The Falkirk FC Thread

11 minutes ago, Onthegoalline1876 said:

We were down just after three, big enough queue then.   When we came out after the signing, queue was massive !   Was great, great bunch of guys.

You must have been there around the same time as me. Room was roasting and Hendo's sitting there with a woolly hat on his head 😂. Each of the players took time to speak to the kids and seemed a really friendly bunch. My son was delighted to meet "the one who scored the banger" 

16 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

You must have been there around the same time as me. Room was roasting and Hendo's sitting there with a woolly hat on his head 😂. Each of the players took time to speak to the kids and seemed a really friendly bunch. My son was delighted to meet "the one who scored the banger" 

Yep they were all very nice indeed, chatting away.   Aye Hendo with his tammy on !   It was warm indeed there !

McGlynn's recruitment really has been first class since he came in. 

Summer 2022
PJ Morrison
Nicky Hogarth(Loan)
Coll Donaldson
Sean Mackie
Liam Henderson
Stephen McGinn
Finn Yeats
Ola Lawal
Kai Kennedy(Loan)
Gary Oliver
Juan Alegria(Loan)
Rumarn Burrell

January 2023
Brian Kinnear(Loan)
Blaine Rowe(Loan)
Archie Meekison(Loan)
Max Kucheriavyi(Loan)
Matty Wright(Loan)
Jordan Allan

Summer 2023
Nicky Hogarth
Sam Long(Loan)
Layton Bisland(Loan)
Tom Lang
Brad Spencer
Calvin Miller
Alfie Agyeman
Ethan Ross(Loan)
Ross MacIver

January 2024
Ryan Shanley

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Summer 2022
PJ Morrison
Nicky Hogarth(Loan)
Coll Donaldson
Sean Mackie
Liam Henderson
Stephen McGinn
Finn Yeats
Ola Lawal
Kai Kennedy(Loan)
Gary Oliver
Juan Alegria(Loan)
Rumarn Burrell

January 2023
Brian Kinnear(Loan)
Blaine Rowe(Loan)
Archie Meekison(Loan)
Max Kucheriavyi(Loan)
Matty Wright(Loan)
Jordan Allan

Summer 2023
Nicky Hogarth
Sam Long(Loan)
Layton Bisland(Loan)
Tom Lang
Brad Spencer
Calvin Miller
Alfie Agyeman
Ethan Ross(Loan)
Ross MacIver

January 2024
Ryan Shanley

Think Summer 23 has been an absolutely fantastic signing window. Really feel Lang, Spencer, Miller and McIver have added the quality we needed to complete our starting 11 when added to the likes of Coll, Hendo, Finn from the previous year. We have a bit of depth now when you looked at the bench on Saturday, players like Ross, Agyeman are great to be able to bring on when opponents are tiring.

10 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Think Summer 23 has been an absolutely fantastic signing window. Really feel Lang, Spencer, Miller and McIver have added the quality we needed to complete our starting 11 when added to the likes of Coll, Hendo, Finn from the previous year. We have a bit of depth now when you looked at the bench on Saturday, players like Ross, Agyeman are great to be able to bring on when opponents are tiring.

The best sides have the strongest spine, not rocket science but since the aforementioned signings, we’ve looked a more balanced/solid/comfortable unit ( albeit the GK position still scares the shite out of me)

3 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Maciver isn't especially tall but is excellent in the air.

I would say he's at least six feet. Not a skyscraper but tall enough. Good spring and times his challenges for headers well. 

2 hours ago, GMBairn said:

Let's hope he's less of a fucking roaster.

Impossible not to be. I like what I've seen of Shanley *. Wouldn't put him in Ross McIver's class as a footballer, but an aggressive front man who could do a job. It's a smart signing by McGlynn IMO - opportunity arose to bring him in, no fee, experience in league one, provides cover where it maybe didn't exist (Agyeman excepted).

* only seen him twice. ☺

Edited by printer

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

It’s took a few transfer windows but he’s got us looking really strong now, particularly with us being up against a pretty strong and consistent Hamilton side so far this season. Think the decision to stick by McGlynn in the summer has proven to be the correct one, it would have been easy to go for the knee jerk reaction after that Airdrie result and pull the trigger on him. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Aside from the obvious highlight of grabbing a cheeky selfie with Mr October, it was lovely to chat to Finn Yeats who was in no way hesitant in expressing how much he was enjoying his football at Falkirk this year.

Very much looking forward to seeing him progress further this season and hope we can keep hold of him for a good while yet.

8 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

That song was being sung last season as well so that's not a good barometer to measure anything by.

Feet on ground, one game at a time and see where we are come May

Fair point. Can you blame me for being eager to gtf out of this league? 🤣

9 hours ago, superandy_07 said:

Hat trick in this from last year

Goals from this season linked below

Good highlights of Shanley. Looks a strong player, comfortable scoring left or right foot. Can score from range and tight angles and looks a direct runner and attack minded. That’ll do for me. 

