Gigs

pilsner_ffc

The Gaslight Anthem tonight at the O2 in Glasgow for me.

Having to drive through to Glasgow for the gig, rather than go to the Edinburgh one tomorrow night, as my 10-year old son is desperate to see them and you can take over 8's on the balcony at the O2 in Glasgow, but can't take kids to Edinburgh. 

The Gaslight Anthem at the O2 Academy in Glasgow tonight. Really good career spanning set. The new songs already sounding great live and the old favourites as good as ever.

Support from Emily Wolfe who was technically very gifted but failed to really capture my interest.

20240318_212021.jpg

On 17/03/2024 at 12:27, southernrover said:

Enroute to Glasgow for Stiff Little Fingers at Barrowlands tonight. My first time at the venue but certainly not my first Fingers gig! 

Can't wait. Methinks a little bit of a Subcrawl may be due beforehand too 😄

SLF never need a review but what a venue Barrowlands is. Wonderful place. There and Rock City in Nottingham need protecting at all cost!

Birmi tonight for Priest/Saxon/Heep. Just the 1840 start time for this one. Good job I took the day off! 🙃

On 19/03/2024 at 14:53, southernrover said:

SLF never need a review but what a venue Barrowlands is. Wonderful place. There and Rock City in Nottingham need protecting at all cost!

Birmi tonight for Priest/Saxon/Heep. Just the 1840 start time for this one. Good job I took the day off! 🙃

The finest venue of them all. Elevates everyone who plays there.

Just came across the band Swim School from Edinburgh. Hadn’t heard them until I happened to be on Amazon Music, listening to some Wolf Alice, and their name came up. Bloody hell, they’re excellent. Immediately bought a ticket for their Glasgow St Luke’s show on May 1. Inc’ all the extra fees, total was £15.12. This band are going places, they’ve got something going alright. Best new band I’ve heard since, well, since Wolf Alice.

Only been to Barrowlands once but it was an incredibly uncomfortable experience,  OK it was a really hot day but I came out of there drenched in sweat from a standing at the back job, far more than I ever have been running around the pit.  Also it the bars seemed a bit limited, bigger queues than most venues and nothing obvious that could be accessed whilst still able to see the stage.  The band did a great job but I really don't see the value placed on it.  Is it the crystal ball?  a very pointless feature. 

Edited by parsforlife

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Only been to Barrowlands once but it was an incredibly uncomfortable experience,  OK it was a really hot day but I came out of there drenched in sweat from a standing at the back job, far more than I ever have been running around the pit.  Also it the bars seemed a bit limited, bigger queues than most venues and nothing obvious that could be accessed whilst still able to see the stage.  The band did a great job but I really don't see the value placed on it.  Is it the crystal ball?  a very pointless feature. 

I think Glasgow is blessed with some excellent concert venues, including the Barras’. The Hydro is superb for the bigger shows, and even for those that don’t fully sell out, they have a clever ‘black tarpaulin’ scheme for the unsold seats (usually the top deck up in the Gods). I’ve been to the Barras’ shitloads of times, maybe just me, but I get a drink or two when the support is on, or before the headliner anyway, but during the headline band, I’ve found my spot somewhere and don’t bother with the bar, I’m there to see the band. I’m not having a go at you, or anyone else by the way.

The Barras’ has been the scene of the two gigs I’ve been to where I was literally soaked through from head to toe, and the only drink I wanted was water, both a long time ago now -  R.E.M. on their ‘Green’ tour, and Midnight Oil, where I was right on the front barrier right at the stage. That was some show.

There’s also the Royal Concert Hall and Armadillo for medium sized, mostly ‘sitty-doon’ types of artists, the 02 Academy is another great venue like the Barras, and there’s great ‘wee’ venues like St Luke’s, Oran Mor, King Tuts. Shame the ABC venues on Sauchiehall Street went up in flames, and of course, the Apollo many moons ago.

Big gigs in that shithole that was the SECC? Thank fcuk they built the Hydro. The only thing that tin shed had going for it was that it was maginally less shite for gigs than the old Ingliston Showgrounds aircraft hangar. Now that really was dreadful. Anyway, opinions and all that.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I think Glasgow is blessed with some excellent concert venues, including the Barras’. The Hydro is superb for the bigger shows, and even for those that don’t fully sell out, they have a clever ‘black tarpaulin’ scheme for the unsold seats (usually the top deck up in the Gods). I’ve been to the Barras’ shitloads of times, maybe just me, but I get a drink or two when the support is on, or before the headliner anyway, but during the headline band, I’ve found my spot somewhere and don’t bother with the bar, I’m there to see the band. I’m not having a go at you, or anyone else by the way.

The Barras’ has been the scene of the two gigs I’ve been to where I was literally soaked through from head to toe, and the only drink I wanted was water, both a long time ago now -  R.E.M. on their ‘Green’ tour, and Midnight Oil, where I was right on the front barrier right at the stage. That was some show.

There’s also the Royal Concert Hall and Armadillo for medium sized, mostly ‘sitty-doon’ types of artists, the 02 Academy is another great venue like the Barras, and there’s great ‘wee’ venues like St Luke’s, Oran Mor, King Tuts. Shame the ABC venues on Sauchiehall Street went up in flames, and of course, the Apollo many moons ago.

Big gigs in that shithole that was the SECC? Thank fcuk they built the Hydro. The only thing that tin shed had going for it was that it was maginally less shite for gigs than the old Ingliston Showgrounds aircraft hangar. Now that really was dreadful. Anyway, opinions and all that.

I'd agree with that entire post - although I'm too young to remember the Apollo.

Would add that I really like SWG3 as well. Seen some great shows in the Galvanizers and TV Studio in there. Really like Broadcast and Audio as well for smaller gigs, and the entire Garage building is brilliant.

Edited by Craig fae the Vale

Barrowlands
ABC
Academy
Oran Mor Church
King Tut's
Oran Mor
Sleazy's
Hydro
Stereo
Garage
SWG3 Galvanisers
13th Note
Saint Luke's
SECC
Garage 2
Pivo Pivo
Old Hairdresser's
SWG3 Poetry Club
SWG3 TV Studio

All venues ranked primarily by sound quality and stage position. Minimal regard given to facilities (bar, toilets) or access. The ABC remains the best sound quality in the city and is sadly missed. The Barras is great. You look around and you can see bits of the building that clearly haven't been cleaned in years. I hope it stays the way it is forever.

I might be just getting really old but I’d fully support venues shutting bars while the band are on. We went to the Usher Hall a few years ago for James and they did it and I thought it worked well. We were to the side last night for the Bunnymen and spent most of the night moving to let folk past for bar access. As I say though I’m no spring chicken and that idea will not please all.

4 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Would add that I really like SWG3 as well. Seen some great shows in the Galvanizers and TV Studio in there. 

The loudest gig I've ever seen by a country mile was Melvins in the SWG3 TV studio. It just lent itself to mental volume levels.

Edited by cb_diamond

16 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Just in from the Bunnymen at the Barras, not the best I’ve seen them, too many pished folk and the 20 mins break mid set was a load of bollocks, maybe I’m just getting old.

I thought they were excellent. McCulloch was in fine form. A far better gig than I was expecting. I suppose the break was to nurse his voice? Just pleased to witness live some of the best songs ever recorded.

The loudest gig I’ve ever been at, bar none, was Jimmy Barnes in King Tuts. In Australia then, he was playing arenas and stadium gigs. I think he squeezed the PA from an arena into King Tuts.