Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

9 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Oxygen was never mentioned, sailed through it, must be better than I thought I was.

Quiz league says you need oxygen, or even better  a brain.

Sorry JD, niche joke

3 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Quiz league says you need oxygen, or even better  a brain.

Sorry JD, niche joke

Oxygen to my brain, perhaps...

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Oxygen to my brain, perhaps...

Physical exercise promotes blood circulation which in turn leads to greater oxygen-rich blood circulating in the brain. Doctors, however, suggest a daily routine of walking as a means of increasing the oxygen levels in the brain naturally.

You not got 'chap door run' in your village?

Get in the young ones!!!

On 17/01/2024 at 09:39, DA Baracus said:

I used to think I was fairly bright 

This is wilder than your post about steak.

But seriously, in terms of your mental health and how you view yourself, I think it would help you if you started looking at yourself holistically and had a look at some of Gabor Mate's (and Bessel Van Der Kolk) work around limbic responses to early childhood trauma. Not being able to concentrate can be down to the limbic system (known by the survival responses of fight, flight and freeze) telling our brain that, rather than focussing on inconsequential rubbish like books and uni, we need to constantly be scanning for threat. Dissociation is another word for it. It's also mentally fucking exhausting.

As I've said before, you've shared some things on here that lead me to believe that your brain will have learned to wire itself this way. 

On 17/01/2024 at 09:39, DA Baracus said:

A couple of years ago I tried to do an online course through the Open University and just struggled to take things in. I found myself having to read things over and over again and it just wasn’t going in, and I was struggling with various maths components. Admittedly my mental health was in a real state, but I had to stop after the first semester as I just couldn’t do it. Was quite the blow and made me feel worse. I see plenty of folk with a degree and think to myself that surely I can do it, but I just can’t. I’m shit at studying and shit at taking a lot of details in.

It was only when I did a fairly involved Learning Styles module as part of a training course, at my old work, that it fell into place why I made such a poor attempt at my engineering degree (I lasted 16 weeks).

Auditory learning, I scored really really poorly (worse than Sons front line), and the bulk of my course, at least the term I did, was sitting in lectures listening to someone, well, lecturing.

Visual - not a whole lot better. Like you, I have to read, reread, and reread again multiple times, and even then in 10 minutes time, it's as if I've never read the stuff at all. So, the course support books were little use to me either. 

Kinesthetic learning - I was off the scale to the opposite degree. If I'd only known this years before, I'd've done something much more differently eg go down an apprenticeship route or summat.

16 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

It was only when I did a fairly involved Learning Styles module as part of a training course, at my old work, that it fell into place why I made such a poor attempt at my engineering degree (I lasted 16 weeks).

Auditory learning, I scored really really poorly (worse than Sons front line), and the bulk of my course, at least the term I did, was sitting in lectures listening to someone, well, lecturing.

Visual - not a whole lot better. Like you, I have to read, reread, and reread again multiple times, and even then in 10 minutes time, it's as if I've never read the stuff at all. So, the course support books were little use to me either. 

Kinesthetic learning - I was off the scale to the opposite degree. If I'd only known this years before, I'd've done something much more differently eg go down an apprenticeship route or summat.

The 'learning styles' concept isn't supported by rigorous evidence and has been getting slowly but surely punted in the bin. Not saying that there aren't preferred modes of learning information, but it doesn't seem to follow the 'I'm actually an X/Y/Z type of learner' idea that was getting peddled until recently. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Not even in the top hundred best pictures of Mrs Pinault  :wub:

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

That learning styles thing sounds more interesting than the engineering degree probably was  :P

I take it this is something that lazy arseholes such as myself could Google to find, as I'm curious.

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

That learning styles thing sounds more interesting than the engineering degree probably was  :P

I take it this is something that lazy arseholes such as myself could Google to find, as I'm curious.

From memory, it formed a day of work out of a larger self-development(improvement) course my work put me and my peers thru.  After all the work we did, my results were plotted on a scale, my Auditory and Visual learning were in single figures, Kinesthetic (ie practical) was within single figures of the top mark possible.

I had to Google to make sure I had the terms right in my post, and saw stuff that @virginton refers to, that less importance should be attached to learning styles (maybe it was a typical 'trendy' thing) but the premise for me was spot on - talk at me or give me manuals/processes to read, I learn virtually nothing.  Give me something practical to do alongside other instructions, I pick up stuff really quickly.

We did a learning styles thing at work that gave folk characteristics based on animals - Monkeys were hands on, Elephants analytical etc (I think)

During roll out I said I used a variety of all methods and was told I was a Zoo Keeper :wacko:

We had to show we'd accounted for the different styles when putting together training packages.

Edited to add: I vaguely remember a meeting where folk wore animal badges.

Edited by Ned Nederlander

On 17/01/2024 at 14:31, johnnydun said:

That's great. Want to try plumbing, worked on industrial valves, pumps and instrumentation for my whole working life and reckon I could transfer that to the domestic plumbing, but always thought it was too late.

Give Pitkerro a CV stating this. They're usually pretty decent at taking boys with your background on. Be prepared though, they're some boys on the tools and office. :lol: