The Falkirk FC Thread

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/falkirk-fc-boss-john-mcglynn-on-scottish-premiership-ambitions-and-latest-team-news-for-stenny-game-4717082

Coll, Adams, Mccann & Morrison all back in training and available for the Stenny game. Lovely news especially with the league starting next Friday. Nesbitt and Sneddon out for Stenny and no mention of Lang.

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/falkirk-fc-boss-john-mcglynn-on-scottish-premiership-ambitions-and-latest-team-news-for-stenny-game-4717082

Coll, Adams, Mccann & Morrison all back in training and available for the Stenny game. Lovely news especially with the league starting next Friday. Nesbitt and Sneddon out for Stenny and no mention of Lang.

Great news about the players that were injured, and sorry for Nissy as he’s been on great form. 

Ive read John McGlynns FH interview, honest as ever, but having a go at the budget ?

Just now, Springfield said:

Great news about the players that were injured, and sorry for Nissy as he’s been on great form. 

Ive read John McGlynns FH interview, honest as ever, but having a go at the budget ?

6 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

As he had a go at the budget he’s been given here? 

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Just trying to tailor expectations I'd imagine. Like when he told us it would take time to turn us around when he first came in.

2 hours ago, Blane Fonda said:

I don't go to football matches, I want to see Falkirk win, and If missing a few away games to give the opposition fewer resources it is a small price to pay. 

Just think if all Falkirk fans avoided this game and didn't give a penny to Raith, Livi, or Hamilton (Like I won't)  - you could increase your monthly donation to the FSS by a tenner. thus strengthing us and weakening them. 

What a pile of stinking shite this is.

Great news about the injuries clearing up and by the sounds of it, only Tom Lang will be missing for Queens Park next Friday. 

On the comment about the board. I can’t imagine that will go down well. It’s one thing to say the budget is gone but another to moan about it assuming he’s spent all of what he has (his words previously). We have Jamie Swinney on the podcast this week and one of our questions will be how much the budget was increased by so watch this space I suppose. 

2 hours ago, Blane Fonda said:

So you are happy giving Hamilton and Livi money when they bring a handful of fans to our place and rely on away supports to challenge us.

You are happy to give Raith money after the COVID debacle and refused to cancel a league game after our physio died the day before the game.

You are happy to give Dunfermline money before the transfer window to maybe pinch a player we were looking at.

Well, I'm not and I don't give them my cash.

I've taken a  wee break from this page over the Summer to recharge the batteries.  Log back into today and first thing I read is this pish..    F*ck me.   So you don't go to away games at all then? Yer missing out..!

3 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

That last minute Gow winner was just... delicious. Debut for Kasper Schmeichel too IIRC? Mind him doing a knee slide to the Main Stand.

You are right about the favourites thing etc for the semi. The only reasons I would have been pissed off in your position were the reward of European football guaranteed as a result, and the fact you never laid a glove on us on the day.

I thought it was 63 went through to EEP for your trophy day. Disgusting.

It was indeed Kasper's Falkirk debut that night, and his dad and Rio Ferdinand were in the main stand to see it... and share with us Gow's last gasp winner, which was right in front of the rain-soaked away support.  

Likewise agree with your recollection  that 60-ish was the number who wierdly decided it was a good idea to go along to a dead rubber away fixture for us, to watch them, of all teams,  lift the trophy???  Nah, not for me that day; should have been a big fat zero turn-out from us. 

I’m not really a big fan of the interview McGlynn has given. I appreciate that he’d like to spend more but his current squad won’t be cheap. There has to be some fiscal responsibility somewhere. Short of a big spending minority investor, we don’t have access to the funds to spend our way out this league in the short term

I’m not entirely convinced that this is having a go at the board. Feels to me that it’s more about resetting the expectations of some of our fans after the successes of last season……

I kind of agree regarding Johns comments not being great. It’s hard though to know how exactly to take it as journalists are renowned for doing interviews and only printing exerts from it so it’s maybe not as clear as it appears.

This is where the difficulty of being fan owned can bite you. I don’t know about everyone else but I don’t have limitless amounts of spare cash and I spend and help where I can but things in life can happen that means money has to go elsewhere.

Other clubs in the league seem to have a lot more money from wealthy owners and also have been in this league a lot longer than us and will have pocketed a lot more in prize money that us so our budget will be reflected in this. It may be the case we need to consolidate ourselves in the championship and be sensible and grow the club gradually before really having a go at going up. Looking at us though there doesn’t seem to be much between other teams and us, a bit of luck with injuries and I think we could challenge.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

I’m not entirely convinced that this is having a go at the board. Feels to me that it’s more about resetting the expectations of some of our fans after the successes of last season……

That's how I'm reading it as well. Trying to keep our feet on the ground and manage expectations after last season 

Easy clicks for The Herald. Difficult to convey the tone through written format. Some could interpret it as snarky, others a laugh/realistic.

I’m hoping it’s to temper expectations more than anything. Hard not to get carried away after last season where everything went to plan in the league. 

Great news on the injury front, wonder what team he’ll play Saturday. Hopefully they aren’t being rushed back.

11 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I think it could be a bit of both. He’ll have heard what clubs like Ayr etc are spending (granted by a wealthy backer). 

He’s covering his arse while also putting some pressure on the Falkirk board to dole out more funds, nothing unusual about that, he’s given that interview before as Rovers manger.

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

He’s covering his arse while also putting some pressure on the Falkirk board to dole out more funds, nothing unusual about that, he’s given that interview before as Rovers manger.

It’s poor to put pressure on a board/fanbase who’ve already done so much though and who won’t risk the club or its future on trying to outspend a few clubs who have decided to throw everything at going up with only Livi to worry about. 

3 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

It’s poor to put pressure on a board/fanbase who’ve already done so much though and who won’t risk the club or its future on trying to outspend a few clubs who have decided to throw everything at going up with only Livi to worry about. 

McGlynn doesn’t care about the Falkirk board or fanbase here, or even about the long term future of the club, he cares about doing the best job for John McGlynn, which is getting as much as he can out of your board so he looks good and Falkirk do well while he’s still around. 99% of managers are exactly the same.

Listen, we wouldn’t be a football club if the manager wasn’t asking the board for more money. I imagine Jamie swinney will say something along those lines on the Falkirk daft podcast this week as well. Should he have went public with it? Probably not, however, I do agree with other posters that  it’s impossible to tell the tone of the comment in the written press. He’s a football manager, that ultimately wants to win, he’ll be frustrated at what other teams around about us are spending. That’s all.