Procycling thread

myshkin

Thinking of watching at the steep bit at the bottom of the Crow.  Then I can get back in time for Alloa v Stirling and watch the rest of the race in the evening with a couple of beers.

Assume there will be no spoilers at the football. 🤫

12 hours ago, Gnash said:

Thinking of watching at the steep bit at the bottom of the Crow.  Then I can get back in time for Alloa v Stirling and watch the rest of the race in the evening with a couple of beers.

Assume there will be no spoilers at the football. 🤫

The road race is on Sunday 6th, m8. 🙂

1 minute ago, Stylish Kid said:

*Men's Road Race 

That was implied in what Gnash said. Both he and I knew it was the men's road race we were talking about. No need to specify in my post.

Especially as the women's one will likely be sh*te. 😉

56 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Aye, somehow got my dates mixed up.  

I will miss that game as I've got a volunteer shift in Glasgow (road races) on 12th. I was hoping to get the Sundays for the two big races, but I've got both Sats. 

Have seen a few folk out on reccy rides in the West End over the last few days. Today there was some guy struggling going up Cleveden Road from the canal, obviously on his way to work, who was overtaken with no real effort by what looked like a couple of New Zealanders

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Have seen a few folk out on reccy rides in the West End over the last few days. Today there was some guy struggling going up Cleveden Road from the canal, obviously on his way to work, who was overtaken with no real effort by what looked like a couple of New Zealanders

Always amazed me when during the TdF coverage Kenaught and Millar would batter up climbs with minimal effort on little Bromptons while Sunday rider types with all the proper gear toiled away on the same slopes.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I was in the marriot at charing x at the weekend and the car park had an Israel premier tech team bus in it and I saw riders from Denmark, France and the USA squads. 

11 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Always amazed me when during the TdF coverage Kenaught and Millar would batter up climbs with minimal effort on little Bromptons while Sunday rider types with all the proper gear toiled away on the same slopes.

At the Commonwealth games road race in Glasgow Chris Boardman rattled round the course on one of those city bikes. Flew up the two climbs no problem.

On 01/08/2023 at 15:19, well fan for life said:

If it's anything like the Commonwealth road race it'll be attritional and will be won by whoever is the hardest b*****d on the road that day.

Or who can avoid the most potholes that have littered our roads! I don’t suppose any knows if the government have taken it upon themselves to resurfaced some of/most of the route like they do for the tour in France or if they are just leaving it to chance?

Would be daft not to given this is a worldwide event.

Edited by buddie06smfc

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

Or who can avoid the most potholes that have littered our roads! I don’t suppose any knows if the government have taken it upon themselves to resurfaced some of/most of the route like they do for the tour in France or if they are just leaving it to chance?

To be fair they've resurfaced a lot of the route. Byres Road looked like the Somme a while ago but they fixed that recently. Same with the roads round the City Chambers.

Not that I'm in support of Glasgow City Council. Nipped in to the launch thing last night. When they brought out the leader of GCC I felt like booing.  

8 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

They have done a fair bit of resurfacing, but the bit along Maryhill Road, down Cowal Road, and up Cleveden Road is still very questionable at points

Per Strava, Remco did the TT route yesterday and Carron Valley/Crow Road (as part of a 90mile loop starting and finishing in Dunblane - must be staying there as that's where he left for his TT recon).

He picked up a couple of KOMs, but only managed 3rd on the Crow Road climb.

Edited by printer

On 01/08/2023 at 22:32, Stylish Kid said:

I am so excited for the UCI Worlds coming to Scotland. My only fear is that it's not been enormously promoted outwith Glasgow?

It kind of feels like that. I'd argue it's probably both the highest profile and highest quality sports event to ever occur in Scotland, apart from maybe the Champions League final. 

Yet it wasn't even mentioned on the late Reporting last night. It's quite weird. 

9 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

It kind of feels like that. I'd argue it's probably both the highest profile and highest quality sports event to ever occur in Scotland, apart from maybe the Champions League final. 

Yet it wasn't even mentioned on the late Reporting last night. It's quite weird. 

Yeah I'm not based in Scotland currently, so only going off of canvassing friends and family (to the point I think many understandably may block me), and that's what it's felt like. Felt similar when the Tour of Britian came to Aberdeen, people were simply unaware and more bothered about road closures. 

Anyway, amazing start and what a finish to the Men's Scratch Race, I thought the Swiss lad had it in the bag!

4 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

Yeah I'm not based in Scotland currently, so only going off of canvassing friends and family (to the point I think many understandably may block me), and that's what it's felt like. Felt similar when the Tour of Britian came to Aberdeen, people were simply unaware and more bothered about road closures. 

Anyway, amazing start and what a finish to the Men's Scratch Race, I thought the Swiss lad had it in the bag!

Putting aside politics over GB/Scotland, having a successful home nation makes such a difference to the atmosphere. The velodrome was fairly quiet last night but what a difference when the British riders were on track, particularly Neah Evans and the girls in the team sprint. 

2 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Putting aside politics over GB/Scotland, having a successful home nation makes such a difference to the atmosphere. The velodrome was fairly quiet last night but what a difference when the British riders were on track, particularly Neah Evans and the girls in the team sprint. 

I went to see 6 Day Cycling (RIP!) and the excitement when Cavendish was on track was something else!

I was a bit disappointed that the camera cut away once Tidball picked up the Cornish flag. I imagine UCI rules about "protest and politics"  were being harshly applied