The New Raith Rovers Thread

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

There is no doubt however that it is an enormous gamble, particularly as Murray was under little to no pressure from the fans. Bold was the word Barrowman used, which is one way of putting it. 

It also means the new manager needs to hit the ground running.  If the new guy comes in and we lose the first few games under him then people are going to be giving the board pelters and saying they f**ked it.  Also means everybody is going to be expecting a title challenge now.  If Murray had got the first quarter, it had went badly and then they sacked him, then your new guy comes in and you can revise expectations and just say the play offs are the target.

But making the change this early, you can't now say your only aim is to make the play offs.  So no pressure on the new guy, whoever it is.

I’ve heard a few people saying it could be Tam Courts. 
If I’m honest I’d hope we have spoken to McCabe, he’s young, hungry and very very talented. But he should be allowed to see out the season with Airdrie and take his own club to the Premier League. But at least I’d give him first refusal and bring the players he thinks we need to push forward. 

1 hour ago, AuldReekie said:

You think I'm annoyed or envious? Can you read? ;)

While we're managing to make a pigs ear of the footballing side of operations, but don't confuse this with me being envious of what's going on at Rovers. Still a chance this is going to work out really well for you, short term at least, but I'll be envious if you're Premiership next season and have survived Barrowman moving on.

Glad your not envious 👍🏻 good luck Saturday you might need it 😉

With Bowie looking likely to head to Hibs we've also got a significant sum coming our way which should cover Murray's compo with hopefully change left over. 

In amongst all this managerial chat I think we've lost sight of the fact we could be going into Saturday's game with no strikers. Hamilton pulling up after just coming on, Smith was holding his hammy near the end of the game. On top of that probably no Hanlon or Fordyce. Vaughan we'll need to tread carefully with as well. The joys.

6 minutes ago, Raithie said:

With Bowie looking likely to head to Hibs we've also got a significant sum coming our way which should cover Murray's compo with hopefully change left over. 

In amongst all this managerial chat I think we've lost sight of the fact we could be going into Saturday's game with no strikers. Hamilton pulling up after just coming on, Smith was holding his hammy near the end of the game. On top of that probably no Hanlon or Fordyce. Vaughan we'll need to tread carefully with as well. The joys.

Aye, it could be the most bare bones of a team as we've seen in a wee while. 

I suspect Patrick will finally get a deserved decent result here, or we play like heroes. Probably the former.

1 hour ago, basher brash said:

The big spenders of the division ? Simple Maths 

when your average gates jump from 1800 to 4100 

record strip sales

record season ticket sales 

hospitality fully booked most weeks 

prize money jumps from 250k roughly 22/23 to 750k last season

higher attendances knock on effect with a million pies being sold every home game 

pitch hire fully booked the majority of the time it’s not hard to understand where the extra finance is coming from 

None of which refutes the big spenders tag. If anything, it backs it up unless you are posting record profits.

3 hours ago, Raithie said:

Think the carrot of 'here Rhys, we've still a substantial playing budget available to add your own players, anyone from Airdrie you want to bring with you?' will be dangled in his face. I don't doubt McCabe will be on the boards radar, whether he wants to come here or if we can afford to fork out more compo is another thing.

Again definite ‘substantial’

All our players have freshly signed contracts so transfer fees would be involved and guys like Hancock were being courted by teams like Portsmouth last season so just a slight step up from this level whether at us or Raith.

He would also still be lumbered with dad’s army Hanlon and Stevenson, Byrne etc and of course Fordyce with all that additional baggage.

7 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

None of which refutes the big spenders tag. If anything, it backs it up unless you are posting record profits.

The insinuation is that we are spending well beyond our means, which has been shown to not be the case. If you make more money you get to spend more money. 

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The insinuation is that we are spending well beyond our means, which has been shown to not be the case. If you make more money you get to spend more money. 

Didn't Raith post a £350k loss the season before last?

The increased revenue is noted. It remains to be seen whether it's enough to turn around that loss, cover the increased spending and the capital expenditure going on.

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

Didn't Raith post a £350k loss the season before last?

The increased revenue is noted. It remains to be seen whether it's enough to turn around that loss, cover the increased spending and the capital expenditure going on.

Our finances are/were a bit complicated. The club and the stadium were owned by the same person but run as different companies. While the football club may have posted a loss, the stadium posted profits.

5 minutes ago, Offshore Rover said:

You should apply for a job at the Fife Free Press with that information 

So for an outsider, what was the profit/loss? How much did the 'Stadium company' make?

1 hour ago, Stardog_champion said:

I’ve heard a few people saying it could be Tam Courts. 
If I’m honest I’d hope we have spoken to McCabe, he’s young, hungry and very very talented. But he should be allowed to see out the season with Airdrie and take his own club to the Premier League. But at least I’d give him first refusal and bring the players he thinks we need to push forward. 

First refusal?

Not second refusal after Jim Magilton?

10 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

First refusal?

Not second refusal after Jim Magilton?

The ties Courts has with Barrowman and Potter could be vital in the longer term.

Not saying he is a shoe in but......must be a nig favourite.