Unpopular opinions.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

'Employment' by Kaiser Chiefs is actually a very enjoyable album. They're a classic case of second album syndrome: a group that had condensed years of hit and miss material Into one 'debut' album and then tried to churn out another one in 18 months. The results were >50% and >75% utter shite in albums two and three respectively 

The Kaiser Chiefs are a fantastic band, who don't have a bad album. They are also tremendous live (seen them 5 times, first in 2007, the latest in January this year).

1 minute ago, virginton said:

'Employment' by Kaiser Chiefs is actually a very enjoyable album. They're a classic case of second album syndrome: a group that had condensed years of hit and miss material Into one 'debut' album and then tried to churn out another one in 18 months. The results were >50% and >75% utter shite in albums two and three respectively 

I would never have had you down as a Kaiser Chiefs fan. I never rated them at all.

I saw the Kaiser Chiefs when they were called Parva  and they played the old West Port Bar in Dundee supporting Miss Black America (Q magazine had described them as the next Manic Street Preachers).  Various elements of that sentence are deeply embarrassing but KC were fucking brilliant and MBA were dogshit 

Is this not the case with many bands, though?

Stereophonics and Travis are two prime examples. Their first albums were excellent, then got progressively worse the more famous they got

23 minutes ago, throbber said:

DA has completely hung me out to dry here.

I am sorry my friend!

Parachutes is packed with exceptional tunes, but the rest of their albums can muster an EP of decent tracks combined at best.

Kaiser Chiefs - pretty much as vT described, although The Angry Mob as a song was before its time

Hard-Fi - as vT described although much sadder and more tragic through albums two and three

Stereophonics - solid from their 1995 debut until 2010, where the music seemed to turn into a parody of all the criticism they'd ever faced

Travis - before my time but I saw some of their 2000 Glastonbury performance recently and I'm very glad they're before my time

5 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

Is this not the case with many bands, though?

Stereophonics and Travis are two prime examples. Their first albums were excellent, then got progressively worse the more famous they got

Yeah that was my point. It's more obvious in their case I think because - as above - they were actually floating around as Parva for years before having any success. 

16 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The Kaiser Chiefs are a fantastic band, who don't have a bad album. They are also tremendous live (seen them 5 times, first in 2007, the latest in January this year).

Mmm no their third album definitely joins there The Enemy's hilariously bad second album and Muse's tragic abortion of a last album as the three worst collections of music I've ever bought.

Edited by vikingTON

9 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I'm sure they will be gutted that a lonsdale wearing tramp didn't rate them...

Well don’t hold back or anything.

i would have thought people on here would dislike the Kaiser Chiefs and find them pretty naff tbqh. The forum is full of surprises as ever.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Mmm no their third album definitely joins there with The Enemy's hilariously bad second album and Muse's tragic abortion of a last album as the three worst collections of music I've ever bought.

I can't agree with you there, I really like off with their heads. It was a different sound to the first 2 albums, but imo it showed that they weren't a one trick pony. 

Of all of them, the fourth album is the weakest, followed by the fifth. I've enjoyed the most recent two though.

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Mmm no their third album definitely joins there The Enemy's hilariously bad second album and Muse's tragic abortion of a last album as the three worst collections of music I've ever bought.

The Enemy's second album wins out for the level of sheer hubris from everyone involved. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Mmm no their third album definitely joins there with The Enemy's hilariously bad second album and Muse's tragic abortion of a last album as the three worst collections of music I've ever bought.

The Enemy's third album was the best one: http://drownedinsound.com/releases/17021/reviews/4145008

So blank, so generic, it's borderline abstract. A dreamy alienation afflicts you on first listen. It is end times for this type of music. 'Ladrock'. Exhausted in its first seconds of recycled existence and exhausted ten generations on.

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

The Enemy's third album was the best one: http://drownedinsound.com/releases/17021/reviews/4145008

Have to credit them for carrying on after Faris Badwan said "you have to hand it to these boys. They're hungry, they're young and they laugh in the face of natural selection" during the NME awards one year.

As if that weren't all bad enough, The Enemy also bizarrely adopted Airdrie United as their shan adopted football club affiliation north of the border as well.

Hard to tell which group has made more of a rip-roaring c**t of things over the past 15 years tbh.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

As if that weren't all bad enough, The Enemy also bizarrely adopted Airdrie United as their shan adopted football club affiliation north of the border as well.

Hard to tell which group has made more of a rip-roaring c**t of things over the past 15 years tbh.

I had totally forgotten I'd seen them at titp in 2008 until you mentioned that. Sure I remember the Airdrie thing being because their strip was pretty much the same as St Helens. 

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Have to credit them for carrying on after Faris Badwan said "you have to hand it to these boys. They're hungry, they're young and they laugh in the face of natural selection" during the NME awards one year.

The lead singer was incredibly unfortunate looking. I remember he said he wrote one of their bigger songs (can’t remember which one)   In a remote location in North west Scotland though. All this reminiscing about the 00’s is keeping me awake.