The New Raith Rovers Thread

Smith was after £700 a week apparently, Falkirk agreed to it and we didn't.

On a two year deal? Just goes to show the difference in what we can realistically offer and one or two of the other teams can.

Having Rangers, Hearts and Hibs in the league, along with the higher prize money now on offer is bound to have an effect on what players are looking for. I'm sure either Murray or Hutton commented on that during the close season that players' expectations had increased markedly.

Smith was probably on about £700 anyway being a Hearts player, and why would he want to take less money? I'm quite glad we're not trying to pay him that, if it is indeed true.

Maybe he's improved since he was with us last, but Smith was fairly poor during his loan spell at Stark's.

He had one particularly good game against Falkirk, where I think he scored and set up a goal, but he wasn't anything startling, and certainly not worth that type of reported wage.

Having Rangers, Hearts and Hibs in the league, along with the higher prize money now on offer is bound to have an effect on what players are looking for. I'm sure either Murray or Hutton commented on that during the close season that players' expectations had increased markedly.

Smith was probably on about £700 anyway being a Hearts player, and why would he want to take less money? I'm quite glad we're not trying to pay him that, if it is indeed true.

For me, that's why the two year deal is quite dangerous, as you end up having to slash your budget (probably) in year two so that your player now makes up an even larger percentage of your wage bill. Unless he truly is irreplacable, then it's simply not worth it.

Edited by renton

For me, that's why the two year deal is quite dangerous, as you end up having to slash your budget (probably) in year two so that your player now makes up an even larger percentage of your wage bill. Unless he truly is irreplacable, then it's simply not worth it.

It is, although I do maintain we should be looking to tie up our better players on them. There is a balance we can strike without gubbing ourselves, which I trust the board not to do. If you could accuse of of anything where finances are concerned, we're perhaps too careful.

As for Smith - he was excellent in that game against Falkirk and they ended up putting three men on him. Unfortunately, the rest of his spell was pretty disappointing.

Surely not!

Still bitter we didn't do more to keep Baird. Should've been a pay him what he wants kind of deal IMO. On a two year deal.

Looking like nothing tonight then, which is highy disappointing. Maybe we'll wait for a panic signing when the clocks go back and we start losing every week again.

I know, eh? He had a better game on Saturday right enough. More of that please.

Whoever it was that originally RT'd the old post from June on the Rovers page about the signing news being announced at 11pm - well played. Caught a few corkers over on Facebook. Boys will be crying into their lion bar cereal tomorrow morning when they realise what's happened.