The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, Raith1234 said:

Something must have gone on in the background. I very much doubt the board would sack him one game into the season unless we have someone else lined up already

I wonder if there was a falling out after his post-match interview? I didn’t think there was anything hugely wrong with it but the stuff about players not being fit enough and something not being right was interesting.

21 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That's just not true and isn't as simple as that. I'd say even his biggest critics accept that overall he did a good job for us and laid the foundations for McCabe to take us on a level. I think he's shown he's got an ability to go into an underperforming/stagnating club and turn things round by improving standards and by good recruitment - initially at least.

However even at lower levels football has increasingly become about teams developing a style of play - I don't mean some snobby 'playing the right way' rubbish, just literally that the team looks like they are well drilled and have a coherent plan for what they are doing, whether that's intricate passing or hoof ball. I don't think he has the coaching ability to do that and therefore hits a bit of a glass ceiling once he's no longer able to just recruit better players than everyone and hope they do the job for him.

It's entirely possible for a manager to have a skill set in certain areas but lack in others. If I was in charge of a club who looked to be in serious decline or a bit of a rut and needed to turn things around he'd probably be the first person I'd go to, but if I needed a manager to overperform on a tight budget or get us promoted, I wouldn't go near him. I can't speak for all Airdrie fans clearly but that's my thoughts on him and is always the general feeling I get from other fans about him.

Seems the club agree!

He looked a bit shell shocked/stressed during his post match interview and was spouting nonsense as well as questioning the fitness of the players he's in charge of. Costly for Raith though considering his contract length.

2 minutes ago, Dalgety Rover said:

Ach well, no really surprised. Probably the best decision based on how the season started.

Hope the club has a replacement lined up. 

You’ve played one league game and in the league cup.

It’s not been great but I think most people could’ve predicted a bit of a hangover after last season and getting so close.

I’d be shocked if they’ve actually sacked him based on the football this season. Think it’s more likely he’s had a falling out.