Unpopular opinions.

Just now, BawWatchin said:

Sources can tell you anything. All that's required is for enough time to pass for misinformation to spread far enough until it's accepted as an unquestionable fact.

Most people believing something to be true, isn't proof of it's truth. What's moronic is the failure to understand this and why it matters.

How exactly do you find things out for yourself? Like, if you want to establish the earth is a sphere would you launch your own space telescope? If so, would you have to learn how to achieve this without trusting so called ‘experts’who could assist? Genuinely curious.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Where do you stand on gravity, out of interest?

It's like everything else. We have an understanding of how it works. But is our understanding an indisputable fact of existence, or is it merely a limitation in the way in which our brain attempts to make sense of things?

Existence as we know it, isn't neccessairly existence as it actually is. We're limited by perception.

8 minutes ago, banana said:

The old "you must be trolling" line when someone has a different opinion outside of your brainwashing, mixed in with the "stop thinking for yourself!" gambit, two modern 'Progressive' classics.

Some day you're having.

I didn’t say he was trolling. I said I wondered if he was. I need a self appointed expert on trolling to weigh in and a radical free thinker could point out that existence may all just be an illusion and pie and bovril is really just a figment of what one would assume is a very dull imagination.

Edited by The OP

1 minute ago, The OP said:

How exactly do you find things out for yourself? Like, if you want to establish the earth is a sphere would you launch your own space telescope? If so, would you have to learn how to achieve this without trusting so called ‘experts’who could assist? Genuinely curious.

Well it could be argued that nothing can ever be trusted or proven to be undeniably true, not even to yourself. We're limited by our own perception of the world around us. We can only experience what our mind allows us to experience. Truth only goes as far as what your mind accepts as truth. The majority of the world believes there's an afterlife with some superior being who watches over us all. There was a time when questioning that was considered outrageous. Why would it be any different with anything we think we know or understand now?

1 minute ago, BawWatchin said:

Well it could be argued that nothing can ever be trusted or proven to be undeniably true, not even to yourself. We're limited by our own perception of the world around us. We can only experience what our mind allows us to experience. Truth only goes as far as what your mind accepts as truth. The majority of the world believes there's an afterlife with some superior being who watches over us all. There was a time when questioning that was considered outrageous. Why would it be any different with anything we think we know or understand now?

Tbh I can’t be arsed explaining the scientific method and academic consensus to someone who sounds like he has taken one philosophy class (or one bag of magic mushrooms) and has had his mind blown. 

23 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

I actually quite like David Icke quitegood.png

I don't necessarily agree with all of his views. But I do like his principle about questioning everything and not just accepting knowledge as correct, just because most people have been convinced into believing it to be true.

Why is he not sceptical about the theory of the Royal Family being lizards? That theory is surely less convincing than his proclamation that the world would end in 1997.

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Borders shouldn't exist and people should be free to go any country they want

I agree, certain middle eastern countries have no concept of a country. Just areas that traditionally belonged to them. Utterly shameful that Western nations chose to divide them up for profit. Borders are just a way of controlling people, power and resources.

Brexit and Indepence are backwards steps that create red tape and problems.

It's like everything else. We have an understanding of how it works. But is our understanding an indisputable fact of existence, or is it merely a limitation in the way in which our brain attempts to make sense of things?
Existence as we know it, isn't neccessairly existence as it actually is. We're limited by perception.
What you are saying is a fantastic way to sound intellectual and a bit smarmy but its still ultimately an effort to sound superior to the "well thick masses".

The smart man admits they know nothing. The idiot insists he knows something everyone else doesn't.

14 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Spectators at the World Cup - including the Lovely Ladies - in fancy dress and face paints, are not football fans. They're rich tourists.

A high proportion of the lovely ladies are professional models.

I agree, certain middle eastern countries have no concept of a country. Just areas that traditionally belonged to them.

Which countries are you thinking of? Surely for most of the last five hundred years they were areas that traditionally belonged to Istanbul.

11 hours ago, Crroma said:

What you are saying is a fantastic way to sound intellectual and a bit smarmy but its still ultimately an effort to sound superior to the "well thick masses".

The smart man admits they know nothing. The idiot insists he knows something everyone else doesn't.

Is your second paragraph sincere?

Because if so it kinda contradicts your first paragraph in at least two ways: (i) it basically repeats BawWatchin's statement, which you've criticised in the first para; and (ii) you say "the smart man admits they know nothing", yet seem to have taken a generalised and dismissive tone which suggests you in fact "know something" in the first para.

Just saying that if you sincerely believe the second paragraph (and it seems like a good stance to take), would it not be good to lighten up and open up a bit to liberal hippy dippy ideas like what BawWatchin expressed.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

I don't accept consensus from anybody, including self declared experts. Unless its been proven to me directly, I keep an open mind about it.

And this is why we have Trump. And anti-vaxers. And populism.

It’s complete nonsense. Experts should be better at facilitating knowledge, I grant you in some cases, but there’s scientific knowledge and expertise which is beyond reproach.