Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

I have to go to Dumfries tonight, and I'm distinctly unenthusiastic. We'll spend a fortune, Ayr will lose and the standard of football is garbage.

The only consolation is the bus isn't leaving until 6 p.m., so we'll probably miss the first ten minutes.

(di)ethyl ether net.

If ethernet is an attempt at a pun, they should be shot. No wonder I never got it.

EDIT - I've just googled 'ethernet' and it's actually a real thing. I never knew that, hence my not getting of the pun. Still rubbish though.

Chuckling permission denied

:(

You'd love this chatup line I saw the other day then.

If I was sin2 and you were cos2 together we would be 1

:(

Heard it before. :ph34r:

I have to go to Dumfries tonight, and I'm distinctly unenthusiastic. We'll spend a fortune, Ayr will lose and the standard of football is garbage.

The only consolation is the bus isn't leaving until 6 p.m., so we'll probably miss the first ten minutes.

Oi. Every trip to Dumfries is a blessing and a joy that should be revered and the lord thanked for every minute spent there ...

and you probably wont lose :(

In my local Co-op (or Scotmid, whatever), one of the checkout women is a wee old lady. She's very pleasant any time I've used her checkout, a wee bit doddery at times but nothing too bad.

The thing is, I feel sad any time I look at her, cos she's clearly over normal retirement age, she might even be closer to 70 than 60. I hope she's working a couple of shifts a week to get out the house, meet people and earn a wee bit of pocket money, but I fear that she might need the cash to make ends meet, and has to put herself through a job she hates, long after she should have given up working.

I want to ask her why she works there but if I got the latter answer, it might crush my soul. Probably cos I might just have seen my future.

In my local Co-op (or Scotmid, whatever), one of the checkout women is a wee old lady. She's very pleasant any time I've used her checkout, a wee bit doddery at times but nothing too bad.

The thing is, I feel sad any time I look at her, cos she's clearly over normal retirement age, she might even be closer to 70 than 60. I hope she's working a couple of shifts a week to get out the house, meet people and earn a wee bit of pocket money, but I fear that she might need the cash to make ends meet, and has to put herself through a job she hates, long after she should have given up working.

I want to ask her why she works there but if I got the latter answer, it might crush my soul. Probably cos I might just have seen my future.

You should go to the customer service desk/speak to the manager and compliment her on her good service. I usually do it if a young 'un on the checkouts is pleasant enough because it'll give them a boost, but I suppose it'll work equally well on cobwebbed old spinsters :)

Edited by Shawfield Stallion

My gran has long since passed retirement age, but works because she loves her job and doesn't want to just sit at home, so it might not be as bad as you think!

I definitely wouldn't ask her why she was still working there. She may then wonder why you're asking the question and be offended when you say "Well, you obviously are well past retirement age". She might be one of those young at heart people that doesn't feel it and enjoys working or only 50 and had a hard paper round.

Another thing- an American guy whom I met in NZ is going to a funeral tomorrow. I know this because the funeral has been listed as an event through facebook- entitled "Funeral". Surely even "memorial service for <person>" is a wee bit better?

I know it's modern and all that, but it just seems a bit odd.

Thankfully no-one's clicked "like" on his profile where it says he's attending :ph34r:

Edited by Fuctifano

My gran has long since passed retirement age, but works because she loves her job and doesn't want to just sit at home, so it might not be as bad as you think!

true. but, tbf, geriatric wing-walking teams are rare. wheras this nice old lady who works in this co-op could easily be replaced by a machine.

Guest The Phoenix

1 down and down to 10 men after 18 minutes.

Looks like you were right. :lol:

Oi. Every trip to Dumfries is a blessing and a joy that should be revered and the lord thanked for every minute spent there ...

and you probably wont lose :(

1 down and down to 10 men after 18 minutes.

Looks like you were right. :lol:

Yeah, I certainly got the second bit wrong. Hopefully, they enjoyed their trip down :)

There's a woman at my work who has just retired - she was 70 on 23rd December. Have no idea how she still managed to do night shift and not be absolutely knackered.