The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 minutes ago, Oberon43 said:

Why would Scott Brown come to Rovers? He’s on to a good thing at Ayr and they are historically and potentially a bigger team. Makes no sense 

He's fae Cowdenbeath is the best reason I've heard so far. 

5 hours ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

So essentially the FFP have read a list on a bookies website rather than having any source at Starks.

Next manager markets are notorious for odds changing on the back of a few bets. 

If I went on to McBookie now and stuck a tenner on McPake we could get him showing as a "bookmakers favourite" 

FIFY

4 hours ago, renton said:

Now follows two pages on the forensic dissection of grammar in the English language.

Sadly it veered into word meanings.

4 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Fox was an abject failure at Dundee United. He's an absolute no go. You can be a great coach all day long but it's pointless when you need a manager. 

Not that I’m in any way in love with the idea, but with the people already at the Rovers, and the discussions of things and roles, it does seem we’re looking for much more of a coach than a manager…just saying.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

in slightly less dramatic news we have an official confectionary paetner. Who knew such a position existed.

Waiting for the speculation that the placement of Señor Brown in that picture is a coded message…

1 hour ago, SouthStander1876 said:

New manager is under the mask

Wrong codebook.

On a related front, for general consumption, why don’t you lot get out to the pub and drink yerselfs senseless while debating yer pals so we can have a bit of quiet here for a few hours. The levels of angst, and the bites on clear bait, are getting to crazy levels. With the advances in removing meetings, until a final meeting before offering a contract, I would expect it would be done via Zoom, Teams, or some other similar electronic method.

The only clear clue we might get would be a release from a Club that they had knocked back a request to talk to one of their contracted employees. I would expect Ayr would have said that if they had done so, if not to just keep speculation down, plus the fact they haven’t is certainly not optimal for themselves either, so there might be/have been a little fire behind that smoke. On the other hand, the complete lack of any leaks from the Rovers side suggests a pretty firm control of the process, which I would have assumed would include a clear couple of targets, and a plan to arrange contact with them. Of all the rampant rumours going around, the Brown from Ayr one fits the results best (both sides staying silent while hammering out an agreement), BUT I just don’t see the value in what would be a pretty decent chuck of cash being spunked on the manager flavour of the month, especially as he lacks any serious “good to great” managerial CV yet.

Edited by TxRover

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Of all the rampant rumours going around, the Brown from Ayr one fits the results best (both sides staying silent while hammering out an agreement)

Nobody at Ayr is hammering out anything 😴.  You will get a caretaker manager from within your existing squad announced shortly, he will do better than the board expected and given the job until  the end of season whilst they try to convince some people to take the role in the background. 

30 minutes ago, The Tiel Burn said:

Yawn, must try harder.

Whit? I’m stating this as a Rover’s fan. It’s true! I take it you’re under 20 years old with no idea of the history of Scottish football 

1 minute ago, Only me... said:

Nobody at Ayr is hammering out anything 😴.  You will get a caretaker manager from within your existing squad announced shortly, he will do better than the board expected and given the job until  the end of season whilst they try to convince some people to take the role in the background. 

John Potter is a hopeless manager and that has been proven but I would genuinely rather we keep Potter and Cameron in interim charge for an extended period of time than appoint Liam Fox. Could keep the search going in the background and once the results started to dip we can get the new manager in and move them back into their original roles without much mess.

I don’t see any world where Liam Fox is appointed and he’s not sacked or has the fans wanting him sacked before the end of the season so I’d rather we just avoided it entirely.

Hopefully the board have played a blinder though and they have someone lined up that just hasn’t been leaked/reported anywhere. I should trust them based on the work they have done so far but as Rovers fans for many years it’s understandable why a lot of us have this impending feeling of doom.

3 minutes ago, Oberon43 said:

Whit? I’m stating this as a Rover’s fan. It’s true! I take it you’re under 20 years old with no idea of the history of Scottish football 

My knowledge on Ayr United is slim however I'm not even in my 40's yet I've seen the Rovers win a major trophy, win a couple of diddy trophies, seen us play in the top tier and seen us play in Europe. Not sure how many Ayr fans can say that 🤷‍♂️ (happy to be proven wrong though). Back in the present there's probably not much between the teams in terms of ambition/infrastructure before we start wanking over who's the bigger team. 

1 minute ago, Raithie said:

My knowledge on Ayr United is slim however I'm not even in my 40's yet I've seen the Rovers win a major trophy, win a couple of diddy trophies, seen us play in the top tier and seen us play in Europe. Not sure how many Ayr fans can say that 🤷‍♂️ (happy to be proven wrong though). Back in the present there's probably not much between the teams in terms of ambition/infrastructure before we start wanking over who's the bigger team. 

Ayr haven't been in the top flight since 1978 and have never won a national cup competition (not even the challenge cup).  Both clubs have won the second tier in Scotland 6 times.

I'm 44 and at no point during the time I've been watching Scottish Football would I ever have considered Ayr to be a bigger team than Rovers.  

I also wouldn't say that Rovers are significantly bigger than Ayr either (if at all)  Most people would probably consider the teams to be of a similar size.  Just pointing out that his point was just a bit weird.

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

What would "turn us into a wee Celtic" look like?

Arseholes, but smaller! And who really cares about a glamour friendly, they don't even turn up in numbers at Parkhead when we play them proper, and the press would be all over it, ex Celtic captain in charge of the team who signed an alleged rapist. We really don't need the media all over us again.

Can't get why folks on here would be happy with Brown instead of Murray, surely if the club has any ambition they should be aiming for better than him.

8 minutes ago, AUcal said:

Amazing that the fishing attempt there actually got a bite.

That's where we're at just now mate. So desperate for some news that we're reacting to all sorts. 

In my defence, I actually looked it up just to see if there was any merit in the statement and thought I'd share my research.  

1 hour ago, Only me... said:

Nice job of editing out the following statement that I didn’t believe this was true. Work at GB News?

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

Derby game moved to Friday 13th for TV. An ominous date for Dunfermline getting sweet revenge 😔

Got a link for that news? Not doubting, but I can’t see it, and it’s good news for me.

28 minutes ago, lgb61 said:

ex Celtic captain in charge of the team who signed an alleged rapist. We really don't need the media all over us again.

You really had to bring that feckin up again

Edited by SirJimmyofNic