Unpopular opinions.

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

more often than not, I prefer remakes to the original movie. 

I'd be interested in hearing what remakes are better than the original. Only one I can think of is Scarface but I'm sure there will be more.

4 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I'd be interested in hearing what remakes are better than the original. Only one I can think of is Scarface but I'm sure there will be more.

The Beat That My Heart Skipped, Munich and The Departed are three that spring to mind. I can't think of any others off the top of my head right now.

18 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

14 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

The Beat That My Heart Skipped, Munich and The Departed are three that spring to mind. I can't think of any others off the top of my head right now.

in no particular order (and some controversial choices I concede):

Heat; The Departed; Let The Right One In; Assault on Precinct 13; True Grit; The Fly; The Thomas Crown Affair; The Force Awakens :); 12  Monkeys; Oceans 11; The Italian Job; Taking of Pelham 123.....there are more....

With say something like Assault on Precinct 13, I love John Carpenter but with a lot of films of that period, I find the pacing terrible. Whereas the remake may not be as fresh or as interesting, the more tighter pacing really makes it a better movie for me. If they had just used Carpenter's score in the remake it would have been a lot better. Of course to even class Carpenter's Assault as an original, I am glossing over the Rio Bravo/Rio Lobo/E Dorado debate. Is Assault a homage, has been influenced or is in fact remake of the Hawks westerns? 

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

in no particular order (and some controversial choices I concede):

Heat; The Departed; Let The Right One In; Assault on Precinct 13; True Grit; The Fly; The Thomas Crown Affair; The Force Awakens :); 12  Monkeys; Oceans 11; The Italian Job; Taking of Pelham 123.....there are more....

With say something like Assault on Precinct 13, I love John Carpenter but with a lot of films of that period, I find the pacing terrible. Whereas the remake may not be as fresh or as interesting, the more tighter pacing really makes it a better movie for me. If they had just used Carpenter's score in the remake it would have been a lot better. Of course to even class Carpenter's Assault as an original, I am glossing over the Rio Bravo/Rio Lobo/E Dorado debate. Is Assault a homage, has been influenced or is in fact remake of the Hawks westerns? 

I love the original precinct 13 so much that I've always avoided the remake. Ditto Pelham 123. I may just bite my lip and give them a go...

3 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

so you rate Infernal Affairs then? 

Infernal Affairs is great. Tonnes of excellent Hong Kong / Taiwan movies of the era.

Edited by banana