The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, BPM said:

I have seen this argument being trotted out before and don’t agree with it. The vast majority of the fanbase see us making huge strides forward and are delighted to see it. They will be critical when it is justified eg Poor performance at Bonnyrigg, poor selection at EC. There is an element who only really appear when we lose or when there is an issue where they can have a pop. They rarely post when we win and are looking for every little angle to have a go. They have very short memories or have decided to ignore the past clusterfuck that we gradually became as a club for about 15 years. The reason for that they can only explain.
I have no issues what so ever with people being critical when it is justified but when we are doing well at least seem like you are pleased the club is doing well. 
Only my opinion but I believe there is a small element within the supporter base that would love to see the new fan ownership model and board fail. 

Unfortunately BPM, if you want to stamp out negative viewpoints that’s hardly democratic.

Of course, many will only express a view if it’s negative. That’s usually when people express their frustration. And I agree that there are some with agendas at play. There are some that may even accuse you of the same (not my view) if you are trying to deter negativity.

Irrespective of view, we need a true picture, good and bad of what’s going on and what posters really think.

Apologies, but I disagree with your view here although I sympathise with those doing sterling work behind the scenes that probably feel it’s a thankless task much of the time…..

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Unfortunately BPM, if you want to stamp out negative viewpoints that’s hardly democratic.

Of course, many will only express a view if it’s negative. That’s usually when people express their frustration. And I agree that there are some with agendas at play. There are some that may even accuse you of the same (not my view) if you are trying to deter negativity.

Irrespective of view, we need a true picture, good and bad of what’s going on and what posters really think.

Apologies, but I disagree with your view here although I sympathise with those doing sterling work behind the scenes that probably feel it’s a thankless task much of the time…..

we own the club so we are all accountable to each other, i see it as a pyramid with the board at the top of the triangle who we have appointed to run the club with the layers below being the FSS, the patrons, the shareholders and so on. support and constructive criticism is essential. what i don't agree with is that posting here is of any relevance or importance, we have enough routes now to influence and even control the direction of our club for our voices to be heard so if you're venting here and doing f*ck all in any of the layers your opinion isn't important. 

5 minutes ago, AJ1981 said:

we own the club so we are all accountable to each other, i see it as a pyramid with the board at the top of the triangle who we have appointed to run the club with the layers below being the FSS, the patrons, the shareholders and so on. support and constructive criticism is essential. what i don't agree with is that posting here is of any relevance or importance, we have enough routes now to influence and even control the direction of our club for our voices to be heard so if you're venting here and doing f*ck all in any of the layers your opinion isn't important. 

Totally disagree with your last point! 
Fans, whether shareholders or not, are still stakeholders, and they view is still important. Not everyone has the time to actively participate in the clubs running but they may still have ideas or concerns that should be, at very least, considered. I’m sure a lot of things discussed on here are picked up by the club and acted upon….

Edited by roman_bairn

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

The majority of our squad would be ok stepping up but even our better players won't have the same influence a league above (Morrison perhaps the exception if he stays). 

Guys like Lang, Donaldson, Spencer, Miller, Hendo etc would be good squad level in the championship rather than leading players in a title chasing team.  Hence their last clubs were happy to let them go.  

We did well in the challenge cup games but week in week out in the league is different (as the Fifers are finding out and they walked L1 last year) 

I don't think Donaldson, Miller and Henderson were in the happy to see go club, Lang was out injured likewise Spencer also at Raith and they had riches in their dept or wanted a decent wage of the bill, similar to Ross.

Pars recruitment has been woeful. They have no one to put the ball in the net when they were playing well, that's hurting them now. 

It wouldn't surprise me to see them in the play offs...not top one. 
My pars mate suggested they could avoid play offs and go straight down 👌👌

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

The majority of our squad would be ok stepping up but even our better players won't have the same influence a league above (Morrison perhaps the exception if he stays). 

Guys like Lang, Donaldson, Spencer, Miller, Hendo etc would be good squad level in the championship rather than leading players in a title chasing team.  Hence their last clubs were happy to let them go.  

We did well in the challenge cup games but week in week out in the league is different (as the Fifers are finding out and they walked L1 last year) 

As for the last point, Dunfermline would definitely be in around the promotion playoffs if they didn't have basically a full starting XI worth of players who are injured

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Fans, whether shareholders or not, are still stakeholders, and they view is still important. Not everyone has the time to actively participate in the clubs running but they may still have ideas or concerns that should be, at very least, considered. I’m sure a lot of things discussed on here are picked up by the club and acted upon….

not about time, it's about being in the fss and helping fund the club, the academy, the first team etc, sponsoring a player, going to hospitality, if you want to be a stakeholder and watch the team without participating this fine, but your opinion has less worth than those that do, particularly if you offer it here, seriously, what new ideas have come out of p and b.

It is a tricky balance. I've always thought there are some people on here who only seem to show face whenever the club is struggling or has a bad result; I've always questioned their intentions and do sometimes wonder whether they are fans that regularly go to/watch games or whether they are just shit-stirring for the sake of it.  I think most people can identify these posters when we see them, and for that reason, they are often left out of discussions entirely - the thread 'self-polices', if you will!

However, I do think there are, as roman_bairn said, a handful of people who take any form of criticism to heart and seek to almost stamp out discussion. Accusing posters of being overly negative, fickle, 'attacking the players' or even holding an agenda for positing pretty mild opinions like "as good as this season has been, some of our squad might not cut it at Championship level and we have to be prepared for that" or expressing concern at McGlynn's lack of tactical flexibility during games where teams have worked out how to play against us (something which has been widely levelled at him as a shortcoming throughout his managerial career) doesn't help anyone.

