The Falkirk FC Thread

50 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

If you received the email from the club on Wednesday, there are details near the end of how to join the JB. Sarah's email address is in there

The crux is if you didn't.

My perennial gripe but just put a sign-up form on the site 💻  and job done!  

However, if that's all I've got to moan about it must mean we're doing not too badly everywhere else! 😊

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Only Allen and Morrison have hit double figure league goals in a season in their careers so agree I’m sure McGlynn will have a striker in mind to sign that is more likely to score goals.

We will see I suppose. It is McGlynn to sort.

10 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

He may see Agyeman as more of a winger though and Allan definitely can't play as his lone striker so I reckon we'll see a striker in on loan but probably not until later in the window.

Not sure he does TBH. He has Morrison and Miller for those roles and of course he can play there but I think he sees Agyman playing the role of the lad we had from Sevco 

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Only Allen and Morrison have hit double figure league goals in a season in their careers so agree I’m sure McGlynn will have a striker in mind to sign that is more likely to score goals.

Its fantasy to think there's another striker coming in.  We already have 4 and we play 1 up front.  

None of the 4 are goalscorers.  I think the general belief that Allan can come good is hope (and one I share)more than expectation.  The guy scored 10 goals for Clyde, the highest he's had in a season in a largely disappointing career to date which included being released by Airdrie.  When he did come on last season he offered far less threat than Burrell imo.  

I actually think MacIvor and Agyeman could prove useful signings but not in a McGlynn formation.  I expect we'll see a lot of sideways passing leading to a high ball knocked down by one of them to no-one.  We won't have a second striker and as things stand very few attacking midfielders who look to arrive in the box.  

Our biggest issue will be scoring goals and McGlynns willingness to find a formation that suits the players we have.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

I'd expect McGlynn to keep the front 3 and I'd imagine he would want to be able for that 3 to be fairly interchangeable (2 wide and 1 central/a 10 and 2 central) like he did last season. So I count 6 players in the squad who will play across that front 3 in whatever permutation.

Unlikely to see another in unless a big player becomes available.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

One thing I would agree with the negative lot is we look short of that “striker” a Declan McManus type. McGlynn looks like he has put his faith in a collective of Allen, Maciver, Morrison, Oliver, Aygeman and Lawal. For his sake he best hope it works out 

I agree with this. We seem to be gathering a lot of players that play up front, but none that give me that 15-20 goal a season feel. I'm not sure how realistic it is, but if what others say that Declan Mcmanus is available and we could somehow afford him, he'd be a brilliant aquisition. I'd be very confident about winning this league with him playing, without him that list of strikers doesn't fill me with confidence, especially the way McGlynn set them out last year. Most of them look like "assisters" or 5-10 goals type forwards.

18 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I agree with this. We seem to be gathering a lot of players that play up front, but none that give me that 15-20 goal a season feel. I'm not sure how realistic it is, but if what others say that Declan Mcmanus is available and we could somehow afford him, he'd be a brilliant aquisition. I'd be very confident about winning this league with him playing, without him that list of strikers doesn't fill me with confidence, especially the way McGlynn set them out last year. Most of them look like "assisters" or 5-10 goals type forwards.

Declan McManus has been linked with English League clubs from the Championship down. It’s highly unlikely that he’ll be joining Falkirk.

My opinion on the strikers is that the year extension for Oliver was a mistake and we could have used that budget more constructively however we are where we are.

11 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

I think Burrell's body language in the play off games pretty much emphasised how much he didn't give a shite or what it looked like watching him in those games.  I don't think all had chucked it but trying to get out this league as we have seen there can be no passengers Donaldson and McKay in the last game against Airdrie leading to the goal, from what Falkirk Daft says Rowe and Morrison didn't get on personally thought Rowes attitude was better than Morrison and said at the start of the season Morrison looked overweight and unfit and took him a few weeks to lose a bit again poor start to the season.

I disagree to be honest. Burrell definitely did try as hard as anyone in the playoffs. It was him chasing a lost cause in the first leg that gave us a chance of getting back in the fixture. 

Morrison scored 3 games in a row in August too and looked as effective in games prior. He just seems to be a bit marmite with some fans but never seen him look overweight. 

At the end of the day too if Burrell was such a bad influence then McGlynn should have punted him out. It’s not like he didn’t have other options. 

At the end of the day we can debate the CF situation till the cows come home. My take is simple, we’ve arguably got four/five signed CFs, who like every supporter hopes they come good.
Unfortunately why is my gut feeling is that there’s no 15 let alone 20 goal CF in this lot. We paid cash for one and his arse has rarely left the bench. 
Yes I know it’s difficult to find strikers but with an additional three decent players in - RB attacking MF & CF we won’t be far away. Once again we’ve got a pool of players on decent wages that doesn’t fit/balance right.

