Unpopular opinions.

Coldplay are excellent live, having seen them several times. Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head are very good albums, with their remaining albums having enough fillers to easily sell out stadia worldwide. They were unquestionably one of the biggest bands in the world in the 2000’s so I’d say it’s not particularly unpopular to like their music.

On another note, Chris Martin is a posh Tory w****r.

6 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Kaiser Chiefs - pretty much as vT described, although The Angry Mob as a song was before its time

Hard-Fi - as vT described although much sadder and more tragic through albums two and three

Stereophonics - solid from their 1995 debut until 2010, where the music seemed to turn into a parody of all the criticism they'd ever faced

Travis - before my time but I saw some of their 2000 Glastonbury performance recently and I'm very glad they're before my time

I always thought Travis were incredibly over rated and it it always really annoyed me their first album was called “The man who”. That said Why does it always rain on me has aged incredibly well and is a solid Scottish crowd pleaser. 

Hard fi third album was one of the most atrocious efforts I can remember and the amount of airtime it got in 2011 was absolutely disgusting. Maybe their first album was good but there were much better bands out at the time.

6 hours ago, virginton said:

Mmm no their third album definitely joins there The Enemy's hilariously bad second album and Muse's tragic abortion of a last album as the three worst collections of music I've ever bought.

I don’t know if it’s the same album I’m thinking of, one of their more recent efforts genuinely sounded like a spoof Queen cover band/Eurovision band, just so absolutely awful I am not entirely convinced it wasn’t a piss take.

Jamie T was another highlight of the 00’s, Panic prevention was superb and he never rushed his follow up album in 2009 which was also great. 

Guest JTS98
45 minutes ago, throbber said:

I always thought Travis were incredibly over rated and it it always really annoyed me their first album was called “The man who”. That said Why does it always rain on me has aged incredibly well and is a solid Scottish crowd pleaser. 

No. Their first album was called Good Feeling and is very good. Everything they did after that was tame Radio 2 pish.

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

No. Their first album was called Good Feeling and is very good. Everything they did after that was tame Radio 2 pish.

My bad then. The Man Who was their biggest album though, remember it being huge at the time. They used to play in the Horseshoe iirc.

50 minutes ago, throbber said:

Hard fi third album was one of the most atrocious efforts I can remember and the amount of airtime it got in 2011 was absolutely disgusting. Maybe their first album was good but there were much better bands out at the time.

I don’t know if it’s the same album I’m thinking of, one of their more recent efforts genuinely sounded like a spoof Queen cover band/Eurovision band, just so absolutely awful I am not entirely convinced it wasn’t a piss take.

Jamie T was another highlight of the 00’s, Panic prevention was superb and he never rushed his follow up album in 2009 which was also great. 

Muse peaked early with Origins of Symmetry, their last good album was Black Holes and Revelations.

Guest JTS98
7 hours ago, Mr Tourette said:

Is this not the case with many bands, though?

Stereophonics and Travis are two prime examples. Their first albums were excellent, then got progressively worse the more famous they got

Exactly this. Word Gets Around and Good Feeling are tremendous albums. It's hard to square them with the atrocities both bands committed subsequently.

They got filthy rich doing it, mind you.

6 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Exactly this. Word Gets Around and Good Feeling are tremendous albums. It's hard to square them with the atrocities both bands committed subsequently.

Just Enough Education To Perform is the musical equivalent of Cornflakes that have been sat in the milk for an hour. It wouldn't surprise me if "Have a Nice Day" was playing on an endless loop in the rooms at Dignitas.

Edited by renton

Guest JTS98
1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Coldplay are excellent live, having seen them several times. Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head are very good albums, with their remaining albums having enough fillers to easily sell out stadia worldwide. They were unquestionably one of the biggest bands in the world in the 2000’s so I’d say it’s not particularly unpopular to like their music.

On another note, Chris Martin is a posh Tory w****r.

I hope the authorities have been alerted to this worrying online display of a deeply troubled and dangerous mind.

Guest JTS98
8 minutes ago, renton said:

Just Enough Education To Perform is the musical equivalent of Cornflakes that have been sat in the milk for an hour.

On one hand I find it incredible how much these bands changed, but they were just going where the cash was.

I consider Stereophonics, Coldplay and Travis as being to British music what Mourinho and Benitez's arrival was to tactics in English football. Having enjoyed thrilling success (Good Feeling and Word Gets Around being Porto and Valencia, Coldplay never really being thrilling), they led everyone else down a path to boredom and lack of imagination, making a fucking fortune and earning critical praise in the process.

Edited by JTS98

7 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Word gets around is superb and performance and cocktails is a great follow up. Just enough education to perform absolute shite and then Dakota the single being probably their best track coming a few years after. A lot of folk turn their nose up at them but they’re another great band to see live. 

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, throbber said:

Word gets around is superb and performance and cocktails is a great follow up. Just enough education to perform absolute shite and then Dakota the single being probably their best track coming a few years after. A lot of folk turn their nose up at them but they’re another great band to see live. 

The first two tracks on Performance and Cocktails were very good. Sadly, the Stereophonics never produced a single listenable song after that.

I Wouldn't Believe Your Radio is a crime against humanity. The fucking airplay that pish got. It's like the inescapability of Blur's dullest song, Coffee and TV, when it was out. What had the public done to deserve that mince wall-to-wall?

Arguably, looking at the state we're in now, British society has never recovered from the horror.

13 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

On one hand I find it incredible how much these bands changed, but they were just going where the cash was.

I consider Coldplay and Travis as being to British music what Mourinho and Benitez's arrival was to tactics in English football. Having enjoyed thrilling success, they led everyone else down a path to boredom and lack of imagination, making a fucking fortune and earning critical praise in the process.

Yeah, Coldplay's early albums are all based on endlessly recombining elements of High and Dry and Fake Plastic Trees from Radiohead's The Bends.

Radiohead are a fantastic band with, in my opinion, 3 classic albums (OK Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows) but the fact they basically were the midwifes for a whole generation of MOR, dull, mushy UK Indie - and Coldplay in particular - is their original sin that they will never truly transcend.

Edited by renton

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

The first two tracks on Performance and Cocktails were very good. Sadly, the Stereophonics never produced a single listenable song after that.

I Wouldn't Believe Your Radio is a crime against humanity. The fucking airplay that pish got. It's like the inescapability of Blur's dullest song, Coffee and TV, when it was out. What had the public done to deserve that mince wall-to-wall?

Arguably, looking at the state we're in now, British society has never recovered from the horror.

I was never subjected to these two songs being overly played at the time, I was only in first couple years at high school so still heard them in reasonable doses. The video for Coffee and TV was probably part of why it was so overplayed.

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, throbber said:

I was never subjected to these two songs being overly played at the time, I was only in first couple years at high school so still heard them in reasonable doses. The video for Coffee and TV was probably part of why it was so overplayed.

I had a paper round at the time of I Wouldn't Believe Your Radio and used to listen to morning radio on my walkman.

I ended up getting a tape player.

Edited by JTS98

10 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I had a paper round at the time of I Wouldn't Believe Your Radio and used to listen to morning radio on my walkman.

I ended up getting a tape player.

A paper round and a tape player. The term halcyon days gets thrown around all too often but impossible not to use here. 

3 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I'm sure it's 99% just the fact that it's what I was listening to at the appropriate time of my life, but Hard-Fi were class. There is not a bad song on Stars of CCTV and while the quality dipped slightly thereafter there's still loads of good stuff on their later albums. 

Looking forward to them reforming in 20 years when they need the money and attending some Rewind-style nostalgia festival with a bunch of other das dressed up in those red Libertine jackets to watch some average indie bands from the mid 00s. 

Their third album was absolutely atrocious with no redeemable features whatsoever.