The Falkirk FC Thread

30 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It's frankly amazing that anyone involved directly or indirectly with the bowling club committee that brought us League 1 for multiple seasons, no academy, Gary Deans and Gary fucking Holt has the sheer fucking audacity to come on here even under a pseudonym and lecture the fans about how we're not capable of Stewarding the club and how it should have been left as their baw to treat us like fannies 🤣

You almost would have to laugh and give a wee tip of the hat, if it wasn't for the fact that even with the benefit of anonymity and communicating using the written word, "Braes Bairn" still manages to come across like an obnoxious bell end, and an absolute tory. 

You're certainly entitled to your view but atleast do it based on some facts.  The previous bowling club committee were the ones who re-established the 'academy'.  This is also our third season in L1 under the current incumbents.

30 minutes ago, AJ1981 said:

Defo part of the old regime or one of their hanger's on sitting like poodles at the table, cap in hand, waiting for scraps....

It's the same old story - disagree with anything and you must be aligned to the previous board - yawn.  The same accusation could be laid at your door that your bind loyalty means you must have some affiliation to the current incumbents. 

Plenty on here hiding behind usernames, or leaving the site only to return with a new profile a few weeks later...

38 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Depends on the terms of their contracts though. There may be release clauses built in?

I can't think of any Falkirk player who had a contract with a release clause for the last six months of it. The ones that we know about have always kicked in at the end of a season in which we failed to win promotion. 

The only unexpected losses we tend to get in January are planned season-long loans, as those almost always have a release clause for the January window. 

22 minutes ago, RC_Bairn said:

It's the same old story - disagree with anything and you must be aligned to the previous board - yawn.  The same accusation could be laid at your door that your bind loyalty means you must have some affiliation to the current incumbents. 

Plenty on here hiding behind usernames, or leaving the site only to return with a new profile a few weeks later...

Dude, there are plenty of people I disagree with here but when it's subjective (or entirely a matter of opinion, like formations, players etc) I keep quiet. Or if it's an honest, or credible or understandable opinion, like the maximum number of FSS members we can achieve, I also keep quiet.

But when it's naked agenda, that flies in the face of facts, or common sense then yes,  I will make my case, particularly when, people like you, make comments which show you're  personally invested and wounded.

As for the comments about usernames, that's nothing other than obvious projection...

Edited by AJ1981

🆕🎙️EP:57 GOING FOR 5 (AGAIN)

🔵 Review 1-0 cup win over Queens Park with pundit @ScottFFC1876 🕷️
⚪️ Qualifying for Euro 2024 🇩🇪
🔵 Harrison Howe’s debut ⭐
⚪️ Preview Stirling Albion (A) 💩
🔵 Ross’s Prawn Sandwiches 🥪 , The Navy Blue Pound 💷 & All the latest FFC news 🗞️

📺 🎧📱falkirkdaft.co.uk

IMG_5280.thumb.jpeg.91222bcb2ff5ba337bb28c6d5727009a.jpeg

IMG_5283.thumb.jpeg.1bca5f03c33b9f51db6316d759307d56.jpeg

It's pretty clear from the thousand or so previous posts who are "pro" board and who are "anti" board. There are some on here who know me and hopefully would testify that I am one of the biggest advocates of fan ownership. If I'm being honest , I don't really have any great feeling for either faction as I agree and disagree with some of the comments from both sides. My one and only concern is that the club moves in the right direction in a just and fair way that has the support of the majority of fans.  Compared to previous Boards, the current incumbents are streets ahead in my estimation, although I have been critical of some decisions that have been made, particularly with respect to the FSS relationship and the share issue. 

However, trying to look at the latest (and previous) statements objectively (my perspective only), I think the Board are looking to the future rather than the immediate present. I would like to think that the picture painted is a worst case scenario and that we need to get promoted to exist "as is" next season. I also understand the need to consider the consequences of not going up and what may likely happen. 

