The New Raith Rovers Thread

Has McKay really been that bad ? I seen him on his debut and he looked ok, bit pacey, no real end product though but still perhaps not great, but not utterly horrendous ... Haven't seen any other games due to being away, so is the genuine feeling he is a dud !?

In the couple of times I've seen him there have been far too many stupid flicks in dangerous positions, no hint of any defensive responsibility and I can't recall even one decent cross from him. I've never been a huge fan of Grant Anderson but he's miles better than McKay.

Mcgurn

Thomson Watson Hill Conroy

McKay Moon Fox Anderson

Scott

Stewart

That looks a really decent team,

You're having a laugh right?

Scott is woeful in the aux striker role, Moon and Fox are so off form it's difficult to believe they are professional footballers, Watson too,McKay is lazy as offers nothing defensively which is part of a wingers game. I've seen nothing from Conroy that would suggest he'd be any good at full back.

Wholesale changes for me on Saturday I'd give Perry another chance given that he's been playing through injury and should be good enough to play against Alloa. I'd go with:

McGurn

Thomson Perry Hill McKeown

Anderson Callaghan Scott Conroy

Vaughan

Stewart

Bit of a time-out required for messers Moon, fox, Watson and Laidlaw. McKay better used as an impact sub.

Scott is awful in that role? His best two games for us have been his last two games in which he played that role. He looked by far our worst signing of the summer for the first 6 weeks until he was moved into that position. Now it looks like we have a player on our hands. Were you at the game last weekend? He got two assists against Qots playing in that role then scored the goal that brought us back into the game for 45 seconds last weekend. Everybody actually felt sorry for him and Anderson who were heads and shoulders above the rest of the team last week. He was also excellent against livi again scoring from being played in that role which he said in an interview through the week, is his preferred role anyway as he is an attacking midfielder not a centre- mid.

Perry in for Watson, would have to be the worst replacement you could possibly make to the team. I don't want to see Perry anywhere near the team ever again. Awful Awful footballer, and you want to bring him back into the team after us all wanting rid of him just a few weeks ago?

Callachan and Vaughn have both showed absolutely no reason in why they should be near that starting line-up.

Conroy has done far more defending than Mckeown has since the start of the season, so out of back-four, Mckeown would be the one, I'd like to see get some time on the bench.

McKay's debut was against livi when he came on for the last 15 mins. He could and probably should have had about 3 assists in that time if stewart could only score a one-on-one. His next game we kept a clean sheet in and finished 0-0 so he did enough defending in that game. The following game, I thought he played fantastic at Easter Road, he also hit the bar from about 25 yards. QotS on the other hand, I'd agree with you on, he was awful that game which is the reason he was replaced by Anderson. So 1 bad game out of 4 makes him awful?

So no, I wasn't having a laugh with my preferred line-up.

Edited by Rovers1992/1993

Conroy at LB?! He doesn't tackle, he doesn't have pace and he'd struggle to give your team the attacking threat he possesses from there. Madness to consider him at LB. Either LM or CM.

Conroy at LB?! He doesn't tackle, he doesn't have pace and he'd struggle to give your team the attacking threat he possesses from there. Madness to consider him at LB. Either LM or CM.

Completely agree. A winger in the mould of Anderson or Cardle, while far from ideal, would be tenacious and stick to their man if forced to play left back. Conroy? I like him for the most part but it'd be madness to play him there I think.

The team tomorrow, given who's available, should really be:

McGurn

Thomson

Watson

Hill (if fit)

McKeown

Anderson

Fox

Moon

Conroy

Scott

Stewart

It's not ideal but if we replaced Moon or Fox with Nade, and arguably Hill with Barr, it'd probably be our strongest line-up. Frightening. However I really don't think McGurn will play, Murray is desperately trying to keep Laidlaw in the team to avoid a tough decision when Cuthbert returns from injury. Murray promised Cuthbert he'd be number one and it'd be difficult to drop a fit and performing McGurn..

On Barrie McKay, I think some people are being irrationally harsh due to his seeming lack of effort/care in the same manner I was with the likes of David Templeton and David Smith down the years. He's an impact sub if ever there was one, little more. If/when we're struggling around 70 minutes tomorrow, taking off a CM, shifting Conroy inside and putting McKay wide would be a shrewd move.

Completely agree. A winger in the mould of Anderson or Cardle, while far from ideal, would be tenacious and stick to their man if forced to play left back. Conroy? I like him for the most part but it'd be madness to play him there I think.

The team tomorrow, given who's available, should really be:

McGurn

Thomson

Watson

Hill (if fit)

McKeown

Anderson

Fox

Moon

Conroy

Scott

Stewart

It's not ideal but if we replaced Moon or Fox with Nade, and arguably Hill with Barr, it'd probably be our strongest line-up. Frightening. However I really don't think McGurn will play, Murray is desperately trying to keep Laidlaw in the team to avoid a tough decision when Cuthbert returns from injury. Murray promised Cuthbert he'd be number one and it'd be difficult to drop a fit and performing McGurn..

On Barrie McKay, I think some people are being irrationally harsh due to his seeming lack of effort/care in the same manner I was with the likes of David Templeton and David Smith down the years. He's an impact sub if ever there was one, little more. If/when we're struggling around 70 minutes tomorrow, taking off a CM, shifting Conroy inside and putting McKay wide would be a shrewd move.

What sort of manager makes promises to new players to play them every week? If this is true then it's not good. A player should be working his arse off to make himself a 1st pick. Furthermore, if McGurn IS fit and this IS the only reason he isn't replacing Laidlaw then Murray is a p***k.

