May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

its still 7/2 for gray to lose to berry.

I got berry weeks ago(9/1) when I backed the snp at 6/1. Should be okay but I cant help but think labour currently at 8/1 is massive. This will be close tomorrow. Forget 2nd vote green/lib dems and get both to the snp.

None of the bigger parties particularly overwhelm me. I'll be voting SNP in my constituency. I see them as the best of a bad lot, I'd prefer Salmond to Gray as First Minister, and my local MSP (the aforementioned Pauline McNeill) smacks of a lot that's wrong with the Scottish Labour party (arrogant, overpromoted windbag of a local councillor, gives the impression of thinking Glasgow voter = Labour voter - that sort of thing).

I'll probably vote for Galloway in the region, although could still be swayed by the Greens.

And Yes to AV.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Sun have a striking front page of "Keep Salm and Carry On" whereas the Record have a more wordy type of SNP scaremongering. The Scotsman have just gone boring because they're devasted.

FORMER First Minister Henry McLeish has put the boot into Labour leader Iain Gray's floundering election hopes - by blasting him and PRAISING the SNP.

Mr McLeish yesterday dealt yet another blow to Mr Gray as he hit out at his opposition to the Nats' plans for an alcohol price hike.

And he also hailed his rivals' bid to tackle Scotland's booze shame - and their continued success in cutting crime.

With the Holyrood election now just two days away and the SNP surging way ahead of Labour in the polls, Mr McLeish's stance was welcomed by the Nats.

A spokesman said: "His comments are well made.

"The SNP have reduced crime to a 32-year low, delivered 1,000 more police on the streets, and have plans to tackle the booze culture.

"That is why it is vital that the SNP Government is re-elected on Thursday."

Labour grandee Mr McLeish slammed Mr Gray and his colleagues for stubbornly blocking the SNP Government's minimum pricing policy during the last parliament.

His bombshell blast came as the British Medical Association released a report which shows alcohol kills five Scots and costs £97.5million in terms of health, violence and crime EVERY DAY.

Mr McLeish said: "The alcohol problem must be addressed by legislating on minimum pricing. It has to be the priority."

He also praised the drop in crime since SNP chief Alex Salmond came to power four years ago.

He said: "Violent crime is falling and recorded crimes with an offensive weapon, including knife crime, are down by 30 per cent since 2006/7."

Dr Alan McDevitt, deputy of the BMA's Scottish general practitioners committee, called on ALL election candidates to join the SNP in tackling Scotland's booze shame.

He said: "This is a serious issue for the next parliament."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/holyroodelection2011/3560606/Ex-Labour-chief-Henry-turns-on-floundering-Gray.html#ixzz1LQRmkt5P

She's at risk too.

You clearly have liberal/tory leanings(which isn't a bad thing) But what are you hoping is the outcome tomorrow?

Snp Maj.

Snp plus Lib dem

Lab plus lib dem/green

Lab maj.

You clearly have liberal/tory leanings(which isn't a bad thing) But what are you hoping is the outcome tomorrow?

From a Lib Dem perspective, if we finish ahead of the Greens on the list vote and in terms of seats, we can breathe a slight sigh of relief. It's perhaps slightly optimistic to hope for a constituency vote above 10% but anything significantly lower than 7% would be nothing short of a disaster. 9% with 9 seats, with the Greens about a percentage point and a seat behind is what I think will happen.

As for the big two, I hope the SNP absolutely slaughter Labour. A majority is probably out of their reach on their own, but if they get more than 60 seats (I suspect they might fall just short) the Margo and Green contingency should be enough to force through a referendum on independence and govern quite comfortably with a confidence and supply arrangement as they've done in the last 4 years. If the arithmetic is a bit weaker, I'd expect the SNP to do exactly as they've done now without the referendum going through, perhaps having to work more with the Tories. Whilst on an ideology and policy level the SNP and Lib Dems aren't worlds apart I don't see Salmond making any olive branch gestures for a coalition, or even a confidence and supply agreement with the Lib Dems. In a strange way he'll find it easier to work with the Tories.

