Given that Elon Musk is big into pushing 'culture wars' nonsense and trans people are the major culture wars topic for the right at the moment it's not exactly surprising that anti-trans content is being pushed onto people's timelines.

Judging by the references to 'weirdo trans nutjobs' on this thread it's doing its job too.

4 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

This is the guy - https://www.billboardchris.com

He’s dedicated the past several years of his life to harassing transgender people, and frankly I’m surprised this is the first time someone’s had a physical pop at him. 

Fair enough he deserves it then, but that aggressive eejit shouting "f**k you" in his face deserves more than a slap too.

4 hours ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

Judging by the references to 'weirdo trans nutjobs' on this thread it's doing its job too.

I think that was referring to those on both sides of the twitter generated hysteria who have totally lost their reason, not just on the trans side.

On 30/03/2023 at 09:13, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

‘Magnatom’ on YouTube is similar.  Granted, vehicle drivers do all sorts of crazy stuff, but he often winds them up in the first place by staying that wee bit further out from the pavement than he needs to or waving his hand telling them to stay back etc.

The resulting arguments are funny to watch though!  Especially since it’s Glasgow.

I am not standing up for this dude but he doesn't need to be near the pavement at all. 

34 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I am not standing up for this dude but he doesn't need to be near the pavement at all. 

I think that's part of the problem.  Many drivers don't know that and often think they have the right to skim past a cyclist without going fully into the other lane.

Not sure how to get the message out.  Many drivers, especially in the central belt, are heavy aggressive and wouldn't adhere to it anyway.

8 hours ago, throbber said:

I’m not sure - the subject comes up a lot  these days like with Kate Forbes and Nicola sturgeon recently so it’s probably not just down to algorithms. JK Rowling has added plenty fuel to the fire of late also.

Throbs, you disappeared off down the David Icke conspiracy theory rabbit hole a while back - you can't seriously be wondering why you're getting showered with sensationalist nonsense now!

You get offered it because you click on it (and share it on P&B). For comparison, here's the kind of stuff YouTube has (correctly) decided I'll be interested in:

Reckon 'the algorithm' is at least 80% bollocks that they push on folk regardless of what you read/click on/interact with. The rest is stuff related to what you read/click on/interact with to make you think it works as it should.

14 hours ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

Given that Elon Musk is big into pushing 'culture wars' nonsense and trans people are the major culture wars topic for the right at the moment it's not exactly surprising that anti-trans content is being pushed onto people's timelines.

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think that was referring to those on both sides of the twitter generated hysteria who have totally lost their reason, not just on the trans side.

To be fair in this context welshbairn has summed it up. In the wider context I'd call anyone a nutjob if they ended up screaming in someone's face before getting violent cos there's pretty much no reason at all for that type of behaviour. Unfortunately social media and forum platforms add fuel to this type of behaviour. reasoned discussions and debate are pushed to the side in favour of divisive black and white arguing spilling over to violence.

Edited by greendot

7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Reckon 'the algorithm' is at least 80% bollocks that they push on folk regardless of what you read/click on/interact with. The rest is stuff related to what you read/click on/interact with to make you think it works as it should.

Trans people make up about 0.3% of the population and I doubt anyone outside of that community actively went looking for stuff to be annoyed about with that community before it became a "mainstream" discussion point. Of course these things are pushed on you to shape the narrative. Take YouTube as an example - start a brand new account with them, watch completely mundane videos and see how long it takes them to suggest Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson or some other grifting nugget on the right. It happens almost instantly. 

9 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Quality hard hitting journalism. 
Do they ask Sunak this nonsense?

Yes. He says a woman is a biological female human. So they won't ask him again.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Trans people make up about 0.3% of the population and I doubt anyone outside of that community actively went looking for stuff to be annoyed about with that community before it became a "mainstream" discussion point. Of course these things are pushed on you to shape the narrative. Take YouTube as an example - start a brand new account with them, watch completely mundane videos and see how long it takes them to suggest Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson or some other grifting nugget on the right. It happens almost instantly. 

I seem to have managed to avoid it.

It's all cats and tits for me.

Edit: oh, and Death Metal, true crime, history, and those mindless videos where people read out amusing posts from Reddit. All good for putting on in the background while doing other things.

Edited by BTFD

The only things I've watched on YouTube (not signed in) on this phone are Mark Kermode reviews, Mogwai songs and the odd video posted on here and I'm still getting recommended fucking Phoebe Bridgers I don't think it's possible to avoid the worst the internet has to offer. Just stay strong.

8 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The only things I've watched on YouTube (not signed in) on this phone are Mark Kermode reviews, Mogwai songs and the odd video posted on here and I'm still getting recommended fucking Phoebe Bridgers I don't think it's possible to avoid the worst the internet has to offer. Just stay strong.

YouTube recommends fucking people now? I don't know what a Phoebe Bridgers is, but it sounds like decent advice TBF. Thought it might be the Gremlins lassie for a sec, which would've tied in with the Mogwai.

I'd happily swap being recommended right-wing grifters for the occasional three/four minute (dire and obscure) pop videos that YouTube regularly vomits at me in the middle of a Morbid Angel album. Thankfully they seem to have stopped throwing adverts for new-age extra-terrestrial conspiracy theorists Gaia at me (check 'em out, @throbber).

My favourite YouTube adverts are those “become a millionaire by using my proven methods, that you can learn for merely £10k”.

Ive signed up to dozens, just a matter of time before I’m rich!

Edited by ICTChris