Early days as players still to come in……..

2 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

I often wondered what some of our support were seeing with Burrell. I thought he was nothing more than a decent option from the bench but even that faded towards the end.   

Still young and fairly inexperienced so maybe some improvement there but I certainly won’t be losing sleep when we face him next season! 

Burrell’s goals and assists in the league isn’t that far off Callum Gallaghers in terms of minutes played. 

I would liked to have kept him as his pace isn’t easy to find and he was definitely capable of scoring goals. Anyway he’s gone now so just hope he doesn’t come back to haunt us. 

Edited by Van_damage

You’ve got to laugh at this thread. As much as I thought he could have improved our fortunes, Burrell’s lack of game time, at the behest of the managers preference for Oliver, is the primary reason for his moving on.

For anyone to blame him for the quick exit from the playoffs, is hilarious. When you could have driven the whole of today’s Trooping of the Colour through the middle of the park, in the time it took the manager to effect any change.

15 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Ah, the good old need a proven striker line

I don’t think the proven striker is really the issue, it’s more the formation McGlynn utilised last season. If the likes of Oliver, Allen, McIvor, Agyeman, Morrison, Nesbitt etc all weigh in with goals then it negates the need for one 20 goal plus striker. The issue will be if he persists with the alleged 3 that isn’t really a 3 whereby the lone front man is isolated. If that continues then I think he will have problems.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

There's never been a better season to debunk the "can't win anything without a 20 goal striker" fallacy. 

Paton at the top tied with Gallacher on 22 goals. QoS were shite and Airdrie finished a considerable distance off top spot. 

Dunfermline scored less goals than us, and by an even bigger margin, Airdrie, and outpointed both handily. 

42 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

I disagree to be honest. Burrell definitely did try as hard as anyone in the playoffs. It was him chasing a lost cause in the first leg that gave us a chance of getting back in the fixture. 

Morrison scored 3 games in a row in August too and looked as effective in games prior. He just seems to be a bit marmite with some fans but never seen him look overweight. 

At the end of the day too if Burrell was such a bad influence then McGlynn should have punted him out. It’s not like he didn’t have other options. 

Maybe that’s part of the reason he sat on the bench for large parts of the season? In the 12 game run we had without defeat not sure he started one game (not checked) but contributed times off the bench and outside Kelty and Alloa in the cup mostly when games were finished 

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

There's never been a better season to debunk the "can't win anything without a 20 goal striker" fallacy. 

Paton at the top tied with Gallacher on 22 goals. QoS were shite and Airdrie finished a considerable distance off top spot. 

Dunfermline scored less goals than us, and by an even bigger margin, Airdrie, and outpointed both handily. 

Yes but Dunfermline didn't have a defence you could drive a bus through.  It's true you CAN win the league without a 20 goal striker but only if the rest of your team is watertight.  

40 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Maybe that’s part of the reason he sat on the bench for large parts of the season? In the 12 game run we had without defeat not sure he started one game (not checked) but contributed times off the bench and outside Kelty and Alloa in the cup mostly when games were finished 

I wouldn’t expect there to be many changes when the team is on a run like that and Burrell got more game time than Allan and Wright who were available to use should Burrell have been that much of a disruption. 

Edit to add: he started 4 and came off the bench 5 times in that run. Scored 3 times and assisted 2. Nothing points to him being a disruption other than hearsay though. 

Edited by Van_damage

2 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Yes but Dunfermline didn't have a defence you could drive a bus through.  It's true you CAN win the league without a 20 goal striker but only if the rest of your team is watertight.  

The rest of your team still has to be pretty good to win the league even with a 20 goal striker though. It isn't some magic bullet. We failed when we had McManus, with the obvious caveat that we never got to see how it all would have panned out.

Airdrie and QotS couldn't even get close to Dunfermline despite having prolific scorers, and considerable efforts from the supporting cast in Airdries case. 

We've seen this season by virtue of us outscoring Dunfermline (without a prolific striker ourselves) but not outpointing them that you absolutely CAN get enough goals spread through the team, but you absolutely MUST ensure you don't lose focus on other areas. 

At this point McGlynn signing a quality starting RB or a decent midfield enforcer would go as far, if not further, to increasing our points total. 

I'd love another striker as much as the next guy but this laser like focus on it is a bit mental when we know what we know about how the scoring tables versus the league table played out in the season that finished a few weeks ago.