What I am against is this continual conversation about FSS numbers and the fact that we have a hardcore of around 4000 fans. If you consider that many of the 4000 are made up of families, teenagers who perhaps want to spend their spare cash on something else, those that really cant afford it but still make an effort to get to a match, oldies who perhaps have no idea of the FSS or any other offering etc. then that number is never going to be achievable. Even getting to 1000 would be a significant milestone. We have to remember that only a few years ago we did not have this extra £100k/yr coming in from fans and we should be praising them rather than asking them to fork out again. This cash is really a bonus to the club that we never had in the past. 

One of my main gripes is asking for cash for nothing. As it stands the FSS don't even have the option to buy shares as there are non left. However there should be some incentive for fans to sign up. I previously mentioned the 1876 Club (£10/mth) and the possibility to at least win something. Why is this not being actively pursued by the club ? There are still some 10 year season tickets left. Why is this not being advertised (fans targeted by the commercial people) for those who perhaps can afford it ? I am sure that some on here will have some pretty good ideas for cash generation that could help the club. 

I'm certainly no financial expert and what I cannot understand is how a club that has a turnover of over £2 million and a playing budget of £1.3 million cannot be sustainable. As an aside, I would wager loads of clubs in the SPFL would love to have that level of turnover and probably are nowhere near it. If this is really the case then we either need to look at our cost base and reduce it if possible (I'm pretty sure that this is being done but perhaps needs some fresh eyes to help here), as well as look at alternative ways of bringing cash in. Bottom line is that the fans and the FSS will not be the answer.

I really hope we don't go down the route of looking for external investors to take over the club unless it's a sovereign investment fund. More importantly I hope we win the league and that this discussion can be put on the back burner for another season. 

Edited by Zbairn

FWIW here’s my opinion on this:

Everybody (including the board) know that the target of 2500 subscriptions to the FSS is not going to happen.
They are also aware that promotion this season is vital. 

If we are playing in the championship next year then the increased prize money, increased revenue and current subscriptions to FSS will cover the current shortfall.

If we are playing in League 1 next season then big decisions will need to be made and external investment will 100% be sought.

The consistent “begging” at the moment is not about reaching 2500 members, it’s about getting as much money as possible in the coffers to do what needs to be done in January to make promotion happen.

The next 6 months are massive. 

Forgive my naïvety, I don't claim to know much about this, but, there are a fair number of teams above us in the pyramid that have a noticeably smaller fan base and income that seem to operate more efficiently that we do, achieve a higher league status than we do and have better players than we do.

How they do this I don't know, but it can't be a closely guarded secret as a good few teams seem to be able to do it.  So, the question is, is there something fundamentally wrong with the way our club is run?  Surely with an average crowd of 4000 a game we could at LEAST break even.  I just don't get it.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

Just now, JulioBairn said:

Everybody (including the board) know that the target of 2500 subscriptions to the FSS is not going to happen.

If we are playing in the championship next year then the increased prize money, increased revenue and current subscriptions to FSS will cover the current shortfall.

If we are playing in League 1 next season then big decisions will need to be made and external investment will 100% be sought.

The consistent “begging” at the moment is not about reaching 2500 members, it’s about getting as much money as possible in the coffers to do what needs to be done in January to make promotion happen.

I'm not sure why some cannot get this and keep dredging up the begging crap.

21 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

It's pretty clear from the thousand or so previous posts who are "pro" board and who are "anti" board. There are some on here who know me and hopefully would testify that I am one of the biggest advocates of fan ownership. If I'm being honest , I don't really have any great feeling for either faction as I agree and disagree with some of the comments from both sides. My one and only concern is that the club moves in the right direction in a just and fair way that has the support of the majority of fans.  Compared to previous Boards, the current incumbents are streets ahead in my estimation, although I have been critical of some decisions that have been made, particularly with respect to the FSS relationship and the share issue. 

However, trying to look at the latest (and previous) statements objectively (my perspective only), I think the Board are looking to the future rather than the immediate present. I would like to think that the picture painted is a worst case scenario and that we need to get promoted to exist "as is" next season. I also understand the need to consider the consequences of not going up and what may likely happen. 