A case and point actually comes from the TNS game; a number of posters on here labelled Nesbitt as one of the few players who got pass marks, while a bunch of others labelled him as one of the worst players on the pitch. It's what makes a discussion board interesting - people hold opinions and see the game differently.  We as Falkirk fans are widely engaging in the positivity this season has brought; why wouldn't we? It's been a grim few years and things look like they are on the up - finally. Ignore the few who clearly want to drag the club down at any opportunity, but let's not drown out differing opinions or solely think that our view is the right one 100% of the time.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

10 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

It is a tricky balance. I've always thought there are some people on here who only seem to show face whenever the club is struggling or has a bad result; I've always questioned their intentions and do sometimes wonder whether they are fans that regularly go to/watch games or whether they are just shit-stirring for the sake of it.  I think most people can identify these posters when we see them, and for that reason, they are often left out of discussions entirely - the thread 'self-polices', if you will!

However, I do think there are, as roman_bairn said, a handful of people who take any form of criticism to heart and seek to almost stamp out discussion. Accusing posters of being overly negative, fickle, 'attacking the players' or even holding an agenda for positing pretty mild opinions like "as good as this season has been, some of our squad might not cut it at Championship level and we have to be prepared for that" or expressing concern at McGlynn's lack of tactical flexibility during games where teams have worked out how to play against us (something which has been widely levelled at him as a shortcoming throughout his managerial career) doesn't help anyone.

A case and point actually comes from the TNS game; a number of posters on here labelled Nesbitt as one of the few players who got pass marks, while a bunch of others labelled him as one of the worst players on the pitch. It's what makes a discussion board interesting - people hold opinions and see the game differently.  We as Falkirk fans are widely engaging in the positivity this season has brought; why wouldn't we? It's been a grim few years and things look like they are on the up - finally. Ignore the few who clearly want to drag the club down at any opportunity, but let's not drown out differing opinions or solely think that our view is the right one 100% of the time.

spot on, excellent post and you've made me think and explain my thoughts better, having a few beers after the game with your pals is the stuff of life but not a lot of sense is talked, especially as the night goes on. this is how i view posting here, it's like the pub where you can offer your view but nobody should take it too seriously.

18 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

I find it fairly easy to differentiate between the genuinely concerned posts(fair enough), the 'traumatised from recent seasons' knicker-wetting(also, fair enough) and the rather blatant DPB friends & family fluffer accounts. 

Aye. Genuine folk will praise when due, criticise when due, and consume humble pie where appropriate. 

3 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I never read BPM’s post as him trying to stamp out negative comments, constructive criticism is fine as long as it works both ways. He’s obviously pointing out certain posters who only ever post when they can deride or fling mud yet remain silent when things are going well. For whatever reason be it agenda driven or otherwise you’d need to be blind not to notice there are a minority on here who almost revel in finding something negative to exacerbate. That does not qualify as constructive criticism and should rightly be called out. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

4 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Of course fans are all stakeholders holders and those who contribute cash or time to the FSS, PG and club in general I’d like to think are appreciated by those who can’t. All views are obviously allowed to be expressed but the point the poster made regarding folks opinions specifically on here is pretty correct, an anonymous opinion or criticism spluttered on this forum actually is very irrelevant/pointless while the club is set up as a democratic fans organisation with multiple ways any individual fan could communicate with or get involved with the club directly should they choose to,  continual bitching and moaning on here smacks of shit stirring to be honest and is more likely to fan flames of any issue there may or may not be rather than actually being proactive about it and typing out your rant in an email to the FSS or club as opposed to posting on an anonymous internet forum a lot of folk probably don’t take that seriously anyway. The time difference is negligible. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

1 minute ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Of course fans are all steak holders and those who contribute cash or time to the FSS should be appreciated by those who can’t. The point he made regarding folks opinions on here is correct tho, an anonymous opinion criticism spluttered on here actually is pretty irrelevant when the club is set up as a democratic fans organisation now with multiple ways any fan can communicate with or get involved with the club directly, continual bitching and moaning on here smacks of shit stirring and is more likely to fan flames of any issue there may or may not be rather than actually being proactive and maybe typing out your rant in an mail to the FSS or club as opposed to an anonymous internet forum a lot of folk probably don take to seriously. 

sirloin,fillet or rump? 🥩😂

6 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

... The point he made regarding folks opinions on here is correct tho, an anonymous opinion or criticism spluttered on here actually is pretty irrelevant when the club is set up as a democratic fans organisation with multiple ways any fan can communicate with or get involved with the club directly ...

I don't disagree that posting on here is generally p*ssing in the wind but I have seen myself make a post about what appears to me to be an issue to gauge how others feel about it and determine if I am the only person with that view point. I could go directly to the club, tweet JS or not bother. 

Not to say that's why others post "criticism" on here but I also suggest as a counter point that the Falkirk management team never select a team, give contracts or trebuchet a player based on what folk write on this thread!

You can always skip over posts you don't want to read or reply. I don't think snark as opposed to sarcasm is always necessary for our fellow Bairns.

I understand if people get frustrated over continuous disagreements on both sides. But not sure why we are policing what people can and can't say on a forum about the club. From my perspective I like to be on here to see people's opinions and chat with others about mine. That is completely separate to whether I do or don't communicate a concern with the club/fss. I don't live in Falkirk so I don't know many falkirk fans to go to the pub with and talk about the club and that's why I'm here talking about things I'm concerned about as well as the pure excellence that has been throughout the season. If there are disagreements there are disagreements but I would hope that everyone on here is balanced enough to be respectful at the very least and let people discuss what they want to discuss. 

28 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

The P&B Falkirk thread has certainly become a much more serious place than it used to be. 

No it fucking hasn't you happy clapping old board sympathising furry pink b*****d