Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Had a sudden and acute epiphany last night.

It has been fuelled by the purchase of a new motorbike. Started thinking about what would happen if I got creamed. How shit my girlfriend would feel and the things I'd potentially miss out on. Went back and forth between this train of thought and the idea that everything is risky and you can't live life in a bubble.

I'm now somewhere between the two, think the motorbike will be going before it's turned a wheel in anger.

Very aware of my own mortality and also the insignificance of my existence in the grandest scheme of things.

Not nice.

9 minutes ago, gavin_3110 said:

It has been fuelled by the purchase of a new motorbike. Started thinking about what would happen if I got creamed. How shit my girlfriend would feel and the things I'd potentially miss out on. Went back and forth between this train of thought and the idea that everything is risky and you can't live life in a bubble.

I'm now somewhere between the two, think the motorbike will be going before it's turned a wheel in anger.

Very aware of my own mortality and also the insignificance of my existence in the grandest scheme of things.

Not nice.

I know a couple of paramedics and motorbikeists are commonly known in the trade as "organ donors".

Live fast, die in a puddle of your own juices.

I went to school with a keen motorcyclists who was splattered on a busy rural road in the middle of summer driving like an absolute maniac a few years ago - think it was a shovel job cleaning him up.

40 minutes ago, gavin_3110 said:

Not nice.

I had the same epiphany but with pushbikes. I'd go up the Pentlands on my mountain bike, come down at stupid speeds, leaping rocks and burns etc. On the road bike I'd be coming down hills at nearly 50mph and I just thought "this is stupid". The scars etc are a badge of honour when you crash when you're younger but suddenly the consequences of "what if" became serious. Got a single speed thing for pootling round town and took up boxing instead. 

36 minutes ago, gavin_3110 said:

Not nice.

Gav are you in your 30's? I think we all go through the epiphany stage. Don't worry you'll get over it in about 15 years you'll go through the mid-life crisis stage & buy the bike. By which stage your GF will either be your wife or ex. 

The closer to the Mort stage then closer you are to the end of the mortgage & the bucket list starts to kick in (excuse the pun). 

G-Bo(re)

Not nice.

Have a child. I feel I'm insignificant, and if I am forced to think about it logically know my daughter is too, but I don't feel she is. She feels more significant than anything else in the world and I want to live a life that has her in it and I want to live a life in which she has me in it.

It makes you think about happiness. What is happiness? I've had tough times and good times, but the hardest where the times where I feel my life isn't going anywhere and I just go to sleep, go to work, watch some tv, and repeat, for the rest of my life, before I die.

The good times are where I have pleasures that are deeper than just quick, physical ones, but meaningful ones. Nothing has done this more than having a child.

Or go to the pub.

17 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Finished work at two. Something quite nice about sitting in the Stockbridge sun with a pint at 3 on a Tuesday afternoon.

I'm in the Malt, on the Shore, it's too warm to sit out, I'm necking a gorgeous pint of Neet (light ale) in the shade. 

G-Bo(re)