in the Stark's Park tunnel.
Re-signing Dylan Easton was an important piece of business for Raith Rovers this summer. Image: Lindsey Dalziel Photography Ltd / RRFC.

“But we’re content. There’s a lot of work getting done, there’s a lot of moving pieces and we’re in the hunt for others.

“So, [we’re] fairly content – but still a bit of work to be done.”

Barrowman has refused to put a number on the fresh faces supporters can expect in the coming weeks.

But the Stark’s Park chief has indicated there is space in the club’s budget for expected – and surprise – arrivals.

Barrowman: ‘Raith wouldn’t say no’

“The manager will tell you he wants five or six, that’s what managers do,” he said.

“There’s no number on it, really, but we know the areas of the pitch we want to strengthen.

“We’re always looking to make the squad better. So if there was something that came up that we maybe weren’t planning on we wouldn’t say ‘no’ to it either.

“We’re always looking to get better and that’ll be no different in the next transfer window – and the next one after that.”

Courier season preview:

Raith Rovers 2024/25 season preview: Transfer business, key man and Championship predictions

The Stark's Park side will be desperate to go one better than last term's runners-up spot.

Raith Rovers' Kevin Dabrowski, Liam Dick and Lewis Vaughan.
Raith Rovers' Kevin Dabrowski, Liam Dick and Lewis Vaughan. Images: SNS.
85e9040e89d0373f7d50aaaab461fa41?s=64&d=By Iain Collin
August 2 2024, 12:30pm

Hope was the order of the day for Raith Rovers 12 months ago following the arrival of new owners and a fresh approach.

The Stark’s Park club as a whole was reinvigorated by the takeover, a feeling that was helped enormously by the campaign on the pitch.

Their title challenge to Dundee United faltered down the home straight, but there was still pride at what was achieved.

In plenty of other seasons, Raith’s 20 wins and 69 points would have been enough to top the division and reach the Premiership.

Instead, spurred on by the pain of their play-off hammering from Ross County, they are aiming to go one better this term.

Scott Brown hunches over at full-time as Raith are defeated by Ross County.
Raith Rovers’ disappointment was clear at full-time against Ross County in May’s play-off final. Image: Pete Summers / Shutterstock.

Courier Sport takes a look at the 2024/25 season ahead of Saturday’s tricky opening fixture against bogey team Airdrie.

Transfer business assessed

Chief executive Andy Barrowman has confirmed they are not yet finished, but Raith have impressed once more with their recruitment.

With the likably persistent John Potter leading the charge from his technical director role, Rovers have landed some eye-catching signings this summer.

Lewis Stevenson has been a long-term target of his hometown team but, at 36, has already proven in the games he has played what an asset he will be.

Stevenson’s former Hibernian team-mate, Paul Hanlon, was another enticed to Kirkcaldy in the face of competition from elsewhere.

Unfortunately, his start to life at the club has been blighted by injury but his experience and top-flight knowhow could be crucial.

And in Callum Fordyce, Raith have someone who has spent the last two years as an assistant manager as well as a player.

21095169-1irl71xa0-864x564.jpg
Paul Hanlon (left) and Lewis Stevenson were marquee signings for Raith Rovers this summer. Image  Paul Devlin / SNS Group.

Having been on loan from Dundee last season, Shaun Byrne may not feel as much like a new player, but he was another who turned down more lucrative offers elsewhere to commit to Rovers.

At the other end of the age scale, talented teenagers Lewis Gibson and Kai Montagu have brought plenty of energy, enthusiasm and promise.

And, having started his career at Southampton before returning to Dundee United, Kieran Freeman looks like an astute piece of business for the right-back berth.

However, as much as the new recruits have brought a freshness to the Rovers squad, those handed contract extensions will have pleased as many supporters.

Hanging on to fans’ favourite Dylan Easton, stalwart Ross Matthews in his testimonial year, and versatile defender Liam Dick makes it a satisfying summer for Raith.

