The Falkirk FC Thread

12 minutes ago, AGPar said:

You keep mentioning this community club stuff. It's completely meaningless, a soundbite beloved of the Craig Campbell's of this world. Every club in the world is in a community, therefore a "community club". It has absolutely zero impact on what happens on the pitch. And I haven't seen one Falkirk supporter claiming we are going to walk the league, so your argument about fan complacency feeding through to the players is equally redundant. If the team we have play to their ability, we should be looking to win this league with a bit of spare. If we cannot have some expectations this season, it really is time to shut the doors. No-one thinks it's a given, especially when we still have in charge a manager who thought he could draw his way to safety last season. He's the biggest concern.

I agree with this. It smacks of people trying to find some way of showing that we arent disrespecting these clubs. 

The reality is, you can expect to beat teams without disrespecting them. Thats where I am. In any sport, any decent professional approaches rheir opposition with respect but that doesnt mean they dont expect to win. 

I am sure Usain Bolt respects his competition but he still thinks he will beat them. 

Ken Hippo decided opinion of our fans but of all his previous clubs think we’re the only ones to see the best of him. Aye he’s inconsistent and frustrating but which winger isn’t? Fully agree with Bairnardo about the amount of needless fouls/bookings picked up for pulling the shirt when he couldn’t be fucked tracking back. However with us anyway he was a descent enough finisher, end product is pretty good as well with both feet and his long throw is a great weapon to have. Would love to have him back.

He’s absolutely never a striker though.

3 minutes ago, Russ said:

Ken Hippo decided opinion of our fans but of all his previous clubs think we’re the only ones to see the best of him. Aye he’s inconsistent and frustrating but which winger isn’t? Fully agree with Bairnardo about the amount of needless fouls/bookings picked up for pulling the shirt when he couldn’t be fucked tracking back. However with us anyway he was a descent enough finisher, end product is pretty good as well with both feet and his long throw is a great weapon to have. Would love to have him back.

He’s absolutely never a striker though.

Fucking massive upgrade over McLean, even if he put his boots on the wrong feet and wore a blindfold.

Fucking massive upgrade over McLean, even if he put his boots on the wrong feet and wore a blindfold.

Tbf I don’t think he’s as bad as people make out, decision making isn’t the best but he’s only had one year in senior football. Think a season at league 1 could be good for him, McKinnon obviously rates him so could see him getting a decent amount of game time.

Loves having a dig from anywhere around the box and he is quite direct too, could be totally wrong but I think he will have a decent year.

3 minutes ago, FalkirkLad said:

Tbf I don’t think he’s as bad as people make out, decision making isn’t the best but he’s only had one year in senior football. Think a season at league 1 could be good for him, McKinnon obviously rates him so could see him getting a decent amount of game time.

Loves having a dig from anywhere around the box and he is quite direct too, could be totally wrong but I think he will have a decent year.

Given he wasn’t up to the physical presence of his opponents in championship I’m not confident he’ll be better this year. Needs a lot of work in the gym to compete with guys who’ve strength. His pace alone isn’t enough. 

He does have a good shot on him, but that’s a passenger if that’s all he brings.

Many grounds are tight little bearpits that we will have to fight and work to get a result. 

[emoji23] fucking hell, it’s Scottish league 1 not Spartacus’ rise to the Colosseum.

Most of the grounds have an atmosphere similar to the moon with 2 men and a dug watching, any atmosphere will likely be generated by your away support. Then you have teams like ourselves and airdrie with half decent and reasonably vocal support that play in massive soulless white elephants.

Falkirk should be expecting to swat aside most of the teams in the league with the players they are bringing in, that’s not disrespectful it’s being realistic.

I’d take Hippo back but not as an out and out striker.
I think whoever comes in from now on is going to be playing off Sammon as the lone central striker. Hippo on the left of the attacking 3 in what we assume is Rays preferred 4231 is probably the position most of us would pick for him.

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
20 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:
I’d take Hippo back but not as an out and out striker.

I think whoever comes in from now on is going to be playing off Sammon as the lone central striker. Hippo on the left of the attacking 3 in what we assume is Rays preferred 4231 is probably the position most of us would pick for him.

I’d say Tids will mainly play off the striker like he did under Ray at Morton.

Having Telfer/McLean/Connolly and Hippo as wide options sounds no bad.

1 hour ago, AGPar said:

You keep mentioning this community club stuff. It's completely meaningless, a soundbite beloved of the Craig Campbell's of this world. Every club in the world is in a community, therefore a "community club". It has absolutely zero impact on what happens on the pitch. And I haven't seen one Falkirk supporter claiming we are going to walk the league, so your argument about fan complacency feeding through to the players is equally redundant. If the team we have play to their ability, we should be looking to win this league with a bit of spare. If we cannot have some expectations this season, it really is time to shut the doors. No-one thinks it's a given, especially when we still have in charge a manager who thought he could draw his way to safety last season. He's the biggest concern.

It's not a soundbite. Just go on the internet and see what they do, most of them work very hard for the community and will be up for it when that cocky shower from Falkirk come to town. These teams should be respected. Posts are being made about Skooshing the league, Diddy Teams, Seaside league. Will be boring as we win every week. If there is a sure way of getting the opposition wound up it's comments like that. If the boot was on the other foot rightly we would be raging with a 'oh you think so do you ' attitude.

Lets save the smart arse comments till the end of the season

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

We are in this league because we deserve to be there. The danger is complacency that feeds from the fans to the players who think we just turn up and go through the motions and the win will come. Lets see how we get on at Stranraer and Peterhead in a midweek winter game with a gale blowing off the sea. Teams in this league are fine community clubs and support that are just as passionate about their teams as we are. Many grounds are tight little bearpits that we will have to fight and work to get a result. 

There arent any midweek games.

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

It's not a soundbite. Just go on the internet and see what they do, most of them work very hard for the community and will be up for it when that cocky shower from Falkirk come to town. These teams should be respected. Posts are being made about Skooshing the league, Diddy Teams, Seaside league. Will be boring as we win every week. If there is a sure way of getting the opposition wound up it's comments like that. If the boot was on the other foot rightly we would be raging with a 'oh you think so do you ' attitude.

Lets save the smart arse comments till the end of the season

Until someone can prove to me that it directly impacts what I see on the pitch on a Saturday, I have less than zero interest in "community projects" at Falkirk, Stranraer, Peterhead, Barcelona or anywhere else. Your "cocky shower" comments are just wild. Again, short of a few posts or a bit of bravado on a message board or twitter, the likes of which you see from supporters of practically every club, I singularly fail to see where this is coming from. Not from the dressing room or manager's office. And, anyway, I would not mind seeing a Falkirk side with a bit of swagger again, would make a very pleasant change from the low (make that no) expectations culture promoted so relentlessly by The Gang over the past decade or so.