The New Raith Rovers Thread

14 minutes ago, Wardy said:

This just made me double check when I first joined P&B. March 2004. Twenty f**king years. Less than 5000 posts as well. 🤣

March 2003 for me and less than 3000 posts. Not sure if you still can but you used to be able to check who registered in what order, from memory i was around 43.

Onto the Rovers who else is going to the Ross Matthews' Testimonial Match, hopefully will be a decent turnout but both teams poor form might affect the crowd.

3 hours ago, Pride of Fife said:

Whether you wrote it here or Fantalk or wherever doesn’t make much difference does it? Abracadabra!

Joined FanTalk at the same time…whoops, sorry to ruin that argument.

8 hours ago, raithrover91 said:

I think we need a new goalkeeper coach Robbie is either not working on or ignoring kevs weaknesses which are clearing the ball away and commanding his box. He's an excellent shot stopper but I think Kev needs a change of coach. 

I'd disagree. Personally I don't think any coach will be able to change what is 20+ years of doing things one way in a short time. If you watch Kev when the ball is played back to him, his first touch isn't well controlled, its tentative and looks like what you get when you fire a size 5 ball at a four year old, which causes issues with the kick at times. Thats not going to be a fix you can make in a few weeks or months. Trying to teach any adult to forget how they do something and showing them another way of doing it, isn't easy. If ww want a keeper who is excellent with the ball at feet, we maybe need a new keeper, but its guaranteed to be someone who's poorer in areas Kev excels in. 

As for commanding the box, thats something that has to come from Kev and the defensive line. It doesn't feel like there is trust there and thats something that comes with experience and playing time as well as coaching and confidence. 

8 hours ago, raithrover91 said:

I think we need a new goalkeeper coach Robbie is either not working on or ignoring kevs weaknesses which are clearing the ball away and commanding his box. He's an excellent shot stopper but I think Kev needs a change of coach. 

Maybe not Robbie raithrover91.  Perhaps one of the experienced full backs could take up this role?

Their skillset in the footwork department will be greater than Robbie's.

Whoever does it though, I agree it definitely needs done, and bloody quickly!

25 minutes ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

Maybe not Robbie raithrover91.  Perhaps one of the experienced full backs could take up this role?

Their skillset in the footwork department will be greater than Robbie's.

Whoever does it though, I agree it definitely needs done, and bloody quickly!

This might be the most mental thing I've read in a good wee while. And I've been keeping an eye on the Caley thread.

9 hours ago, raithrover91 said:

A change of coach will make no or little difference. It's not Kevs way to command his box and he just looks awkward with the ball at his feet. 

I agree i don't t think you can overcome the kicking issue. He can improve but under pressure or low confidence he'll return to his default settings.

He belongs in the time before the passback rule which is weird as its older than he is. 

It's the same with coming out to collect the ball, you can work on it but it'll always be a weakness. Some of the saves he does make though can't be taught.

Glasgow v Edinburgh rugby has been confirmed for Sunday 22nd December at Hampden so I’d say there is a good chance our game gets bumped to the Friday night to allow Saturday for pitch changes etc 

🤮

Edited by Spider Rico

9 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Glasgow v Edinburgh rugby has been confirmed for Sunday 22nd December at Hampden so I’d say there is a good chance our game gets bumped to the Friday night to allow Saturday for pitch changes etc 

🤮

The greenie I just gave you wasn't because I liked what you had to say, but more for keeping us informed.

Cheers.

10 hours ago, raithrover91 said:

At very start of the season, in the cup games, it looked like Kev had made improvements in both those areas.  Which will have been a result of Robbie working with him.  But he’s then made a few errors, his confidence seems to have dipped as a result and he’s went back to his old habits.

10 minutes ago, SanStarko said:

At very start of the season, in the cup games, it looked like Kev had made improvements in both those areas.  Which will have been a result of Robbie working with him.  But he’s then made a few errors, his confidence seems to have dipped as a result and he’s went back to his old habits.

Robbie can coach all the correct habits in training till the cows come home, but in the heat of a match its down to Kevins decision making. More often than not he resorts to what he has done for years when having to make a split second decision. For example to punch it rather than catch it, to stay on line rather than come for the ball.

Robbie is regarded as a highly comptetent gk coach. Id be binning the goalie before the coach.

Edited by R12ATH