Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Who is it? Her album didn’t take for me, but I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews for her live set.

Support was Hatchie.

Anna Burch was great. Short set - 40 minutes tops - but that was pretty much the whole album. And for £7 you can't moan.

There are a few women around right now who are making pretty decent smart, sharp guitar music. I'd also like to hear more from Soccer Mommy, although it's a terrible name.

11 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Support was Hatchie.

Anna Burch was great. Short set - 40 minutes tops - but that was pretty much the whole album. And for £7 you can't moan.

There are a few women around right now who are making pretty decent smart, sharp guitar music. I'd also like to hear more from Soccer Mommy, although it's a terrible name.

Big fan of the 40 minute set, although that does equate to two Neil Young songs.

I preface almost every post with this, and I realise it makes me sound like a jerk, but "at SxSW" I saw Soccer Mommy play with Mal Blum and the Blums.  I can't remember a single song.  In year jam packed with women-fronted bands making pretty decent smart, sharp guitar music, Soccer Mommy didn't really stand out.  YMMV, but if you've seen Lucy Dacus, you can pass on Soccer Mommy, so to speak.

On 5/8/2018 at 19:51, Mr. Brightside said:

Anyone going to We Are Scientists on Thursday?

I am as well. Though did anyone have difficulty getting their tickets delivered for this? 

6 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Anyone get tickets for Biffy at the Usher Hall? Was in a holding queue at 8:40, managed to get through to the ticket page at 9:02 to find all tickets gone.

I had 8 tabs open in my laptop and refreshed them all bang on 9am to be informed they’d sold out

By 9.05am Viagogo were selling tickets at £590 a time

c***s 

On 5/8/2018 at 23:54, BallochSonsFan said:

Support was Hatchie.

Anna Burch and Hatchie were both very good. Two very much upcoming artists who won't be playing in pubs in front of a hundred people much longer.

And if you're a fan of the female singer / songwriter type then be sure to catch Stella Donnelly, also at the Hug and Pint, later in the year.

(Or come to End of the Road Festival, where Burch, Donnelly, Soccer Mommy and Lucy Dacus are all playing.)

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

Anna Burch and Hatchie were both very good. Two very much upcoming artists who won't be playing in pubs in front of a hundred people much longer.

And if you're a fan of the female singer / songwriter type then be sure to catch Stella Donnelly, also at the Hug and Pint, later in the year.

(Or come to End of the Road Festival, where Burch, Donnelly, Soccer Mommy and Lucy Dacus are all playing.)

This.   Stella Donnelly is incredible.  Lyrically and personality-wise, she absolutely owns the stage.   Highly, highly recommended.  Cute as a button, too.

Edit: Dammit, she's on the same night as Lee Bains.

Edited by Savage Henry

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

This.   Stella Donnelly is incredible.  Lyrically and personality-wise, she absolutely owns the stage.   Highly, highly recommended.  Cute as a button, too.

Edit: Dammit, she's on the same night as Lee Bains.

She's playing on a different night in Glasgow (or is that not where you're looking at?)

Can only echo what's been said about Stella Donnelly though. The record/EP is fantastic.

She's playing on a different night in Glasgow (or is that not where you're looking at?)
Can only echo what's been said about Stella Donnelly though. The record/EP is fantastic.

Bains is playing Bristol the night she plays Glasgow. I can make either.

I'd love to do End of the Road but this is maybe just a year too early.

I'm 40 next September. I'm toying with the idea of going down to the 2019 festival as the last gig I do before hitting 40. Would be a great way to spend my birthday and give me a bit of time to save and do it right.

5 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'd love to do End of the Road but this is maybe just a year too early.

This year will be my sixth since I started going in 2013. I love it, and they've got a belter of a line-up this time.

Couple of great gigs over the past few days.

Carter Sampson at The Glad Cafe was really really good. I always expected her to be and the new material really hit the mark.

I was at I'm With Her at The Sage last night. Saw them during CC in January and whilst they were good that night, it really felt a little short. Support act was given about 45-50 minutes and that was basically almost as long as the headliners played. Last night was around 75-80 minutes and was far more satisfying. 

Brian Jonestown Massacre playing the Barras in October. Saw them in Amsterdam 5 or 6 years ago. Antoine spat the dummy and stormed off stage. Hoping for more madness.
I've got tickets for this too. I've seen then a few times over the years, last in 2014. To be honest, by that stage, it was boring and the same old tunes.

However, in the past year or so, I've been watching a lot of more recent gigs on YouTube and really enjoying them. The band has changed and there seems to be a whole lot less of Anton being a knob. I actually reckon Matt Hollywood was a big part of the problem, now he's gone, they seem to be banging out some brilliant stuff again.

Check out the A38 Rocks gig, which is great.