Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

32 minutes ago, virginton said:

That's not a kilt champ, thanks for playing anyway.

For those interested in the litany of falsehoods and reinventions of Highland culture, the bulk of Trever-Roper's takedown in The Invention of Tradition can be read on Google Books to judge for yourselves:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=sfvnNdVY3KIC&pg=PA28&dq=kilt+invention&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiGu_T2wuLuAhWygVwKHVXKCl0QuwUwAHoECAEQBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Hide contents

Bonus points if you had 'anti-Irish staunchness' on the Highland bingo card for this one. 

Happy to be schooled on the history of the Highlands and their fashions. Not something i know a lot about to be honest. 

I'll try to be more historically accurate with my light hearted quips in future. 

Incidentally, if i hadn't self-censored and gone with my original angle that it was cultural appropriation from tribes of uncivilised savages, would that have made you madder? 

45 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Falkirk fans moaning as per about how its an injustice the way they're being treated.   After all they deserve to be in the top league  you know.

They seem to forget they're in tier 3 for reasons all of their own making.

Strong rumour going round that Calimero will be the new mascot 

4078123a69f689061497d545c1260cac.jpg.c00485960a71220eaa43c6f5c01ce30d.jpg

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Falkirk fans moaning as per about how its an injustice the way they're being treated.   After all they deserve to be in the top league  you know.

They seem to forget they're in tier 3 for reasons all of their own making.

star trek deal with it GIF

I was beginning to think it was self parody and they were playing up to it. I've come back round to thinking they are utterly delusional.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Many years ago when I worked in light engineering the sight of the lathe operators turning up to work in a suit and bow tie was a joy.

Well it would have been if any of them were daft enough to do it.

I would only wear a tie with a suit and only in essential situations like court appearances, then only in the hope of a lighter sentence.

There speaks the voice of experience.

I'd get it (though wouldn't particularly agree)if he didn't want to put his hands on the woman given the world we live in now. But to not cover her and phone for help is truly a sign of a complete c**t.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
27 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I'd get it (though wouldn't particularly agree)if he didn't want to put his hands on the woman given the world we live in now. But to not cover her and phone for help is truly a sign of a complete c**t.

There’s no excusing it. Absolute c**t. 

13 hours ago, G51 said:

Suits are relics of a bygone age. Wearing one for work is ridiculous unless you're a lawyer or something. For at least 95% of jobs you shouldn't be wearing anything flashier than a polo shirt and a pair of jeans. You're here to bring your damn lunch pail (did I use that right @AmericanFan), not to strut your stuff down a catwalk. Save your suit for special occasions, such as a close family members wedding or managing a football team in a cup final.

Every time I see someone wearing a bow tie, I instantly assume they're registered with either the Conservative Party or the list of sex offenders. So unfortunately, a bow tie isn't an option.

haha, right on, mate.

12 hours ago, G51 said:

Lets think about it though, the things most commonly associated with Scottish culture:

Highlands: Kilts/tartan, Whisky, Scots-Gaelic, Scenery, Clans, Highland Games, Ceilidh's

Americans would probably add the movie Highlander in association with the Highlands.

13 hours ago, 101 said:

True but lowland Scots have been wearing them in decent numbers since 1800s and of course most of us with have Highland ancestry, I don't think it compares to a native American headrest

:lol: True, sadly true.

Wear what you like, 100%! 

Native American headrest:

0B5F66A5-0EAA-49C1-BBB6-E463B3009606.jpeg

Native American head dress: 

B20E9EC0-7C8E-4047-9252-FE4BCD4E0C3C.jpeg

HTH 

Edited by alta-pete

On 08/02/2021 at 18:17, hearthammer said:

Been dragged a wee bit further into the 21st century today with the installation of a new SkyQ box.  The 2 guys who arrived to oversee my self-installation (from outside giving instructions due to covid) must have been pulling what's left of their hair oot as i was holding up cable after cable from behind the tv/sound system/sky box, only to have it confirmed almost all are no longer required. I'm also a coo wi' a gun with all things techy or electrical, so chapeau to the guys.

Seems i'm all sorted now - well, it all seems to be working.    Result. 

After 5 days and with no "Reminder" setting for (mainly football/current affairs) programmes, i'm now starting to wish i'd stuck with a new HD box rather than the newer "Q" box.  I was unaware this function was not on the options, otherwise i'd have considered things differently.

Anyone else been caught out by this, or am i the only luddite who expected it to be there ??