The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Bairney Rubble said:

Think already MacIver has proven his worth to the team this season. 
Just to give a comparison to another striker, I used to get really frustrated at Lyle Taylor who never followed the play and clearly seemed disinterested a lot of the time. He has clearly learned a lt since he was with us and made a decent career for himself. Looking at the work MacIver does, he always gives the defence and midfield an option and creates space all around him. Not saying he will be the goal scorer Taylor was for us at this level but the opportunities the rest of the team get because of his football brain and hard work can’t be underestimated.
Yes he is not what you would have considered to be an old school centre forward but times have changed. The key to attacking in modern day football is to pull defenders out of position to create the space for the attacking 3 (or 5).

Try watching where Ross is when others have a chance and you will soon realise his value which does not get recorded as goals or assists.

All the talk of other players coming in to fight him for his place such as Oakley or Todorov would not be a like for like replacement but we would need a change of style to accommodate them.

I said the same at the end of the season.  His work does not show so much in goals ( although 18 is a return) or assists but if there was a chart for creating attacking opportunities Ross would be top by some distance

3 minutes ago, MrDust said:

A blast from the past today when it was such a good time following the Bairns.

A visit to said brewery when we pre season toured there 🍺

IMG20240722182220.jpg

I was just thinking last month 'Wouldn't it be great if we had the money to do a proper pre season tour?'

Go back to Czechia or somewhere brilliant like Slovenia. 

14 minutes ago, MrDust said:

IMG20240722182220.jpg

Not really a lager drinker but Budvar is wonderful.

MacIver is absolutely vital to how we play and I’m still baffled people question it. The only part of his game you could be relatively critical of is that for the number of chances he gets, he’s not clinical enough - which could potientially be more of an issue a level up. But as others have said, that’s balanced by the fact that if he could do everything he does plus put away every chance he gets, he wouldn’t be at Falkirk.

3 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

MacIver is absolutely vital to how we play and I’m still baffled people question it. The only part of his game you could be relatively critical of is that for the number of chances he gets, he’s not clinical enough - which could potientially be more of an issue a level up. But as others have said, that’s balanced by the fact that if he could do everything he does plus put away every chance he gets, he wouldn’t be at Falkirk.

To me MacIver is a superior version of Jordan White. Who has gone on to have a decent career. 

I think he'd be fine even at the bottom end of the Premiership 

25 minutes ago, MrDust said:

IMG20240722182220.jpg

What a time that was to be alive!

IMG_3519.jpeg.05fc60d8ad6e415f44da27bf6a3514da.jpeg

3 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

yes, I must have learned nothing for watching Falkirk for over 50 years. 

Just because I don't like a specific player as much as some other's do does not warrant the personal attacks from some other commenters.

My post was not disrespectful as someone claimed.  Not liking the way someone plays football is not disrespectful.  MacIver comes across as a nice guy in interview and is liked by his team mates.  I did not say I don't like him, I said I don't like the way he plays as much as some others do, if some other replier can't see the difference it's not my fault.

Yes I know this is a football forum and most people have deep set biases, but It's been all too common today to think if someone has a different opinion than you they are an idiot, disrespectful, don't know what they are talking about, etc.

I might not know as much about football as many, but I do have a right to my own opinons.

There is an element that seem to revel in having a go at people having an opinion they don't agree with. Best ignored, your opinion is just as valid as anybody else. Be above it, as all they do with these antics is erode their own credibility on the forum.

7 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

We even had the Leeds Falkirk supporters join in.

I was rougher than the roughest sand paper flying home from there 

FB_IMG_1721671773422.jpg

8 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

With the passing of time, I can finally admit that TFG did some cracking tops back in the day.

A guy had the solid navy one on up in Buckie - possibly match-worn - and it still looked mint by today's efforts.

45 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

With the passing of time, I can finally admit that TFG did some cracking tops back in the day.

A guy had the solid navy one on up in Buckie - possibly match-worn - and it still looked mint by today's efforts.

I was never a fan of the collar but it does grow on you.

IMG_6934.thumb.jpeg.71e9b44fbed63410dea01b252f9f2bac.jpeg

1 minute ago, RC55 FFC said:

I was never a fan of the collar but it does grow on you.

IMG_6934.thumb.jpeg.71e9b44fbed63410dea01b252f9f2bac.jpeg

Likewise. Seemed like a downgrade after the McCall seasons one but everything about it now - sponsor, colour and minimalist design would make me buy it nowadays.

6 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Likewise. Seemed like a downgrade after the McCall seasons one but everything about it now - sponsor, colour and minimalist design would make me buy it nowadays.

... May also have been down to Jason Lee, Keiran MacAnespie and James Sharp wearing it that also ruined it for me! 😆

Edited by Blame Me

Both the Ochilview strips were absolute belters. I still wear my home one regularly.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Both the Ochilview strips were absolute belters. I still wear my home one regularly.

I've got a signed away one which I used to joke was the worst Falkirk team in history until Hartley and MacKinnon knocked it out the park 🫣

OUT NOW!

🆕🎙️EP:89 OOOH I WANNA DANCE WITH SEAN MACKIE

🔵 Review the League Cup so far 🏆
⚪️ Latest Bairns news discussed 🗞️
🔵 Pie gate! 🥧 
⚪️ Preview Stenhousemuir (H) in our final group game with @CraigGTelfer of the @terracepodcast & @TheTerraceTV ⚔️

📺 🎧📱falkirkdaft.co.uk

IMG_0825.thumb.jpeg.58eb150f191f81adddbee80e21b8b8d4.jpeg

The thing big Ross needs to add to his game is just putting his fucking laces though the ball. He's a bit too tentative with a lot of his shots and given the range he's often shooting at, just fucking toe banging it would be better.

Other than that, there isn't anyone in the squad who could contribute as effectively as he does in so many other ways. He'll do fine this year. 

8 hours ago, Captain Chugwash said:

You say Giroud’s goal scoring record isn’t great but he’s France’s all time top scorer.

His record for France is around the 1 in 3 mark whilst mbappe is one in less than 2 games.  Giroud  In his latter years though he wasnt as prolific and was used as a classic CF more . I don't think he scored a single goal when they won the world cup in 2018 for instance.  He still contributed goals to the side   but his main attribute was holding up play and bringing in mbappe etc. He was criticised for not scoring enough compared to his colleagues but like MacIver was an important part of the side.

Edited by Shodwall cat