What I am against is this continual conversation about FSS numbers and the fact that we have a hardcore of around 4000 fans. If you consider that many of the 4000 are made up of families, teenagers who perhaps want to spend their spare cash on something else, those that really cant afford it but still make an effort to get to a match, oldies who perhaps have no idea of the FSS or any other offering etc. then that number is never going to be achievable. Even getting to 1000 would be a significant milestone. We have to remember that only a few years ago we did not have this extra £100k/yr coming in from fans and we should be praising them rather than asking them to fork out again. This cash is really a bonus to the club that we never had in the past. 

One of my main gripes is asking for cash for nothing. As it stands the FSS don't even have the option to buy shares as there are non left. However there should be some incentive for fans to sign up. I previously mentioned the 1876 Club (£10/mth) and the possibility to at least win something. Why is this not being actively pursued by the club ? There are still some 10 year season tickets left. Why is this not being advertised (fans targeted by the commercial people) for those who perhaps can afford it ? I am sure that some on here will have some pretty good ideas for cash generation that could help the club. 

I'm certainly no financial expert and what I cannot understand is how a club that has a turnover of over £2 million and a playing budget of £1.3 million cannot be sustainable. As an aside, I would wager loads of clubs in the SPFL would love to have that level of turnover and probably are nowhere near it. If this is really the case then we either need to look at our cost base and reduce it if possible (I'm pretty sure that this is being done but perhaps needs some fresh eyes to help here), as well as look at alternative ways of bringing cash in. Bottom line is that the fans and the FSS will not be the answer.

I really hope we don't go down the route of looking for external investors to take over the club unless it's a sovereign investment fund. More importantly I hope we win the league and that this discussion can be put on the back burner for another season. 

Just picking up on a small part (apologies if I’ve misread - I was just scanning) - you do get the chance to win prizes with the fss. The draw is done on Falkirk daft. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan-FFC said:

Just picking up on a small part (apologies if I’ve misread - I was just scanning) - you do get the chance to win prizes with the fss. The draw is done on Falkirk daft. 

Could be wrong, but is that not a Falkirk Daft initiative rather than an FSS one ?

54 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Forgive my naïvety, I don't claim to know much about this, but, there are a fair number of teams above us in the pyramid that have a noticeably smaller fan base and income that seem to operate more efficiently that we do, achieve a higher league status than we do and have better players than we do.

How they do this I don't know, but it can't be a closely guarded secret as a good few teams seem to be able to do it.  So, the question is, is there something fundamentally wrong with the way our club is run?  Surely with an average crowd of 4000 a game we could at LEAST break even.  I just don't get it.

I can't claim to know very much either but, in a word, it's costs. Our stadium costs us a lot whereas other clubs make a lot from there's. We pay Sandy Alexander circa £80k a year to rent the KM stand for a start.

11 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

You have not been specific about which clubs you are talking about but these clubs most likely have wealthy owners who fund or absorb the clubs losses, we don’t have that. As a fan owned club the fans are the clubs benefactor. We are also operating in the third tier of Scottish football where both the prize money, travelling support and sponsorship money is significantly less than it is even in the championship to the tune of around 3 or 400k. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

6 hours ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

And other clubs have benefactors. 

Some other clubs don't have benefactors and seem to manage OK.

We also have benefactors in SA and those who agreed to give a loan to the club last season. 

I agree that some like Ross Co. would not survive without their sugar daddy, but watch them implode when it all goes pear shaped a la Gretna. 

4 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

We are also operating in the third tier of Scottish football where both the prize money, travelling support and sponsorship money is significantly less than it is even in the championship to the tune of around 3 or 400k. 

We are operating in the 3rd tier with a home support larger than most in the league above and possibly more of a turnover than many in the Championship.

The real difference is prize cash. We need to get promoted ! 

10 hours ago, JulioBairn said:

This is it, no ideas how some can't understand.

1 hour ago, Zbairn said:

Some other clubs don't have benefactors and seem to manage OK.

We also have benefactors in SA and those who agreed to give a loan to the club last season. 

I agree that some like Ross Co. would not survive without their sugar daddy, but watch them implode when it all goes pear shaped a la Gretna. 

Writing off his south stand loan would do more for the club than lending 40k and also receiving 80k every year.