Nom Nom Nom

6 hours ago, microdave said:

I'm going to make a batch of something this weekend that I can freeze afterwards. I've previously made stew, chilli, lasagne, chicken curry and paella but I'm looking for something new this time. Ideas?

Bolognaise sauce.

Defrost it, heat up some pasta and voilà.

BTW I really dislike paella that has been frozen then reheated.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Just knocked up about 3 litres of Dan Toombes base Gravy for curries. Should be enough for about 20 top notch curries. Well worth the effort.

Thought he just liked human livers.

Massive Italian love in at my house this weather. Probably thanks to Stanley Tucci tbh. Had carbonara tonight which I genuinely feel I have finally nailed down properly, and also cooking a Sugo D'Anatra for the weekend.

3 hour simmer of duck legs in a white wine/stock/tomato sauce with cinnamon and orange.

Our favourite restaurant has adopted a ‘tasting menu’.  We tried it for the first time this evening and in all honesty it was too much food, though every course was wonderful.

Also how can you not like a meal where you get two puddings?

B4E6D2D7-BF76-48FD-BE9A-29074CFFA9D4.thumb.jpeg.ba8a389c412f5fce74dc3bb160d3aebb.jpeg

16 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Massive Italian love in at my house this weather. Probably thanks to Stanley Tucci tbh. Had carbonara tonight which I genuinely feel I have finally nailed down properly, and also cooking a Sugo D'Anatra for the weekend.

3 hour simmer of duck legs in a white wine/stock/tomato sauce with cinnamon and orange.

What's your carbonara method? The duck sounds immense.

Edited by jimbaxters

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

What's your carbonara method? The duck sounds immense.

I have changed it ever so slightly, in that once the pasta is cooked, I add the bacon/oil to the pasta, then add the reserved pasta water to that, let it emulsify with the oil, then add the egg/parmesan mix to that. Let it thicken and thats it. Previously I was adding the water in last. This way seems to come out a lot creamier. 

23 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I have changed it ever so slightly, in that once the pasta is cooked, I add the bacon/oil to the pasta, then add the reserved pasta water to that, let it emulsify with the oil, then add the egg/parmesan mix to that. Let it thicken and thats it. Previously I was adding the water in last. This way seems to come out a lot creamier. 

Good shout. I add the water last but only a little at a time. Will give your way a try. 

Bacon? Did I not read you were a guanciale convert? 

Edited by jimbaxters

6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Good shout. I add the water last but only a little at a time. Will give your way a try. 

Bacon? Did I not read you were a guanciale convert? 

Yeah but it was a last minute decision I didnt have time to go to the wee Italian deli

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah but it was a last minute decision I didnt have time to go to the wee Italian deli

Fair enough.

When you do, see if you can get a wee bit of pecorino and go half and half with that and the parmigiano. Makes a difference.

Edited by jimbaxters

4 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Fair enough.

When you do, see if you can get a wee bit of pecorino and go half and half with that and the parmigiano. Makes a difference.

Aye I keep meaning to buy pecorino, mainly to have a stab at a cacio e pepe