Gigs

pilsner_ffc

I was never in The Apollo, heard so many stories about the place, feel I really missed out.
The receptionist in my work told me she used to work in there as a youngster, told me she met basically everyone and anyone, was particularly impressed / jealous when she mentioned she'd met both David Bowie and The Who...!!
I've lost count of the number of bands I've seen there. The Status Quo guys always said they couldn't believe watching the upper balcony move by feet when they were in full flow and they thought it would collapse.@Pozbaird loaned me a book about the place years ago...cracking read.

18 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

I've lost count of the number of bands I've seen there. The Status Quo guys always said they couldn't believe watching the upper balcony move by feet when they were in full flow and they thought it would collapse.@Pozbaird loaned me a book about the place years ago...cracking read.

Saw Big Country from it, and stood under it a few times. Scares me to think it moved about so much, glad I only found out later!

32 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

In a big ring binder, I have kept every ticket stub from every gig I’ve ever been to, since my first ever gig… pictured. In a couple of years time, it will be the 50th anniversary of my first gig. Jesus feckin’ wept. Where did the time go!? The story of my life is pretty much represented in the pages of that ring binder.

7C8929DC-94BC-449C-AC91-AEB51E161DCB.jpeg

Was at Idles last night, best show I have seen in a long time. Obviously a punk influenced band but also the best mixed band I've seen live for a long long time. The barras suited them perfectly and as someone who's listened to the albums but could only pick out a half dozen or so songs I knew well they had me onside throughout. Could hear every element clear as day. Would've been great if we hadn't got back to Perth at half 1 to discover our lock had broken and had to stay at the Dobbies Travelodge overnight

I don't know if this allowed, especially given my band's on the bill, but if anyone is free on Saturday 05th March, the line up to the Glasgow March Of The Mods at the Classic Grand is superb this year.

Full day event from 2.30pm, tickets £15, with every penny raised going to the Teenage Cancer Trust charity.

What's not to like?!

FB_IMG_1644101321432.jpg

Bratakus gig was great.

Count Florida were up first. Sorta... heavy twee/jangle punk vibes. I wasn't a big fan. Reminded me of too many bands that would appear after First Timers Fest in London and hang around doing opening slots for a year before breaking up. Not bad but not great.

Goblin Knife were second. Can't find any of their stuff online. Good hardcore band. Reminded me a bit of The Locust without the synth. Very weegie.

Goth GF were amazing. Good rock and roll band. Put me in mind of Dead Milkmen a bit as you couldn't really pin them down but that might just be because one of their songs was a detour into cowpunk that stood out a bit form the rest of the set.

Bratakus were fucking awesome. Possibly preferred Goth GF on the night but that might just be because I didn't know what to expect of them and was pleasantly surprised but Bratakus were much better live than on record. Surprised me with that as most bands I hear with drum tracks rather than live drummers are usually a bit disappointing live. 

My aching 60 year old limbs still recovering from Wolf Alice at Barrowlands last night. Absolutely magnificent. Been into them since the beginning, stumbled across their first EP and first saw them at King Tuts. Next stop has to be the Hydro and the 02 Arenas of the world. Wolf Alice just get better and better. Fantastic live band.

King King were quality, and support The damned Truth were more than acceptable - big Janis vibes from the vocalist.

Was actually gutted to not be there, glad to hear it went well and hopefully I can make next time. Few Blues magazines raving about The Damned Truth, they’re ok from the little I’ve heard