The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, choirbairn said:

I get the impression that too many Falkirk fans think we're here to make up the numbers.

Talk of consolidation, etc, and somebody last night even asking Ayr fans if we are in any danger of relegation. Seriously? What an idiotic question.

Our team has pretty much been in place for a season, during which time they have played very, very well.

In the past few months, we've twice deservedly thumped Dundee United - the team who easily won the Championship last season. Even when the team was still gelling last year, they drew away to Thistle when they scored a late equaliser, and won at Ayr, and last night we could and should have won again but for poor/unlucky finishing, some good goalkeeping/defending, a bad goal lost and a disgraceful refereeing performance that favoured our opponents - no penalty for their defender juggling the ball in the first half, and no yellow card for the guy scything down Morrison on the halfway line. That was the most obvious yellow card of the night yet ref didn't give it - a point Morrison clearly made to him every time he booked a Falkirk player for much less afterwards.

So that's two of the fancied teams and the team who won the title last season. The bottom line is that there is nothing for Falkirk to fear in this division and the sooner all of our fans adopt that mindset, the better.

I am not saying absolutely everything in our garden is rosy. I still think we are a striker short, I don't think either of our goalkeepers can be fully trusted, and - whether you like it or not - neither can McGlynn. He rightly got the plaudits for last season, but I still think we were all lucky that McGinn was injured for most of it, or at least until the team was settled and winning, otherwise McGinn would have played many more games and slowed everything down the way he did the previous season, rather than Spencer and Nesbitt driving us forward at every opportunity. The lack of a decent goalkeeper could turn out to be our Achilles heel, and people have already pointed out that McGlynn was far too slow to make changes last night.

Most fans seem to think seven or eight teams can win the Championship this year but I think it is down to three or four - and we are one of them.

Talk of consolidation or relegation is nonsense. Apart from anything else, around 1000 fans haven't either bought a season ticket for the first time or renewed after years of having given one up, just to accept mid-table mediocrity, or worse. The momentum built up last season could very quickly be lost, as could those 1000 or so extra season ticket-holders. For that reason, challenging for promotion this season is every bit as vital as going up was last season.

I think we all agree there is nothing to fear but having promotion as  the minimum expectation  is too high  for me.  No reason why we can't be there or there about in the playoffs slots but we will rely a lot on avoiding any more injuries as other sides will have deeper squads than us.  I'm sure if we continue to play an exciting brand of football with the players the fans have come to love we won't have anything to fear either re people jumping ship .

1 hour ago, GunnerBairn said:

I see a Bills going through Westminster to setup a football watchdog for the English game. I’d presume the new regulator would also have jurisdiction over Scottish Football too, or hope the Scottish Parliament would look to setup a Scottish equivalent. IMO a watchdog is desperately needed to call out the cartel that is the Scottish Premiership and those in power at the SPFL. They could start by investigating the unfair barrier to promotion of enforced grass pitches costing clubs millions to install. 💡

5BA71137-15FA-4722-83F7-71715F64D0EE.jpeg

No it's England only. We need the same in Scotland but with stronger powers eg to stop grass pitches being used to exclude clubs from promotion. It will probably be in Labour's manifesto for the Scottish elections in 2026. 

Whilst I expect us to finish in the top 4, finishing mid-table wouldn't be a failure.

The gap between Premiership and Championship is much wider than between Championship and League 1. The reality is there is little chance of play-off success, which pretty much reduces to 0 if you finish 3rd or 4th

Much like when McGlynn first arrived, promotion is a two year project. 

9 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

No it's England only. We need the same in Scotland but with stronger powers eg to stop grass pitches being used to exclude clubs from promotion. It will probably be in Labour's manifesto for the Scottish elections in 2026. 

If we got one they would probably legislate that B teams can join the lower leagues. I wouldn’t assume that they would legislate to the benefit of smaller clubs…..

1 minute ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Whilst I expect us to finish in the top 4, finishing mid-table wouldn't be a failure.

The gap between Premiership and Championship is much wider than between Championship and League 1. The reality is there is little chance of play-off success, which pretty much reduces to 0 if you finish 3rd or 4th

Much like when McGlynn first arrived, promotion is a two year project. 

Spot on. I expect us to have great performances and some disappointment.  We will be there or there abouts and with a bit of luck re injuries should be in the playoff mix.

33 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

If we got one they would probably legislate that B teams can join the lower leagues. I wouldn’t assume that they would legislate to the benefit of smaller clubs…..

A lot would depend on the regulator’s mandate. I’m not sure they’d be able to impose B teams on a competition (or for that matter, ban them). That’d amount to government interference in the game which is outlawed by FIFA. That does beg the question what they could do, including whether or not they’d have the competence to block the SPL pitch ban on grounds of, e.g. proportionality, reason or “good of the game”. 

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Why on earth would it have jurisdiction over our game? Completely separate. 

Yes, no details yet but will likely be England only. Which is why I added that I hope Sco Govt would follow suit. Urgently needed IMO. They could also look in to a far fairer distribution of commercial and UEFA monies being shared across all Scottish clubs, another white elephant those in SPFL power think is ok.

Edited by GunnerBairn

I guess last night’s best summarised that we were unlucky to lose and it was frustrating. Looking forward it shows we should have very little to fear however on last nights showing I don’t see Ayr being anywhere near the top. However we have to take our chances and keep them out at the other end. We didn’t and we lost. To qualify now we need to batter the poorer teams or maybe hope for a draw Ayr/DU and Stenhousemuir doing us a favour v Ayr. 

Before the United and Ayr game I genuinely had it in my head we were going to struggle a bit this season and that a lot of the team from last season would be lower mid table without seeing some more signings. However after the past two games I've completely squashed that, I think we'll be more than fine. 

On another day we would've got something out of that. However Ayr defended well in the second half and seen it out. I'm not going to scream we deserved to win cause we didn't. It's extremely harsh to say we weren't unlucky to get a point out that game though. 

I would love to see us get another striker in. Just another option. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBairn said:

Yes, no details yet but will likely be England only. Which is why I added that I hope Sco Govt would follow suit. Urgently needed IMO. They could also look in to a far fairer distribution of commercial and UEFA monies being shared across all Scottish clubs, another white elephant those in SPFL power think is ok.

Absolutely England only. The legislation was initially written by the Tories - it may be stiffened up by Labour. Sport in Scotland is a devolved poweer.

19 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Just seen the “Ticket for Schools”  - is this a new sponsor the club are looking for or a replacement?

Read it as a replacement for Garic.

We should be looking at playoffs as a realistic target.

My only real concern is that we are lacking a quality goalkeeper once again.

Will surely cost us some dropped points over the season.

15 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

We should be looking at playoffs as a realistic target.

My only real concern is that we are lacking a quality goalkeeper once again.

Will surely cost us some dropped points over the season.

Not sure about gk- I think Hogarth is generally a decent keeper (other than his distribution at times). He is still young and will surely only get better playing every week.

My priority would still be an additional st as competition/cover for Maciver. That position could be the biggest threat to our season for me if Maciver is out for any stretch as it’s the one area we don’t have back up near the same level.

For me:

- relegation/relegation playoff = failure

- 7th or 8th = minimum expectations met

- 5th or 6th = realistic expectations for the season

- playoffs = massive success

- 1st = not happening but by god it would be fun

2 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

What happened then pal? Let's hear the truth x 

Well seeing as you got the thread it happened on, time frame and accusation all wrong for starters I'd suggest that the true story would be met with a screeching "naw ah didnae" 😂😂😂

X