Gigs

pilsner_ffc

15 hours ago, betting competition said:

Managed to see FO Machete, Automotion, The Plastic Youth, Deadletter, Soapbox, Trout, Fat Dog, and Anthony Szmierek. Unfortunately, a few acts cancelled, which I only found out upon arrival (better communication through updates on the scanned QR code would have helped). Two standout moments for me were Fat Dog's energetic performance and Anthony Szmierek's including fantastic cover of Happy Mondays and Sugababes songs. Dannsa was quiet when I attended, with hardly anyone there. 

Forgot, saw these two as well at Broadcast and Park Safely at the Attic. Would have liked to have seen Fat Dog but was running out of steam by then. Yes Dannsa remained quiet for final two acts which is a shame cos it's a cracking venue. Thought the advertising of the whole event was pretty low key.

2 hours ago, mathematics said:

Tenacious D tonight at the Hydro.

Hide contents

I fucking hate the general public.

Pro-tip; if you get VIP Early Entry the general public are behind you and less of an annoyance!

Spoiler

and if you're there before 4.45 Jack Black may shake your hand!

Rest of May will be class. Camera Obscura at the Barras tonight, Mock Media at the Hug & Pint tomorrow, Willy Vlautin at the CCA on Wednesday, then Blancmange, Frankie & The Witch Fingers, Gary Numan, Ducks Ltd, Cut Worms, King Gizzard and Joy Division tribute band Shadowplay before the end of the month. Hopefully with a Thistle playoff promotion run in amongst it as well. 

1 hour ago, GrahamJags said:

Joy Division tribute band Shadowplay 

I first read that as Showaddywaddy, which I think would be an interesting concept. You should have a word with them.

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I first read that as Showaddywaddy, which I think would be an interesting concept. You should have a word with them.

Agreed. Will report back.

3 shows this week which is a lot for me.

Swans-amazing and very loud although obviously much tamer than 40 years ago. Played for 2 1/2 hours.

Teenage faclub-I hadn't seen any pics of them for a while, they no longer have long hair but a great show.

Belle and Sebastian-Really ejoyable with a great mix of old and new. Stuart Murdoch in great form, interacts so well with the audience.

Monday is SLF which I am really looking forward to.

Sick of It All at Slay tonight. One of the leaders in hardcore punk, the band celebrated 30 years of the Scratch the Surface album in style. As fast and hard as they've ever been. Brilliant show.

Loads of support bands tonight, English hardcore band Chain of Survival, who were great and two Scottish metallic hardcore bands in Below the Neck and Trauma Bonds, who were both very good at what they do.

My only small gripe was it was ages between each band, and if they had tightened that up, the whole thing could have been over half an hour earlier. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I've got to be up for work in the morning!

20240512_223238.jpg

Turnover between bands at slay was reasonable the only time I've went. Its not liken its a massive venue where bands are going to be putting up large scale productions and not like that's the style of those bands either.

18 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Turnover between bands at slay was reasonable the only time I've went. Its not liken its a massive venue where bands are going to be putting up large scale productions and not like that's the style of those bands either.

No, there was no production, just the instruments and the bands. I get building a bit of anticipation for the headliners, I always expect to wait before they come on, but I just felt there was no need for half an hour between support bands. That said, I still very much enjoyed my night, ears haven't stopped ringing all day!

12 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I just felt there was no need for half an hour between support bands. 

Yeah, 15-20 mins max between supports for these sort of gigs.  Sounds like everyone was just having a nice blether back stage.

7 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Jimmy Eat World at the Academy in November, on sale tomorrow. It's been too long.

Picked tickets up in the presale. Agreed, it's been far too long, really looking forward to it. Good support in PUP as well.