The Falkirk FC Thread

Gordon Marshall saves Owen Coyles penalty, launches it up the park and Simon Stainrod volleys it past John Martin. Cue Stainrods backflip that the cameras missed. Great away days.

Young fans will never experience days like that. Away days as a Bairn then were the best ever.

34 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Aye Big Davy the Jambo. He used to come on the bus with us to Tynecastle.

Had many a great night up there. Our player of the year dances were legendary. We regularly used to miss the start of away games cos we cudni get them all out the pub and the bus would be late leaving emoji16.png

And Pauly and Fadgy. Great boozer back in the day. I was on his bus the day we pumped Hearts 4 0 in the cup. That was a magic night in the Tavern.

Gordon Marshall saves Owen Coyles penalty, launches it up the park and Simon Stainrod volleys it past John Martin. Cue Stainrods backflip that the cameras missed. Great away days.

Backflip eh? Couldn't see Simon doing one of them, more of a forward roll!

Mindless nostalgia.

I used to have a video with loads of games from that era on it. It had the Partick cup replay at Brockville on it which was a cracking game. I had another video that had the full live tv game against Ayr United. We had some team then.

So what was everyone's favourite all time moment as a Falkirk supporter?

Mine was when we beat Celtic 1-0 in the cup semi final replay at Ibrox in 97.

I can distinctly remember after the first game in which Kevin James scored the equaliser in a 1-1 draw, hearing some Celtic supporters discussing the game as they came out the ground complaining about the performance and the one of them uttering 'I know we will win the replay but still...'.

Couldn't help think GIRFUY after we won the replay.

And Pauly and Fadgy. Great boozer back in the day. I was on his bus the day we pumped Hearts 4 0 in the cup. That was a magic night in the Tavern.

It was always Toosel and McFeat we couldn't get out the pub. Jimmy Stirling used to run the bus. They were all cracking guys and travel to away games was a great laugh.

So what was everyone's favourite all time moment as a Falkirk supporter?  Mine was when we beat Celtic 1-0 in the cup semi final replay at Ibrox in 97.  

I can distinctly remember after the first game in which Kevin James scored the equaliser in a 1-1 draw, hearing some Celtic supporters discussing the game as they came out the ground complaining about the performance and the one of them uttering 'I know we will win the replay but still...'.

As mentioned Stainrod at McDiarmid was probably mine. Super Tuesday would be high up there as well though as would the 1994 cup defeat of Rangers.  

Worst moment was the semi-final defeat to Hearts at Ibrox. I have never been so gutted coming away from a game, Crunchie was immense that day.

12 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

It was always Toosel and McFeat we couldn't get out the pub. Jimmy Stirling used to run the bus. They were all cracking guys and travel to away games was a great laugh.

Brilliant place.

I've moved away from the area now but still see Jimmy Stirling around. I used to play for the same juvenile as Jimmys oldest laddie.

Good days.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

As mentioned Stainrod at McDiarmid was probably mine. Super Tuesday would be high up there as well though.

Worst moment was the semi-final defeat to Hearts at Ibrox. I have never been so gutted coming away from a game, Crunchie was immense that day.

Still can't think of a better individual performance by a Falkirk player in a game to date. How we lost that game in the end I still can't fathom.

My favourite Falkirk player of all time. He used to roast defenders at Brockville.

5 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Without a doubt that game we had a week of ' you only get one shot at the old firm' and patronising pictures of little and large Kevin James and Crunchie in the tabloids. I never thought we would win and after the goal it was Falkirk v Di Canio. My 47 year old normally reserved dad was standing on his seat at the end of the game singing his lungs out having waited for decades to seeFalkirk get to a cup final. I wore my Falkirk top to school in Alloa the next day and got made to wear it inside out by the rector as football colours weren't allowed. 

Brilliant place.
I've moved away from the area now but still see Jimmy Stirling around. I used to play for the same juvenile as Jimmys oldest ladder.
Good days.

Jimmy Stirling is a gem of a guy. We lived in Polmont at the time and moved away although now back in Grangemouth. Haven't seen him in years.

I'm pretty sure he got scunnered with how the club was being run around the end of the 90's and stopped going. As far as I can remember it was not long after the 97 cup final.

12 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

That was a brilliant night but had been bevvying on the Oxgang since 11am so sketchy memories of it.

Hearts 4 0 in the cup was my favourite. Samuel was unplayable and Owen Coyle was such an intelligent striker.

I remember Coyle on Sportscene with Gordon Smith say Samuel had all the attributes i.e. pace, power and finishing to make it big down south.

Without a doubt that game we had a week of ' you only get one shot at the old firm' and patronising pictures of little and large Kevin James and Crunchie in the tabloids. I never thought we would win and after the goal it was Falkirk v Di Canio. My 47 year old normally reserved dad was standing on his seat at the end of the game singing his lungs out having waited for decades to seeFalkirk get to a cup final. I wore my Falkirk top to school in Alloa the next day and got made to wear it inside out by the rector as football colours weren't allowed. 

Me too!

Can't remember but I think that was ultimately the game that got Tommy Burns his books?

My wee 11 year old coupon was on the telly after James' goal as I was in the front row going fucking mental. Brilliant. Wasnt allowed to go to the replay being a schoolnight.

If I were to pick a favourite moment that would be up there but the McCall season is my fondest time as a fan I think. Obviously tainted by the SPL skullduggery at the end and McCall leaving, but the absolute length we gave Hearts in the cup will live with me forever.

Samuels performance in the Hearts cup game at Brockville was definitely up there for me too.

Burns said it was Celtic' s Berwick Rangers a reference to Rangers defeat which I thought was disrespectful to Falkirk. Still it was brilliant the 'add on enough time till Celtic score" tactic from the ref never worked. Those 8 minutes of injury time were nerve wracking but the pay off was worth it.

21 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

As mentioned Stainrod at McDiarmid was probably mine. Super Tuesday would be high up there as well though as would the 1994 cup defeat of Rangers.  

The single best performance I have ever seen from a Falkirk player. On the radio afterwards they were saying it was the best performance by a Scottish player in a cup tie they had seen. I still maintain David Moss was fouled before Hearts second goal.