Unpopular opinions.

10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I've been punched by four or five women. I think they're just harder than me. I've sparred with girls at boxing too. That's a strange dynamic as they're trying to punch your lights out and you don't want to patronise them by not hitting them but you can't go giving them a black eye. 

That doesn't surprise me.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Spot on, it has become a cultural thing in some families.  It's a huge societal problem and one that will need massive resources to put right, but it will be in all our interest if we can address it and break the circle of dependency.

However the right wing 'let's just cut/stop their benefits' approach is not a solution and is insulting in its simplicity.

Well this is refreshing. Every single time I've seen this point raised in numerous online forums, it's instantly been shouted down by left wingers and derided as the drooling fantasies of the right wing media. These people I've been told either do not exist or at most amount to no more than 20 across the entire UK. It's one of those things that personal experience (my workshy Dundonian brothers in law) or the evidence of my own eyes with neighbours usually counts for nothing.

FWIW, I reckon work has to pay significantly more than benefits but it needs to be hammered home in school the other benefits of work - social, health (physical and mental) etc.  The current generation that are out of work and unlikely to work are probably a lost cause so lets get educating the next generation now.

4 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Well this is refreshing. Every single time I've seen this point raised in numerous online forums, it's instantly been shouted down by left wingers and derided as the drooling fantasies of the right wing media. These people I've been told either do not exist or at most amount to no more than 20 across the entire UK. It's one of those things that personal experience (my workshy Dundonian brothers in law) or the evidence of my own eyes with neighbours usually counts for nothing.

FWIW, I reckon work has to pay significantly more than benefits but it needs to be hammered home in school the other benefits of work - social, health (physical and mental) etc.  The current generation that are out of work and unlikely to work are probably a lost cause so lets get educating the next generation now.

If it's about breaking habits while these kids are still young....Bring back National Service from school leaver age.  Job, pay, responsibility, self respect, community and even a trade.

4 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

That may be a worthwhile idea if possible, but outlooks will be affected more by home lives than by the education system.  Someone brought up in an environment where few/none of the adults work will see that as a norm.  It is one of the reasons I find it hard to apportion blame; if I had been brought up in such a household how would I have turned out?

5 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

If it's about breaking habits while these kids are still young....Bring back National Service from school leaver age.  Job, pay, responsibility, self respect, community and even a trade.

Whatever the question, National Service is not the answer. Having not long left the Forces, you're not even supposed to swear at people and those are the ones who want to be there supposedly, trying to get people who have no wish to be there to do just about anything will be impossible. We don't even have enough people to do our 'real' (I know, I know) jobs let alone spend time turning the 'great unwashed' into model citizens.

Just now, chomp my root said:

Whatever the question, National Service is not the answer. Having not long left the Forces, you're not even supposed to swear at people and those are the ones who want to be there supposedly, trying to get people who have no wish to be there to do just about anything will be impossible. We don't even have enough people to do our 'real' (I know, I know) jobs let alone spend time turning the 'great unwashed' into model citizens.

Anyone who says 'bring back National Service' is a complete clown.  Unless they're joking or trying to be controversial, in which case they are an incomplete clown.

7 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

5 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Anyone who says 'bring back National Service' is a complete clown.  Unless they're joking or trying to be controversial, in which case they are an incomplete clown.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

National Service! :lol:

Only slobbering cretins think it should be brought back in the UK.

1 minute ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

National Service for people like LichtieforLife and WeeperDee would only encourage other countries to invade.

A big hard pass from me.

Brilliant - this is the unpopular opinions thread eh?   :thumsup2

3 hours ago, Tamdunk said:

Hammock incoming

3 hours ago, Rugster said:

Princess Consueala Banana Hammock

Have some self-respect and get that rampant manginaism under control, Ruggy :lol: