Unpopular opinions.

14 hours ago, Thorongil said:

Have never heard of anyone doing this, nor have I ever seen a chilli recipe suggesting this. 

Your post is preposterous.

😂 Minced beef chilli is more of a Tex-Mex thing, New Mexico and Mexico go for beef (as mentioned earlier) and is a delight and much better than 'sloppy' chilli. And in New Mexico it's chile.

6 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

😂 Minced beef chilli is more of a Tex-Mex thing, New Mexico and Mexico go for beef (as mentioned earlier) and is a delight and much better than 'sloppy' chilli. And in New Mexico it's chile.

Phone Mexican government this morning. They confirmed that the correct way is mince and had never heard of anything else. The guy on the phone laughed like a drain when I asked him about “beef shin”.

7 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Chilli with lentils is very good too.

How do you cook lentils? I tried curry with lentils once and it was a stodgy mush. I don't know how you're supposed to cook them to a point where they're still whole, never mind putting them in something which needs to be on a heat for a long time like chilli. 

Does anyone here use proper chilies to make theirs, such as ancho or guajillo? Using supermarket chili flakes results in a different dish (as does the use of mince) but I've not found a decent source in Scotland. Any ideas?
Tesco usually have ancho chillies tbf. Dried ones at least.

How do you cook lentils?

The question was about chilli but it could just as easily be about curry. Go for Green, Puy or Brown lentils for a better taste and texture rather than the split red lentils.

https://www.lentils.org/recipes-cooking/how-to-cook-lentils/#:~:text=like%20other%20pulses.-,Rinse%20your%20lentils%20with%20fresh%20water%20before%20boiling%20to%20remove,double%20or%20triple%20in%20size.

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

How do you cook lentils? I tried curry with lentils once and it was a stodgy mush. I don't know how you're supposed to cook them to a point where they're still whole, never mind putting them in something which needs to be on a heat for a long time like chilli. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c4811a297abe8da1d7165ad2daa29a42.jpegI normally use a tin of green lentils in water and they need maybe 30-40 mins or so. 

Might be a recipe somewhere on nom nom thread but it really is at least a decent rival to a meat one and you can use all sorts of veg. A decent chipotle sauce sets it off.

18 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Fucking shut up you.

I've used beef and mince now and again. Diced bacon as well...if I've got a couple of left over sausages...which isn't often...

What else? Fried egg and tattie scone?

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Does anyone here use proper chilies to make theirs, such as ancho or guajillo? Using supermarket chili flakes results in a different dish (as does the use of mince) but I've not found a decent source in Scotland. Any ideas?

Sous Chef (souschef dot)has an amazing range of ingredients for Mexican cooking. Not Scotland, internet orders, really good.

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I would make a separate dahl with lentils and add some of it at the end to thicken a curry - while keeping the rest of the dahl handy as a separate meal. A dinner/lunch next day combination. 

Serve with the premade packets of chapatis, that are the fucking tits when put in a hot, dry frying pan for 30 seconds each side.