As for team on Saturday, given that Alloa will defend in numbers then space will be hard to find up front and it might take a wee bit magic to open them up. If we were to line up in the shape you give then, not suggesting Anderson should be dropped but think McKay should mibee get another chance, maybe in a free role behind Stewart, Scott either dropping to bench or preferably replacing Fox in middle

What sort of manager makes promises to new players to play them every week? If this is true then it's not good. A player should be working his arse off to make himself a 1st pick. Furthermore, if McGurn IS fit and this IS the only reason he isn't replacing Laidlaw then Murray is a p***k.

Should point out I'm reading between the lines and certainly can't say I have any insider source or anything. The facts are Cuthbert was offered a new deal with Hamilton in the SPL, left as he didn't want to be number two to McGovern, and signed for us very quickly after. The only conclusion to draw from that is a promise of first-team football. If Laidlaw is still playing in a month's time when Cuthbert returns it'll be a unanimous decision to bring him back in, whereas if McGurn is playing, and playing well, it'd be a very unpopular decision to drop him.

On top of that McGurn is our only part-timer (Hill?) and under Murray we've been moving away from that, even to the extent of losing the assistant manager and hiring a full-time physio. What seems beyond doubt to me is Murray wants Cuthbert to be number one and McGurn was given a contract as a show of appreciation for his service to get him fit again - he'll be gone at the end of the season where we'll become "properly" full-time, and Tuesday and Thursday nights will become a thing of the past.

I suppose we'll see tomorrow. Certainly bringing McGurn in would give the fans a lift, and if Laidlaw plays and drops a clanger things could start to get pretty poisonous for Murray...

Should point out I'm reading between the lines and certainly can't say I have any insider source or anything. The facts are Cuthbert was offered a new deal with Hamilton in the SPL, left as he didn't want to be number two to McGovern, and signed for us very quickly after. The only conclusion to draw from that is a promise of first-team football. If Laidlaw is still playing in a month's time when Cuthbert returns it'll be a unanimous decision to bring him back in, whereas if McGurn is playing, and playing well, it'd be a very unpopular decision to drop him.

On top of that McGurn is our only part-timer (Hill?) and under Murray we've been moving away from that, even to the extent of losing the assistant manager and hiring a full-time physio. What seems beyond doubt to me is Murray wants Cuthbert to be number one and McGurn was given a contract as a show of appreciation for his service to get him fit again - he'll be gone at the end of the season where we'll become "properly" full-time, and Tuesday and Thursday nights will become a thing of the past.

I suppose we'll see tomorrow. Certainly bringing McGurn in would give the fans a lift, and if Laidlaw plays and drops a clanger things could start to get pretty poisonous for Murray...

McGurn, unless he gets a start soon, could be away in January as he only signed for six months.

McGurn, unless he gets a start soon, could be away in January as he only signed for six months.

Was unaware of that, and I'm very disappointed to hear it. It's almost certainly Laidlaw tomorrow and Davie gone in January then.

:(

Start the guy then, if he's fit. If he is fit why is Laidlaw keeping him out the team. No offence but there is no way Laidlaw is a better keeper. Edited by Scary Bear

McKay's debut was against livi when he came on for the last 15 mins. He could and probably should have had about 3 assists in that time if stewart could only score a one-on-one. His next game we kept a clean sheet in and finished 0-0 so he did enough defending in that game. The following game, I thought he played fantastic at Easter Road, he also hit the bar from about 25 yards. QotS on the other hand, I'd agree with you on, he was awful that game which is the reason he was replaced by Anderson. So 1 bad game out of 4 makes him awful?

He was woeful at Easter Road, gave the ball away many times - one of which led to the goal which he also didn't track back on, leaving McKeown exposed two on one.

Scott is awful in that role? His best two games for us have been his last two games in which he played that role. He looked by far our worst signing of the summer for the first 6 weeks until he was moved into that position. Now it looks like we have a player on our hands. Were you at the game last weekend? He got two assists against Qots playing in that role then scored the goal that brought us back into the game for 45 seconds last weekend. Everybody actually felt sorry for him and Anderson who were heads and shoulders above the rest of the team last week. He was also excellent against livi again scoring from being played in that role which he said in an interview through the week, is his preferred role anyway as he is an attacking midfielder not a centre- mid.

Perry in for Watson, would have to be the worst replacement you could possibly make to the team. I don't want to see Perry anywhere near the team ever again. Awful Awful footballer, and you want to bring him back into the team after us all wanting rid of him just a few weeks ago?

Callachan and Vaughn have both showed absolutely no reason in why they should be near that starting line-up.

Conroy has done far more defending than Mckeown has since the start of the season, so out of back-four, Mckeown would be the one, I'd like to see get some time on the bench.

So no, I wasn't having a laugh with my preferred line-up.

you don't watch the same game as me. Wasn't at last weeks game but watched it online.

Sorry but Scott is rotten in that role - a complete fish out of water. Came into a game when moved back into centre mid against qots, which is by far his best position. He generally plods about managing to be in the wrong place 9/10. Clearly looks uncomfortable in that role and lacks genuine pace and ability which is a prerequisite for behind the striker role.

For me. Vaughan wouldn't be near the starting lineup if Elliot or nade were fit, but he's better than Scott in that role.

Wtf has Callaghan done wrong rxactly? Watching fox over the last year has made me want to claw my eyes out. He is fuckin garbage. Moon is a shadow of his former self.

McKay is a lazy, lazy little p***k. Contributed to the lose of the 3rd against queens, losing the ball stupidly and then not back tracking leaving Thomson 2 on 1, allowing the cross to come in. Cost the goal against hibs doing almost exactly the same. He's a passenger and to be quite honest should be punted back to rangers. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong but Anderson needs to play ahead of him and that's saying something.

Conroy is not a left back. Never ever. Period.

You want perry out but afford Watson grace - he's another one who is a shadow of himself - utterly pish.

You've clearly got your favourites... You're not grant Murray are you?