Key man

Raith identified the need for more experience and defensive improvements after falling short last term.

The size and physicality of County in the Premiership play-off final, particularly in the 4-0 second-leg defeat in Dingwall, was an eye-opener for many.

Rovers simply could not cope, and that’s where Hanlon and Fordyce come in, coupled with the robust presence of Euan Murray.

Boss Ian Murray will be hopeful the defensive fortitude his team showed in finishing last season with four consecutive clean sheets in the league can be repeated.

Having said all that, Raith’s biggest strength of late has been in attack.

Lewis Vaughan celebrates scoring for Raith Rovers as his team-mates surround him.
Lewis Vaughan is likely to be crucial to Raith Rovers’ season. Image: Mark Scates / SNS Group.

Murray again has options to change up his front four, with Gibson adding pace and penetration to Dylan Easton, Aidan Connolly and Josh Mullin on the flanks.

Easton, in particular, has returned looking fit and determined and he will be crucial to success again.

However, if pre-season and the Premier Sports Cup campaign has done anything, it has highlighted the importance of Lewis Vaughan.

Top scorer in 2023/24 with 19 goals from the most consistent run of his injury-blighted career, the 28-year-old has been absent with a groin problem and been sorely missed.

Rovers will be hoping their star turn can be available as much as possible this season and prove their promotion hero.

Where can they strengthen?

Boss Murray has been clear on what he is still looking for.

Another attacker is on the Raith manager’s shopping list and it is easy to see why.

It was the area he wanted to strengthen in January when Zak Rudden was brought in on loan from Dundee. And central striker remains a position earmarked for recruitment.

Jack Hamilton is currently the only target man and, whilst Callum Smith has already proven his worth leading the line this summer, competition there is needed.

The flanks appear well served, as is the number ten role, where Vaughan, Easton, Smith and Sam Stanton can all thrive.

The other gap in Murray’s eyes appears to be in defence.

Jack Hamilton celebrates Raith Rovers' winning goal.
Raith Rovers are likely to seek competition in attack for Jack Hamilton (centre). Image: Euan Cherry / SNS Group.

Without Euan Murray and Hanlon against Hamilton in the final cup game, Liam Dick filled in at centre-half.

He is adaptable enough to do just that, but will be needed to give an option in his preferred left-back role.

And whilst Fordyce and Matthews can both move into right-back if needed, that is another area of mild concern.

If Rovers can find a right-sided defender capable of playing both full-back and centre-half then that might be ideal.

Those appear priorities. But, beyond that, Barrowman insists they are not closed to any other potential signings that may emerge.

Predicted finish

Murray has already stated he believes this season’s Championship will be harder than last term’s.

There is no team with the kind of commanding budget Dundee United enjoyed.

But that appears to have encouraged some clubs to see an opportunity to shoot for promotion and they have invested accordingly.

A part-time team in Arbroath and a cash-strapped one in Inverness Caley Thistle have been replaced by an impressive-looking Falkirk and a Hamilton Accies who, before reported cash issues emerged, had recruited well.

The Raith Rovers players celebrate after beating Partick Thistle in the play-offs.
The Raith Rovers players celebrate after beating Partick Thistle in last season’s play-off semi-final. Image: Raymond Davies / Shutterstock.

Airdrie, Ayr United, Partick Thistle and Queen’s Park will all fancy their chances of taking top spot.

But Raith will be determined to prove last season was not a flash in the pan and that they can go one better this time round.

It looks like being extremely tight and competitive but maybe, just maybe, they can learn from being pipped by United and make it back to the Premier for the first time in nearly three decades.

I think getting signings across the line early may have led to a feeling of 'drift' for the past few weeks, and also the largely insipid performance v Hamilton has maybe dampened things down. I'm sure there are irons in the fire though and stuff will happen now the Group Stages are over in the League Cup. Despite not being great through them we didn't miss out by much either.