The Falkirk FC Thread

The problem is more that 14 year old promising players ( or more likely their dads. ) sign for these teams with a dream but little hope of breaking into the big team/big money. If more of them decided it was better to work up through the leagues to make their fortune the problem would not exist. A few years ago if I was the father of a young talent I would have tried to get him to Falkirk. Not so much recently

Painful reading!

I found it funny how he seems to have little faith in the loan system yet we have O'Hara out on a development loan. Is he not confident he'll come back a better player next season for having first team experience? Likewise for Rogers (although not Scottish) he's arguably improved as a keeper after playing first team with us

The difference between this and the draft system in America is that the draft favours the worse performing teams, by giving them first pick, with the goal of actually improving the overall standard of the entire league and, crucially, making it more competitive. The old firm simply buying up smaller clubs to field their B-team would have the opposite effect, should it succeed as a system. How long before they would just start fielding their reserves instead of youngsters. Would we potentially generate better Scottish players in the short term? Maybe. Would we eventually end up with a league no-one gives a shit about? Probably.  

Nonsense from auld Alex, Rangers had the perfect opportunity to bring through youngsters during their long journey up through the seaside leagues. Instead they filled the jerseys with foreign nonentities to scrape past the likes of Elgin, the Shire and Albion Rovers. Crazy!

Quite brilliant that people believe Rangers and Celtic want to help Scotland become better.

If Rangers and Celtic were offered some form of deal that meant helping Scotland and hindering themselves they'd scrap it without hesitation.

I also can't help noticing neither of them want to be in Scotland and would move In a heartbeat should the invitation come.

9 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It's catastrophically embarrassing.

Airdrie and Clyde would be well within their rights to phone up Doug Henderson in a rage and very pointedly ask WTF his employee is doing, publicly suggesting their clubs get bought over by the filth.

Absolutely spot on. 

I didnt mean are they close to getting game time, I meant are they good enough? Are there any that could sit on the bench and potentially make a viable impact if needed as an option? And then stake a claim going forward.

Watched a few development games this season & lots last season and both Gallagher and Finlayson both worth a shot. Think O'Hara better than what we have. Would have loved to seen more of him and Lee together.

3 hours ago, PipoIsABairn said:

The difference between this and the draft system in America is that the draft favours the worse performing teams, by giving them first pick, with the goal of actually improving the overall standard of the entire league and, crucially, making it more competitive. The old firm simply buying up smaller clubs to field their B-team would have the opposite effect, should it succeed as a system. How long before they would just start fielding their reserves instead of youngsters. Would we potentially generate better Scottish players in the short term? Maybe. Would we eventually end up with a league no-one gives a shit about? Probably.  

exactly. the NFL draft is a superb system for achieving a competitive set-up. in recent times e.g. the 49ers/Giants/Bears have gone from top to bottom, while eg Carolina/New England/Seattle have done the opposite...plus pretty much every team has a superstar player, from New Orleans to Atlanta. 

of course what happened here in the past is the ugly sisters bought up anyone from any other team who has a big game against them, stick them in their reserves, then to top it off complain about lack of competition from the rest... You couldn't make it up. 

1 minute ago, ANEWHOPE said:

Watched a few development games this season & lots last season and both Gallagher and Finlayson both worth a shot. Think O'Hara better than what we have. Would have loved to seen more of him and Lee together.

Yeah don't think O'Hara has been given much of a chance, would've liked to see him getting game time with us. He's better than Shepherd, who is really our only 'breakthrough' player this season - even though not his first season by any stretch. Concerns me a fair bit that Houston has wasted money on journeymen and so far only got us marginally closer to success than Holt or Pressley who blooded a lot of guys who we're sold on for money.

Who exactly do we think will go for money come the summer? Grant is only realistic option IMO and he's just back from a very serious injury.

If we don't get a cup run we'll be back in financial bother.

6 hours ago, bairnabeau said:

Painful reading!

I found it funny how he seems to have little faith in the loan system yet we have O'Hara out on a development loan. Is he not confident he'll come back a better player next season for having first team experience? Likewise for Rogers (although not Scottish) he's arguably improved as a keeper after playing first team with us

I'd have to say we'd have to go back to Darren Barr when the loan system worked for us.

Dick at Stranraer was a regular first team player and by all accounts did well but having Gallacher coming through and four centre halves, his wage would've probably seen him out on loan again, so can see why he was freed.

Our recent loans have all went out and been either out the 11, sub or outside the squad and the loan system has failed us.

A look at our league from last season, the players loaned I can think of - Henderson, Shankland, Rogers, McManus, Gasparoto, Stokes, Connoly, Hardie, Walsh, Clarkson, Harris and Murdoch.

Have any of them went back to the parent clubs in a better position ?

*** I'd also say Stewart Murdoch the last loan that's worked for us

3 hours ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

of course what happened here in the past is the ugly sisters bought up anyone from any other team who has a big game against them, stick them in their reserves, then to top it off complain about lack of competition from the rest... You couldn't make it up. 

The OF systematically ruined every decent team who could compete with them.

They then stuck most of the signings in the reserves or rarely played them. This meant the competition suffered, The players development suffered and also to a degree Scotland suffered.

Apparently the problem is though that teams can't compete and Rangers and Celtic should be able to buy up diddy teams to save the day.

I hear the AGM was a bit of a shambles. Two directors didn't show out of the five. One that was being re-elected and the other who looks after the finance. When pressed on financial questions the Chairman had no idea of the detail.

Also big buck been spent on the consultation for the ES.

Not all roses in the Boardroom by the look.

42 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I hear the AGM was a bit of a shambles. Two directors didn't show out of the five. One that was being re-elected and the other who looks after the finance. When pressed on financial questions the Chairman had no idea of the detail.

Also big buck been spent on the consultation for the ES.

Not all roses in the Boardroom by the look.

No but we've got another pub opening before the start of next season. Can only hope they run this one better than the one in the West stand.

There shouldn't be any need to have the bar ticketed as the South Stand concourse has separate entrances to the turnstiles.

Something like what Livingston have under their stand behind the goal would be perfect, just a bar, some tables, and games consoles for the kids. IIRC correctly it did basic food as well. Doesn't need to be anything too fancy and tbh should have been done when the stand was built. 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

13 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

There shouldn't be any need to have the bar ticketed as the South Stand concourse has separate entrances to the turnstiles.

Something like what Livingston have under their stand behind the goal would be perfect, just a bar, some tables, and games consoles for the kids. IIRC correctly it did basic food as well. Doesn't need to be anything too fancy and tbh should have been done when the stand was built. 

Was it not more to do with the police and numbers that meant you had to buy a separate ticket for the bar on top of one for the west stand? I'd like to think we'd checked with them first to ensure that won't be the case this time around.

Make it feel homely if they're planning on doing that, framed shirts from ex-players, big photos of old games and pictures of Brockville.

I'm not saying we should be comparable but Leverkusen had a set up like this when I was at a game there and it was brilliant.