Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

I really should give the film a go. I deliberately avoided it because I was weary of the coverage Ralston was getting. He lives not too far from me, so the local news (sic) outlets were going nuts about him. That and I can't be doing with James Franco. However, several people have told me he's good in it. Including posters on P&B and if you can't trust the judgement of P&B posters it's a poor lookout.

Yeah, it's a good performance from him.

Probably a pointless watch if you're familiar with the story, however.

The missus has her driving test this morning, she's 37 weeks pregnant. I'm not going home tonight if she fails.

It's a good tactic by your missus here. My sister in law was at about the same stage and the examiner couldn't pass her and get her out of the car quick enough.

Alright, question. Occasionally I'll see a movie about spelunking or similar, like The Descent or 127 Hours, where somebody goes off into the middle of nowhere to an incredibly dangerous place without telling a soul. Inevitably, they get themselves in trouble and either die, or are forced to amputate their limbs and eat them in order to survive. I always have a wee laugh to myself at the start of these films due to the stupidity of the main characters - surely nobody is that stupid in the real world? Nobody would actually do something like this without making a call to a friend or family member, telling them to call the emergency services if they didn't check in again by a certain time?

Do people seriously do this? :o

Yes. A caver in my club (still caving in his 70s now), a nutter when younger, once got into trouble in the North West Highlands where he thought it would be clever to do a bit of solo cave diving given that nobody else fancied it that weekend.

Bit of the cave roof fell off, ripping much of the skin and muscle from his upper arm. This all meant he had to self rescue himself back through a submerged sump, back along 1km of stream passage, a bitch of a tight vertical entrance (which I struggle with sometimes) and a 2 mile walk back to the car during the pre-mobile phone era. Fair calmed his antics down a bit though, this being the founder of the Scottish Cave Rescue Organisation and a policeman at the time. At the time all of the fellow cavers were based in Edinburgh, so even letting them know would have had a crazy response time had he not called from a phone box at a given time (think 1970's A9 and Ullapool area road system up).

Folk obviously called bullshit until they found drips of blood all through the drier parts where he said he'd been. And the missing section of arm of course.

#lad

Edited by Hedgecutter

I do, it's a bit of a drive away though

Me too, one of the Rosettes is stopping at her mate's house tonight.

While theoretically spare, then, it does smell strongly of Yankee candles, and is OCD-level tidy.

And it's in Yorkshire...

I liked the bit in 127 Hours where while facing near certain death he contemplated having one final w**k to the picture of girls that were on his camera. A truly touching portrait of humanity, there.

If it was a P&B member they'd be finding content from booitsme7.