The Falkirk FC Thread

10 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Any Alex Harris record breakers at pre season @Bainsfordbairn?

If you mean who was the last man standing at the beep test, it was Alfie. 

TBH I don't think it matters who "wins" the test, other than maybe a bit of professional pride for the winner and those who got closest to him. 

The focus is more on the ones who drop out early and at what stage they fail to make the grade. I heard Hendo yelling at them that if anyone dropped out before a certain stage they were all going to have a tougher preseason. None of them did. I'd guess that the early dropouts will perhaps get a bit more attention from the medical people to get their fitness up. And no, I'm not going to say who those were. 

11 hours ago, Van_damage said:

‘Brilliant player. Unfortunately our management team didn’t understand how to get the best out of you. Their tactics & player selection leave a lot to be desired! Best of luck in your future big fella!’

Tbf, that low opinion of McGlynn’s tactical abilities and questionable use of players is something that plenty of the support would agree with.

Had McGlynn been jettisoned after the utter train wreck of a play off campaign, and Burrell had stayed on, then the chat would have been 100% that McGlynn didn’t know how to use the players he had.

2 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

If you mean who was the last man standing at the beep test, it was Alfie. 

TBH I don't think it matters who "wins" the test, other than maybe a bit of professional pride for the winner and those who got closest to him. 

The focus is more on the ones who drop out early and at what stage they fail to make the grade. I heard Hendo yelling at them that if anyone dropped out before a certain stage they were all going to have a tougher preseason. None of them did. I'd guess that the early dropouts will perhaps get a bit more attention from the medical people to get their fitness up. And no, I'm not going to say who those were. 

I fucking love Hendo 

18 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

I dare some of the young ones at the games have those players that are a favourite but none of the current ones prob with the exception of McGinn would be in the likes of your Baptie, Geordie Watson, Roddy Manley, Alan Irvine, Alex Rae,  Andy Nicol etc

The players you mention were consistently good. You turned up taking it for granted they would play well and always delivered on the pitch and made the players around them better players.

Cannot think of any player post-Houston you could attribute these abilities to.

50 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I doubt burrell would be playing his football in the arse end of beyond that is cove if there had been a queue for his services when he left us. 

Depends if they have thrown a bit cash at him for a year he also probably doesn't know Scottish football all that well and maybe thinks Cove have a great chance of going straight back up. It might have been a bit interesting to see where Nesbitt rocked up if McGlynn hadn't gave him a new deal I can't imagine there will have been a queue for his services either, or Oliver for that matter. 

Ok fellow Bairns, I was given a vintage mug for Father’s Day today, but the question is, what vintage?
I am guessing 1970s or later, but would appreciate if anyone could nail down the date a bit more accurately. Definitely made in England, so before China started making everything for everybody.

Any help would be appreciated!

AEF2D301-C0BF-4862-956B-82E8AB334D97.jpeg

03D6EB02-CE4B-4656-AB24-E80BC2F56714.jpeg

F3A7F86B-45F4-4563-8BFA-6AFDE3924689.jpeg

7 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The players you mention were consistently good. You turned up taking it for granted they would play well and always delivered on the pitch and made the players around them better players.

Cannot think of any player post-Houston you could attribute these abilities to.

Sadly this isn't true. It's easy  to look back with rose tinted specs but those players often struggled. We couldn't get out the Championship (1st Division) most years in the 80s and when we did we tended not to do well. 

One of my first games was in 1987 and was. 6 nil hammering at home to Dundee. Baptie, Manley and Nicol all played that day and Manley scored 2 own goals. 

Easy to romanticise the old days but since the mid 80s the Jeffries team that finished 5th in the Premier and the 7the place finishes under Yogi were our strongest teams. 

Having said that. The players above were far better than the ones we have now. The younger fans will look at guys like McManus and Lee Miller and say they always turned up. 

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Ok fellow Bairns, I was given a vintage mug for Father’s Day today, but the question is, what vintage?
I am guessing 1970s or later, but would appreciate if anyone could nail down the date a bit more accurately. Definitely made in England, so before China started making everything for everybody.

I'd say its about 3 years younger than they troosers

29 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

One of my mates has one and he thinks he bought it at the club shop in the early 90’s. He can’t 100% remember though.

33 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

These were definitely on sale at the club shop (portakabin) at Brockville & then at the Glebe Street shop. So, early to mid 90s.

8 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

These were definitely on sale at the club shop (portakabin) at Brockville & then at the Glebe Street shop. So, early to mid 90s.

Thank you Ross. I love the naive graphics. Like something from the Victor or Valiant.