The Falkirk FC Thread

I think with Rankin in the team we now have the potential to play a proper diamond formation in midfield with Kerr at the back, Sibbs at the front and Taiwo & Rankin on either side.

The whole mix just doesn't seem right to me. We have had 5 competitive games so far and no idea what our best team or formation is.

Houston played one way the whole time he has been in charge and Saturday pulls out a left field formation from nowhere. If you are going to play a back three at least one needs to have some pace? If you are going to play wing backs you have to play a better footballer than Muirhead? The only real plus for me of Saturday's formation was Sibbald in the number 10 position.

For Saturday I would resort to a back 4.

I would leave out Watson and McCracken and play Muirhead at CH. bring Kidd in. Midfield four would be Craigen, Rankin, Sibbald and Hypo, with Austin and Miller/McHugh up front. Gives us a bit more pace. A bit of balance with two fullbacks able to get forward and a bit of size too.

Kerr has been awful in the league cup as has Watson. McCracken is done and I would ship out Baird if you could get someone to take him.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

The whole mix just doesn't seem right to me. We have had 5 competitive games so far and no idea what our best team or formation is.

Houston played one way the whole time he has been in charge and Saturday pulls out a left field formation from nowhere. If you are going to play a back three at least one needs to have some pace? If you are going to play wing backs you have to play a better footballer than Muirhead? The only real plus for me of Saturday's formation was Sibbald in the number 10 position.

I would leave out Watson and McCracken and play Muirhead at CH. bring Kidd in. Midfield four would be Craigen, Rankin, Sibbald and Hypo, with Austin and Miller/McHugh up front. Gives us a bit more pace. A bit of balance with two fullbacks able to get forward and a bit of size too.

Kerr has been awful in the league cup as has Watson. McCracken is done and I would ship out Baird if you could get someone to take him.

Absolute knicker wetting stuff here.

Were you there on Saturday? McCracken saved us a couple of times and given our lack of activity upfront no doubt saved us from a bigger loss.

Kerr will come good, one of our most consistent players last term. Baird needs dropped not shipped out there's no other forward on the books we can say would easily replace the goals got last season. 

Too many as usual judging our players after seeing them for 5 minutes.

24 hours later with no further football played

Some boy

Absolute knicker wetting stuff here.

Were you there on Saturday? McCracken saved us a couple of times and given our lack of activity upfront no doubt saved us from a bigger loss.

Kerr will come good, one of our most consistent players last term. Baird needs dropped not shipped out there's no other forward on the books we can say would easily replace the goals got last season. 

Hope you are right

Some boy

Different as you have slaughtered new players. I have not made my mind on them as we have still not seen enough of them. I believe the three players I pointed out are over the hill IMO. In Baird's case how many goals since January ?

Aye I'm just being wide in fairness.

McCracken and Watson outperformed Gasparotto on Saturday. Easily. I'm not sure on Kerr over Rankin/Taiwo, Rankin impressed me on Saturday. I've already said I like Austin/Miller/McHugh over Baird.

I reckon you'd be changing too much shifting all those players around, and Hippolyte will never be a player for us.

McCracken is finished. Just because he was the best performer when the whole defence had a bad day doesnt mean hes any good and going by the highlights he was still culpable in at least one of the goals . Someone needs to ask Houston why he actually paid money for Hippolyte if hes never going to play him. A club our size cant afford to be paying transfer fees for players who end up playing with the under 20's. Baird looks like he's hit the wall and the extra years extension in hindsight now looks like a mistake. I don't think dropping him will see him regain his form and we cant afford to keep playing him till he gets back in the goals. Perhaps the option of a loan deal to another club till jan would see him get game time and the opportunity to get back into some kind of form. We could then use his wage to bring in a loan player whether it be another striker or someone with a bit of a goal threat in midfield. Excuse my ignorance as I was working on Saturday but out of McCracken, Watson and Gasparotto are any of them actually left sided and if so were they playing on the left side of the back 3? Whilst playing in a 4 on the wrong side is one thing its a whole different ball game in a back 3 especially if your not used to it. Kerr, Rankin, Taiwo only Houston knows why we've ended up with these 3 when we're clearly needing other options in the midfield.

McCracken is finished. Just because he was the best performer when the whole defence had a bad day doesnt mean hes any good and going by the highlights he was still culpable in at least one of the goals . Someone needs to ask Houston why he actually paid money for Hippolyte if hes never going to play him. A club our size cant afford to be paying transfer fees for players who end up playing with the under 20's. Baird looks like he's hit the wall and the extra years extension in hindsight now looks like a mistake. I don't think dropping him will see him regain his form and we cant afford to keep playing him till he gets back in the goals. Perhaps the option of a loan deal to another club till jan would see him get game time and the opportunity to get back into some kind of form. We could then use his wage to bring in a loan player whether it be another striker or someone with a bit of a goal threat in midfield. Excuse my ignorance as I was working on Saturday but out of McCracken, Watson and Gasparotto are any of them actually left sided and if so were they playing on the left side of the back 3? Whilst playing in a 4 on the wrong side is one thing its a whole different ball game in a back 3 especially if your not used to it. Kerr, Rankin, Taiwo only Houston knows why we've ended up with these 3 when we're clearly needing other options in the midfield.

Gasperotto and McCracken have both played left side for us in a back four. Calm down Mr Dog.

You obviously didnae read my post properly. I asked if they were actually left sided? ie favour  their left foot? Whilst playing left centre half if your right footed in a back 4 is one thing its a lot more difficult playing left sided centreback in a back 3 if your right footed.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

22 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

I run through the left backs I've seen in the last 25 years and Leahy isn't in the same league as most of them.

If you think he's a quality left back you haven't been following us long.

I'd be interested to hear who you feel was better Gaz, other than those already quoted? (Apologies if I've missed this somewhere.)

Leahy does a job but hes still really a makeshift left back. Hes excellent going forward  and can score the odd blinder but defensively he lacks positional sense back there and he can struggle for pace. He also goes to ground far too easily. However,hes currently  the best weve got and certainly not our weakest link. 

Leahy does a job but hes still really a makeshift left back. Hes excellent going forward  and can score the odd blinder but defensively he lacks positional sense back there and he can struggle for pace. He also goes to ground far too easily. However,hes currently  the best weve got and certainly not our weakest link. 

Agree with the full post bar the last line. Teams see he's our weakest defensive link and exploit it sadly.

Watch how many teams focus on going down the right channel against us.

Just a quick update on Gordy's fund and I am afraid it is mixed news,when the money for the Swansea game and the online auction is taken into consideration we have so far raised an unreal figure of £34k.

Gordons family are so grateful to everyone who has donated.

Now the bad news

The building costs have nearly doubled since the appeal was started and set the family back as you will well understand,so in short (too late)

Anyone got a spare 25 grand they don't need?

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

I'd be interested to hear who you feel was better Gaz, other than those already quoted? (Apologies if I've missed this somewhere.)

Left backs that were better than Leahy in the last 25 years.

Jamie McQuilken

Craig Mcpherson

Tam Scobbie

Steven Kingsley

Tommy McQueen 

I do prefer him  to Andy Seaton to be fair.