Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

21 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

I’m the same, lower league football is far better. It means something. It’s not tilted (in general) to the cash cows. I detest the EPL & will actively avoid watching it. So much as I wear a blindfold when it on in the pub. I hate it & everything it stands for. It would have been great if the super league had taken off, 90% of true fans would have no interest in it, EPL fan boys are worse than mass murderers in my opinion. c***s that haven’t spent 90 minutes watching absolute dirge on the pitch, yet walk away happy. That’s me. 

I haven't watched the EPL in about 10 years and don't care for it at all.

18 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Strathclyde Uni posted a photo of their Department of Computer Science from when it opened it 1967.

409000047_741776937976434_83083375972628

When my father was at tech college in the early 70s, their "computing" class had no actual computers. They were taught Pascal from a book, coded their programs onto punch tapes that were then sent off to a university computing department somewhere. A week later they'd get a roll of computer paper back that if they were lucky, had the results on them, but most often just returned "ERROR".

22 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Strathclyde Uni posted a photo of their Department of Computer Science from when it opened it 1967.

409000047_741776937976434_83083375972628

I remember that. An ICL 1905 machine, as I recall.

Immediate foreground, line printer and print waste bin.

Far background, operators console ( teletypewriter ).

Tape decks for data storage to the right.

Wrote my first program there,  Fortran language.

Edited by beefybake

8 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

When my father was at tech college in the early 70s, their "computing" class had no actual computers. They were taught Pascal from a book, coded their programs onto punch tapes that were then sent off to a university computing department somewhere. A week later they'd get a roll of computer paper back that if they were lucky, had the results on them, but most often just returned "ERROR".

4 hours ago, beefybake said:

I remember that. An ICL 1905 machine, as I recall.

Immediate foreground, line printer and print waste bin.

Far background, operators console ( teletypewriter ).

Tape decks for data storage to the right.

Wrote my first program there,  Fortran language.

Missed punch card programming by one semester, but we still used terminals to a remote mainframe. 8” Elephant brand DSDD floppy that could hold 1.2MB. Lotus 1-2-3 and D-Base, COBOL, FORTRAN ‘77, all completely out of date by the time we graduated.

Over on the TV and Film subforum, your fellow posters are voting for their favourite TV shows of all time.

Everyone is welcome to participate. Closing date is 31st of December and the big countdown begins on new year's day.

4 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

It has to be said. Kylie Is an absolute belter.

Still the best smelling gig I've ever been too,no sweaty long haired folk throwing bevy and not the usual drunkards ruining the evening