Unpopular opinions.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Shopping centres will be next to go.  Town (and even city) centres have become downgraded due to the move to out of town shopping but out of town shopping centres and retail parks are going to be hit by internet shopping.  You can see it at places like the Gyle in Edinburgh, which has quite a few empty slots and plenty of other places around the country.

Issue has to be what replaces these big spaces.  Most town centres and high streets are now awful places cluttered with rubbish, charity shops, terrible pubs, pawn shops and gaggles of zombie faced drongos.  What's going to happen to uneconomic out of town shopping centres?  

I discovered recently on a trip home that the shopping centre in East Kilbride, which was always a miserable place, is now a totally dead empty place.

At one end they've tried to create an area with restaurants etc near the cinema, but it's utterly dead. Actually quite weird walking around it so quiet. Not sure what replaces somewhere like that for a town like EK. It must be a big employer etc.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s the soulless fucking shopping centres or business parks that get me.

There's one of these "retail parks" round the back of my house and it depresses me every time I go to it.   

Especially Tesco and its staff. 

Especially the Dundee FC supporting staff. 

Shetland has no chains really. Theres supermarkets (a couple of co ops, a Tesco and maybe a Morrisons) but thats it. Seemingly the council knock back any requests for McDonalds, Starbucks et al.

I can confirm that Shetland would not be made more shite by the addition of a coffee shop or a McDonalds.

So I guess North Cyprus and Shetland differ in that way, aswell as a few others probably.

Just now, MixuFixit said:

They'll be bulldozed and the land returned to agricultural use because everybody is treating food security with its due importance.

*cracks up giggling*

Just kidding. Back in the hell timeline they'll pack them with soft plays an high rides and various other things that have been tried and failed in US malls, which are about 5 years ahead of the curve compared to us. There is a great youtube channel called Dead Malls that documents this.

Yeah I like those videos.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Shopping centres will be next to go.  Town (and even city) centres have become downgraded due to the move to out of town shopping but out of town shopping centres and retail parks are going to be hit by internet shopping.  You can see it at places like the Gyle in Edinburgh, which has quite a few empty slots and plenty of other places around the country.

Issue has to be what replaces these big spaces.  Most town centres and high streets are now awful places cluttered with rubbish, charity shops, terrible pubs, pawn shops and gaggles of zombie faced drongos.  What's going to happen to uneconomic out of town shopping centres?  

Thank god George A. Romero is dead and doesn't have to see his satirical vision of mass consumerism become irrelevant in the age of the internet.

11 hours ago, ICTChris said:

You could turn them into indoor football pitches I suppose... I've always thought the ASDA next to Hampden would make a good Toryglen mark 2. 

12 hours ago, ICTChris said:

They'll shut and then be sold for housing development.

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I think you will find that others have tried that pathetic ‘look at me’ approach and got nowhere.

:lol:

I'm getting subjected to their shite everyday by my boy who has recently discovered them and I was listening to a documentary on the 50th anniversary of their last gig yesterday so it was topical rather than 'look at me', old man.

If you need this thread explained to you then feel free to PM me. 

Transfer deadline day on the tele is overhyped pish. No real big deals happen to justify the round the clock coverage it gets. I know that sky sports news and their like have hours to fill, but there is a good few hours they could cut out of it. All the hype, guys stood at training grounds to report that nothings happening jim. They are looking for a repeat of the torres/saurez deal that came through unexpectedly.

21 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Transfer deadline day on the tele is overhyped pish. No real big deals happen to justify the round the clock coverage it gets. I know that sky sports news and their like have hours to fill, but there is a good few hours they could cut out of it. All the hype, guys stood at training grounds to report that nothings happening jim. They are looking for a repeat of the torres/saurez deal that came through unexpectedly.

Agree. It was good for a few years in the early days of the transfer window but they're flogging a dead horse now and Jim White's become an absolute parody with the mobile phone on the desk pretending he's getting texts from sources etc.

Not sure that’s unpopular?

It was a novelty the first few times when the windows were introduced but now it is utter pish.

Just another marketing excuse for sky sports to overhype something ridiculously. Staples like Jim whites fucking tie or Harry redknapp in his car are just to appeal to the modern idiot football fanboy.

Rant over. Sorry.

The transfer window the day after Manchester City were taken over and they spent the day trying to sign superstars before finally getting Robinho has set a high bar for ridiculousness and entertainment. It’s rubbish now, with second rate clubs chasing second rate players.

More generally, I think the drama has been taken out of transfers generally because teams out a lot more thought into their moves, there’s a lot more analysis and planning. Pretty rare that you get mad moves like when Man Utd signed Andy Cole and it was one of the main stories on the news.