A result with the SNP being the clear backbone of the next administration, either with informal support around the houses or something a bit closer with the Greens, and a complete and utter tanking of Labour I could live with.

From a Lib Dem perspective, if we finish ahead of the Greens on the list vote and in terms of seats, we can breathe a sight of relief. It's perhaps slightly optimistic to hope for a constituency vote above 10% but anything significantly lower than 7% would be nothing short of a disaster. 9% with 9 seats, with the Greens about a percentage point and a seat behind is what I think will happen.

As for the big two, I hope the SNP absolutely slaughter Labour. A majority is probably out of their reach on their own, but if they get more than 60 seats (I suspect they might fall just short) the Margo and Green contingency should be enough to force through a referendum on independence and govern quite comfortably with a confidence and supply arrangement as they've done in the last 4 years. If the arithmetic is a bit weaker, I'd expect the SNP to do exactly as they've done now without the referendum going through, perhaps having to work more with the Tories. Whilst on an ideology and policy level the SNP and Lib Dems aren't worlds apart I don't see Salmond making any olive branch gestures for a coalition, or even a confidence and supply agreement with the Lib Dems. In a strange way he'll find it easier to work with the Tories.

A result with the SNP being the clear backbone of the next administration, either with informal support around the houses or something a bit closer with the Greens, and a complete and utter tanking of Labour I could live with.

And i Suspect Samond would rather like to work with both the Lib dems and the Tories. I believe in the man and think that he is in the job for all the right reasons. Its a feeling I get from Goldie and Scott, I actually(like XBL) like Scott. While he's not a strong politicial his heart is in the right place. I could see these three shaping holyrood if it were not for labour and the weakening press machine.

Salmond had little choice to distance himself from the tories, or the vote would slump. What is as a comparison between labour in the lib dems, Labour have been let off with backrupting this nation, yet the Lib dems have been slaughtered for tuition fees despite getting many lib dem policies though(min wage etc)

Last point. Todays times had a good letter about the tory government only coming up David cameron through their AV voting system. A system that has introduced the last 3 leaders.

And i Suspect Samond would rather like to work with both the Lib dems and the Tories. I believe in the man and think that he is in the job for all the right reasons. Its a feeling I get from Goldie and Scott, I actually(like XBL) like Scott. While he's not a strong politicial his heart is in the right place. I could see these three shaping holyrood if it were not for labour and the weakening press machine.

Salmond's reasonably comfortable working with both in the Scottish Parliament, but the impression I get is that the Lib Dems are a bit of a poisoned chalice for him at the moment. You know what you're getting with the Tories, whereas that's not quite so much the case with the Lib Dems. I don't really rate Tavish Scott but he's a safe pair of hands. I think the Lib Dem strategy at this election has just been to try to blend into the background as much as possible, shore up the core vote and avoid critical damage, which is perfectly reasonable in the circumstances.

Salmond had little choice to distance himself from the tories, or the vote would slump. What is as a comparison between labour in the lib dems, Labour have been let off with bankrupting this nation, yet the Lib dems have been slaughtered for tuition fees despite getting many lib dem policies though (min wage etc)

I find it astonishing just how harsh the backlash is against the Lib Dems. I'm increasingly coming to the view that it's not really about the tuition fees (which even the IFS says are going to be more progressive) but just an excuse to latch onto for people to hit back at them for governing with the Tories. Labour and the Tories have broken far bigger promises in the last 50 years than what essentially amounts to a largely irrelevant up-front fees figure in a university funding matrix.

Last point. Today's times had a good letter about the Tory government only coming up David Cameron through their AV voting system. A system that has introduced the last 3 leaders.

Yep. Under FPTP Ken Clarke would have beaten William Hague, Michael Portillo would have beaten IDS, David Davis would have beaten David Cameron and indeed David Miliband would have beaten Ed Miliband.

Anyone else really struggle with the concept of 2nd vote green? "Their voice" is well and truely represented with the SNP and only slightly less with Labour. When you read their manifesto take on the forth crossing is rather daft adn their coucil tax reform isn't workable. I would have though the SNP's pro green message would have quashed any Green vote. Clearly not.

Archived