The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

I just hope the appointment of a new manager doesn't take as long as it takes to clad the main stand lol.

I dont imagine the pissing rain would impact the appointment of a manager. 

1 minute ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I dont imagine the pissing rain would impact the appointment of a manager. 

It was supposed to be finished this week. It’s nowhere near ready. The weather over the summer hasn’t been that bad. I can understand why works at height but need to stop in gale force winds but not a few summer showers.

On 06/08/2024 at 20:30, Kirkcaldybanjo said:

Gary Bowyer will be next manager. No compensation to be paid and already knows how to win the championship.

So a manager that got sacked for having a poor style of football is going to replace a manager who got sacked for having a poor style of football? We also achieved more points last season than Bowyer achieved in his season… 

1 minute ago, Jilted John said:

It was supposed to be finished this week. It’s nowhere near ready. The weather over the summer hasn’t been that bad. I can understand why works at height but need to stop in gale force winds but not a few summer showers.

I'd expect it does if the cladding gets wet while being applied, that said, old building, they've probably found some more issues that need amendment or further alterations

3 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

So a manager that got sacked for having a poor style of football is going to replace a manager who got sacked for having a poor style of football? We also achieved more points last season than Bowyer achieved in his season… 

Murray didn't get sacked for having a poor style of football.  

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Murray didn't get sacked for having a poor style of football.  

He was binned, in part, for poor performances. Said performances didn’t come off the back of a consistently good brand of football - in the eyes of the board, no?

39 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I'd expect it does if the cladding gets wet while being applied, that said, old building, they've probably found some more issues that need amendment or further alterations

The cladding is weatherproof, alas the insulation that goes behind it isn't.

The slightest sign of rain and work stops.

15-20% sell on clause for Bowie? Never seen that quoted anywhere except speculation on here at the time. 

All that was said (by  McGlynn I think) was that there was a really good sell on clause and other add-ons.

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

The cladding is weatherproof, alas the insulation that goes behind it isn't.

The slightest sign of rain and work stops.

Sorry thats what I meant. 

2 hours ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

Winning ugly in every game is not the kind of football I want to see. Especially from an expensively assembled squad full of good footballers. 

Id like to see 2 up top with proper wingers, none of this inverted shite, someone who can whip a ball in that a striker (not Hamilton) can attack. Some creativity in midfield and none of this nonchalant boring play that we've been seeing. Play that will actually get you excited to watch. I think Gibson deserves the nod over either of the wingers at present to see what he can do. There is absolutely nothing in that team over the past 8 months that's made me say we played fantastic, but plenty of we rowed our luck massively and Big Kev saved us. 

I'd like to apologise for the introduction of the word turgid to the thread 😞 , it accurately describes a number of games in the second half of the season (eg Morton mid-week) but is a million miles from what was a fantastic season overall for most of us.

In the second half of the season the low percentage balls up the flanks or shell up to the big guy up front wasn't working but we persisted game after game, unfortunately, it looked from the start of the season\friendlies we were still sticking to the plan. As an aside, and to offer something constructive, when we played Kyle Turner instead of the injured Dylan Easton we looked way better creatively and weren't totally giving away the midfield when we lost the ball.

I'm no different from a lot of fans who are uncomfortable with the manner of Ian Murrays departure but if you were one of the major investors in the club (old or new) would you be happy with writing off this season just to do the gentlemanly thing at the end of the year... not an easy choice.

What I would say, is I would caveat all of this if another member of the management team was dictating the tactics\playing side and is responsible for the imbalance of the squad (4\5 wingers and 3 defensive mids??) and retract any negativity to Ian Murray (tactics at Tannadice aside 🙂 ).

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

I wonder what style of football folk are wanting? Folk were complaining about the standard of football at the Euros. Everyone tries to play like Pep at the moment or versions of him, which means wingers and attacking wing backs and lots of passing and possession. Folk want quality forwards but they’ve pretty much been eradicated due to the current fashion of football. The good ones (apart from Haaland) are late 20s or 30s. In our league Brian Graham is the best centre forward and he is 36.

Personally, I preferred the style of football in Murray’s first season, but you can’t deny that last season was much better in terms of results. The football in the first half at Firhill in the play-off was excellent. We just hadn’t found a way to dominate games for 90 minutes. It was always 30 mins / 45 mins. And then the last 5 minutes.