Edited by GunnerBairn

14 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Summer 2022
PJ Morrison
Nicky Hogarth(Loan)
Coll Donaldson
Sean Mackie
Liam Henderson
Stephen McGinn
Finn Yeats
Ola Lawal
Kai Kennedy(Loan)
Gary Oliver
Juan Alegria(Loan)
Rumarn Burrell

January 2023
Brian Kinnear(Loan)
Blaine Rowe(Loan)
Archie Meekison(Loan)
Max Kucheriavyi(Loan)
Matty Wright(Loan)
Jordan Allan

Summer 2023
Nicky Hogarth
Sam Long(Loan)
Layton Bisland(Loan)
Tom Lang
Brad Spencer
Calvin Miller
Alfie Agyeman
Ethan Ross(Loan)
Ross MacIver

January 2024
Ryan Shanley

I think out of all of the signings that JmcG has brought in only wright, Allan and Burrell have really worked out to the extent we would have thought

Bisland might get on that list soon but I think all of them have been good signings

Oliver couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn but it’s not how he plays he does good at what you don’t see

Kinnear had one or two stinkers before he left but other than them he was good enough

Alegria was great when he was here

The rest have all been top class 

29 minutes ago, Hisingdoon said:

I think out of all of the signings that JmcG has brought in only wright, Allan and Burrell have really worked out to the extent we would have thought

Bisland might get on that list soon but I think all of them have been good signings

Oliver couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn but it’s not how he plays he does good at what you don’t see

Kinnear had one or two stinkers before he left but other than them he was good enough

Alegria was great when he was here

The rest have all been top class 

Burrell was a good player for us. He’s 23 minutes short of overall minutes played for Falkirk compared to MacIver but still scored 12 goals for us in that time. MacIver has 11 at present. 

Burrell also now sitting on 13 goals as the leagues top scorer. 

McGlynn didn’t fancy him for whatever reason and seems the same with Allan whom I think could be a good player for us. Definitely not two I’d count as a failure in terms of ability. 

Edinburgh FC in dire trouble and this signing shows it. Their fans on their forum think he is a great signing for us (but say "he needs to screw the nut" whatever that means). Allan must be off on loan I think as this signing will be in front of him on the bench I bet. I wish Jordan well - it's really unfortunate he was brought into a side that plays one up front. His one major contribution was up at Cove getting the last minute equaliser and there is no surprise it was him and McIver at the end playing two up front. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to a lower Championship club like Arbroath. 

Edited by Kevin James Left Knee

17 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

Burrell was a good player for us. He’s 23 minutes short of overall minutes played for Falkirk compared to MacIver but still scored 12 goals for us in that time. MacIver has 11 at present. 

Burrell also now sitting on 13 goals as the leagues top scorer. 

McGlynn didn’t fancy him for whatever reason and seems the same with Allan whom I think could be a good player for us. Definitely not two I’d count as a failure in terms of ability. 

McIver offers us way more than Burrel ever did IMO, it’s not just his goals but his ability to hold the ball up, link the play and he is also very good in the air almost always finding runners with his flick on’s ect. I don’t necessarily think Burrell was a bad signing either but if it’s a straight choice between the two there is no comparison for me. Add in to that reports of Burrel having a disruptive influence in what seems to be a really tight dressing room I can see why he was released. 

In regards to Burrell, I think it was purely that John identified that we needed a physical presence which neither he or Allan are, up top and finances dictated that he would leave having signed Allan in the January.

Alegria was the first attempt and Oliver filled the link role albeit lacks the height to be an aerial presence that MacIver is. 

We've now got good variation in the strikers role but the nub is there's only one in McGlynn's system that can start and MacIver plays to the teams strengths. Shanley may also be capable of doing similar but I can't see Allan being any more than a bit-part player now.

43 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

In regards to Burrell, I think it was purely that John identified that we needed a physical presence which neither he or Allan are, up top and finances dictated that he would leave having signed Allan in the January.

Alegria was the first attempt and Oliver filled the link role albeit lacks the height to be an aerial presence that MacIver is. 

We've now got good variation in the strikers role but the nub is there's only one in McGlynn's system that can start and MacIver plays to the teams strengths. Shanley may also be capable of doing similar but I can't see Allan being any more than a bit-part player now.

Exactly this, we play a system with a striker as a focal point and 3 in behind playing off that striker which has obviously been extremely successful so far this season. Why anybody would want to change that system to shoe horn Jordan Allan in I’ve no idea, he has his uses coming off the bench as a different option or as cover for injuries but other than that he never gets into our strongest 11 at the moment as far as I’m concerned. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

We need to see how Shanley plays.  To fit our system he needs to be a player who can control a forward pass and play others in. McIver is great at that as can be seen in the amount of times that his lay offs set up chances for others to create something. If he can be half as good as McIver ( and put some balls in the net ) we are on to a good cheap signing

32 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

... he has his uses coming off the bench as a different option or as cover for injuries but other than that he never gets into our strongest 11 at the moment as far as I’m concerned

I'd also put Gary Oliver into this category as well. He's not clinical enough up-front and no way he get's in ahead of Nesbitt, Miller or Spencer in the creative/attacking midfield roles. 

I'd think both Allan from his demeanour and Oliver due to his age will be one's pushing to move in January - unless we get offers for these guys and he gets another chance.

Edited by Blame Me
Additional thoughts