Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

My cousin is in 6th year at Invergordon Academy up here and is studying Advanced Higher Physics, Advanced Higher Chemistry, Higher English and Higher History. Not that is quite a heavy timetable IMO (they don't get study periods either apparently), but the clueless fool of a headteacher is forcing every 6th year to also do an Open University course in Robotics so they are kept very busy in their 6th year. No matter how full your timetable is, you have to do it :huh:

Those 4 subjects would only total 24 periods in what I am assuming is a minimum of a 30 period week, probably more.

What are they expected to do in their 'study periods' if they aren't 'study periods'?

Edited by Fudge

Those 4 subjects would only total 24 periods in what I am assuming is a minimum of a 30 period week, probably more.

What are they expected to do in their 'study periods' if they aren't 'study periods'?

After a bit more digging it turns out that any free periods were designated as study periods, but then they were taken away last week and replaced with Robotics now. So even if you planned to study - which to her credit she would do - you can't because you are now stuck in classrooms on computers doing Robotics for all your remaining free/study periods (I'll need to ask her how many that is). One of her friends is doing 5 Highers and still has to do this Robotics thing along with it.

It appears to be poorly thought out.

My cousin is in 6th year at Invergordon Academy up here and is studying Advanced Higher Physics, Advanced Higher Chemistry, Higher English and Higher History. Not that is quite a heavy timetable IMO (they don't get study periods either apparently), but the clueless fool of a headteacher is forcing every 6th year to also do an Open University course in Robotics so they are kept very busy in their 6th year. No matter how full your timetable is, you have to do it :huh:

In a 40 period week at my school that would have worked out at:

5 taught Chemistry periods and 3 (or 4) lab periods

5 taught Physics periods and 3 (or 4) lab periods

7 taught English periods

7 taught History periods

That means 32 periods of 40 for actual classes. How is that remotely heavy? I had one free double period in S6 on a Monday afternoon and it was a waste of time anyway which I ended up just spending in the History base working on my dissertations.

7 taught English periods

7 taught History periods

That means 32 periods of 40 for actual classes. How is that remotely heavy? I had one free double period in S6 on a Monday afternoon and it was a waste of time anyway which I ended up just spending in the History base working on my dissertations.

I had friday off in 6th year. It was excellent. :D

That means 32 periods of 40 for actual classes. How is that remotely heavy?

Presumably because my cousin commented that she found 5th year a lot of work. And she has already said that she thinks this year will be a heavy workload.

After a bit more digging it turns out that any free periods were designated as study periods, but then they were taken away last week and replaced with Robotics now. So even if you planned to study - which to her credit she would do - you can't because you are now stuck in classrooms on computers doing Robotics for all your remaining free/study periods (I'll need to ask her how many that is). One of her friends is doing 5 Highers and still has to do this Robotics thing along with it.

It appears to be poorly thought out.

I'm on your side, thats pish. Sixth year is supposed to be fun! You do the hard work in fifth year, and then spend 6th year being a reprobate and enjoying your final year of school. You SHOULD be given some free periods if you've managed to get all your hard work out of the way the year before. I spent my sixth year playing cards, sciving, and yet got better grades than I managed in fifth year. There needs to be balance.

7 taught English periods

7 taught History periods

Did you go to private school?

When I was in 6th I did 3 subjects and had 12 free periods a week. I left half way through.

Did you go to private school?

When I was in 6th I did 3 subjects and had 12 free periods a week. I left half way through.

Yes. Whilst I had only 2 free periods most did very little in S6 and had about 1/4 of the week completely free.

I'm in sixth year, I do int 2 hospitality, higher photography, higher English and adv Graphics. I get ten free periods a week and we just play cards. It's brilliant.

That explains it all

I'm in sixth year, I do int 2 hospitality, higher photography, higher English and adv Graphics. I get ten free periods a week and we just play cards. It's brilliant.

The world's your oyster with qualifications like that.

All I studied in 6th year was AH Maths and H Geography. My other choice was PPU (basically P.E without the theory work and exams - dunno if other schools call it something else?) twice and a study period so the way my timetable worked out 9am-3.40pm on a Thursday was just football all day. :D

6th year is overrated IMO. I spent the first few months skiving like f**k playing pool and table tennis in the common room(even skiving gets pretty boring after a while). But when we started Advanced Higher Biology/Chemistry projects, I had to get my arse in gear. Didn't need the grades but ended up doing pretty well.