I’m not sure that exchanging Bowyer for Murray would be an improvement, but I suppose he is a winner. I like winners but I’d be surprised If it’s him. If it is him, or whoever it is, good luck to them. Also thanks to Ian Murray who did well for us, but just couldn’t get over the line.

Edited by Scary Bear

Not sure the style of play is what the board have looked at, end of the day winning games is what counts and as much as we’d all like to play like Barcelona no one would have cared if we parked the bus against County and won 1-0 with our only attack in 180 minutes.  The board were pretty happy with the first half of the season (offering a contact extension) yet we didn’t blow a single team away in the league, but after 9-18 games the other managers start to figure your tactics out and that’s were Murray fell down in my opinion.  He wasn’t able to change how we played and due to that McCabe especially as his former player knew exactly how to play against us to which Murray had no answers in several attempts. I think the board had their doubts Murray could adapt his teams way of playing and it’s only a matter of time until the other managers start to figure this out. 

1 hour ago, MICMAC said:

15-20% sell on clause for Bowie? Never seen that quoted anywhere except speculation on here at the time. 

All that was said (by  McGlynn I think) was that there was a really good sell on clause and other add-ons.

I don’t think we will ever find out as the deal is confidential. Journalists etc will speculate as will fans. Here’s the article from our website 

https://www.raithrovers.net/kieron-bowie-heads-to-fulham/

Leven is extremely well thought of up here for how well he did pre and post Warnock, not the worst shout in the world.  One of my group chats contained a message simply saying "f**k off" when sharing the Daily Record tweet about him being linked.

That said, Robson got a 2 year contract from an interim spell and it went tits up.  Totally different beast when it comes to managing and building your own squad.

Weird feeling after Sunday.  Murray can leave with a lot of credit - he inherited an absolute mess from Mcglynn with the club at a real low ebb.  Could easily have been dragged into a relegation battle that season, but never looked in danger of that- and had a good Scottish Cup run.

Last season was a massive step on (albeit with the obvious caveat of increased backing), with some superb moments and a real buzz around the club.

He came into a struggling club and played a big part in turning things round.  One of few ex managers in recent times I'd gladly applaud whenever he returns to Starks Park.

Don't feel this decision is one that is obviously wrong however, albeit with some weird timing.  The playoffs showed how important it is to win the league if the club want promoted - and to be honest, if Murray was the man for that then last season was as good a chance as we could realistically hope for.  Now, that was something you could have said in May - so it's fair to question the timing.  Can't help but wonder if imminent cash from the Bowie deal has given the board some impetus to move things along quicker.

Onwards and upwards though, and hopefully for both parties. 

Edited by CALDERON

5 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Murray can leave with a lot of credit - he inherited an absolute mess from Mcglynn with the club at a real low ebb.  Could easily have been dragged into a relegation battle that season, but never looked in danger of that- and had a good Scottish Cup run.

Last season was a massive step on (albeit with the obvious caveat of increased backing), with some superb moments and a real buzz around the club.

He came into a struggling club and played a big part in turning things round.  One of few ex managers in recent times I'd gladly applaud whenever he returns to Starks Park. 

100%

In the first season he turned the team round and we had the cup win over Motherwell and the superb comeback in the diddy cup semi at Dens, when we were down to the absolute bare bones.

I've seen six wins at East End in 25 years. Three of them coming in the last 12 months. To win five derbies is incredible, and the 3-0 cup win was particuarly special.

The Dundee Utd wins home and away were both incredible days to be a Raith fan. 

The Thistle playoff games were both nights that will be long remembered. The away leg for a superb performance, the home leg for the emotion at full time.

All the last gasp goals along the way, some absolute #scenes.

Even when it didn't go to plan, the noise in the Shed at kick off in the scond game up there, and the atmosphere for the last 15 mins at Dingwall were something special.

2 hours ago, Jilted John said:

Professional cladding installer are we ?

or just a professional doom merchant ?

Bowyer won us the league with James McPakes squad of absolute shite. And he done it in his first season. Wasn’t always pretty but he got the job done. And we won crunch games when it mattered. He would be a solid appointment and he has achieved more in the game than Murray and at a better level. 

3 hours ago, raith1974 said:

I just hope the appointment of a new manager doesn't take as long as it takes to clad the main stand lol.

I passed it today, both the ends are up and looks like all the framing for the length so I’d expect it will not take too long to finish now

7 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

Professional cladding installer are we ?

or just a professional doom merchant ?

Just pointing out the fact that the owner of the company (professional cladding installer) stated in his interview.