May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Anyone else really struggle with the concept of 2nd vote green? "Their voice" is well and truely represented with the SNP and only slightly less with Labour. When you read their manifesto take on the forth crossing is rather daft adn their coucil tax reform isn't workable. I would have though the SNP's pro green message would have quashed any Green vote. Clearly not.

It's not all a bad thing for the SNP though, given that they do have a lot of similar policies. If enough the list votes in some of the SNP-dominated regions go to the Greens, then they're going to scoop a couple of seats which might otherwise have gone to the Unionist parties.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just found out that my dads cousin is Bill Bulter, the Labour guy for Glasgow and Anniesland.

Just sharing.

I just found out your dad's cousin is a fucking wanker.

pleasing.jpg

I'm quite tense about this one! I thought this election was going to be a Labour win of no real consequence, but it could actually be a crucial moment in Scottish history. So I'm worried to f**k, I just hope Labour don't win it...

Oh, and I see Enigma went for:

Oh and SNP,SNP,No or Spoil

I'm also going SNP, SNP, and definitely Spoil.

So what channel will people be watching (if people plan to watch the results come in)? I guess the choice is BBC or STV, given that the British shows will be focused on council elections and the referendum. Normally I'm fairly loyal to the BBC, but their coverage has been nothing short of appalling this election, whereas STV have really impressed me. Tempted to give their coverage a whirl instead for the first time.

SNP, SNP, Yes for me.

If Gray loses his seat words won't be able to describe how brilliant it'll be. I can just picture the look on his face. :lol:

That'll do me! A resounding SNP win, with Gray losing his seat and somebody editing a wee montage of him looking gutted coupled with the infamous Barry Davies commentary (LOOK AT HIS FACE! JUST LOOK AT HIS FACE!!)

Haven't voted yet but for me later it'll be SNP X2, and probably y2av.

labour, labour and yes.

:lol:

away for a day shift, will get round to it at about 5 tonight, then I'm on 'knock-up' duty from 6-8, then off to the count. Can't wait till I'm up at the office, there's a real buzz on election day.

I bet XBL wishes he had joined now......

SNP constituency, Green list, AV Yes.

STV seems to be the only reasonable channel to watch tonight, the BBC have done their best to pretend that this is all a council by-election, or something. Their coverage has been abysmal.

Actually, the BBC coverage is going to be pretty comprehensive from 10 pm tonight.

You have to remember how amateur hour STV are at, well, everything.

Anyone else really struggle with the concept of 2nd vote green? "Their voice" is well and truely represented with the SNP and only slightly less with Labour. When you read their manifesto take on the forth crossing is rather daft adn their coucil tax reform isn't workable. I would have though the SNP's pro green message would have quashed any Green vote. Clearly not.

The SNP? Pro-Green?

:lol: :lol:

Haven't read a bigger load of nonsense in this thread, including Reynard's tongue-in-cheek lefty rants and Law Stud's hand-wrining over a Labour vote.

The SNP want to build lots more roads, are fully dependent on the oil/carbon economy, and don't seem to be able to see a way beyond that. There's lots of big talk about renewables, but little tangible detail to the plans to switch renewables.

Other than a broad agreement on holding a referendum on independence, the parties diverge quite sharply.

Actually, the BBC coverage is going to be pretty comprehensive from 10 pm tonight.

Well, they've invested a lot of money in covering the election properly, whilst the BBC haven't, presumably as they have decided in advance that they don;t like the result.

Apparently Iain Gray did a final 'walkabout' in Edinburgh's Grassmarket yesterday. The sketch in the Times is brutal reading - he started his walkabout (in an area where you'd be hard pushed to find a few dozen voters, it's a tourist hot spot) outside the 'Last Drop' pub before meandering past Edinburgh's oldest joke shop. The paps were loving it - "Iain can you just pause in front of that six foot high sign that says Joke? Cheers mate!"

He is awful, as are the Labour Party in Scotland.

I bet XBL wishes he had joined now......

Not me, I'm not the type to join organised parties!

Normally I'd absolutely agree with you, previously, the thought of using anything other than the BBC was unthinkable, but as has been pointed out, the BBC coverage has been dreadful. Brian Taylor has clearly thrown the towel in, Radio Scotland was fairly disgraceful, the website hardly got updated, it was just like they begrudged every facet of the election. In contrast, STV had candidate list, covered the debates comprehensively, had decent analysis and round up, and regular news. Oh, and acknowledged that opinion polls existed. It was just a much more professional operation than the BBC. The biggest thing the BBC did was take a poll of manifesto commitments and declare that Labours were the most popular, a poll they took just after the release of the three Unionist ones and before the SNP and Greens released theirs. The only decent coverage by the BBC has been Newsnicht, which has clearly taken a break from being craven for a few weeks.

So really, STV deserve a whirl. They have been much more professional so far...but then, I'm fairly loyal to the BBC.:(

So what channel will people be watching (if people plan to watch the results come in)? I guess the choice is BBC or STV, given that the British shows will be focused on council elections and the referendum. Normally I'm fairly loyal to the BBC, but their coverage has been nothing short of appalling this election, whereas STV have really impressed me. Tempted to give their coverage a whirl instead for the first time.

STV definitely. Those smug Labourites at the BBC don't deserve my custom. If I could, I'd stop paying my licence fee.

Archived