The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Disco Duck said:

There is a real panic over nothing here.

its the managers job to want more resources to improve the squad today.  It’s the boards job to look after the long term and strike the appropriate balance.  There’s no acrimony here, John’s long enough in the tooth to be making light of it and the board are confident enough in themselves to do what is right

I have not seen any panic. 

30 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

How many senior players do we have if everyone is fit?

GK
Hogarth Sneddon 

Defence

Mackie Donaldson Adams Yeats Henderson McCann Laing

Midfield

Spencer Tait Oliver Nesbitt McKenna 

Wingers

Morrison Alfie Ross Miller

Strikers

MacIver Shanley 

= 20

Two in defence can play midfield. Two fullbacks can cover CH. 

Two midfield can play as strikers 

Two Wingers can play No.10, one as CF, one at fullback, one centrally a part of a two

One striker can cover CH, one can play as No.10

McGlynn has plenty of options all over the pitch. At a stretch he has every position well covered. Probably only CF where is options are limited and he could do with competition especially if MacIver is injured or dips badly in form. 

McGlynn has done a brilliant job recruitment-wise as we all know, and I’m not really in the mood to question him much. In that spirit, looking at the squad now, the only choice I would have made differently would be to have been letting Oliver go and using his wage towards a striker to challenge MacIver. I understand McGlynn’s desire to keep the league winning squad together, and there’s no doubting Oliver is a clever player and will do some form of job if called upon. But if we’re being cutthroat about it, he only started 6 league games last year in League One, and while I doubt he’s one of our high earners, he’s also an experienced player so I would doubt he’s on pennies. I just think that with McGlynn (rightly) pointing out money is tight and we have to be sensible - as well as McKenna being brought in in that area of the pitch too - it’s funds that really should have gone elsewhere.

13 hours ago, Blane Fonda said:

I don't go to football matches, I want to see Falkirk win, and If missing a few away games to give the opposition fewer resources it is a small price to pay. 

Just think if all Falkirk fans avoided this game and didn't give a penny to Raith, Livi, or Hamilton (Like I won't)  - you could increase your monthly donation to the FSS by a tenner. thus strengthing us and weakening them. 

Insane logic. If we do that to clubs, those clubs will quite rightly do it to us. So 9 clubs miss out on 2  visits each from one fanbase (us) and the flipside one club (us) missing out on 18 visits from 9 fanbases. Who loses the most here?

3 hours ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

McGlynn has done a brilliant job recruitment-wise as we all know, and I’m not really in the mood to question him much. In that spirit, looking at the squad now, the only choice I would have made differently would be to have been letting Oliver go and using his wage towards a striker to challenge MacIver. I understand McGlynn’s desire to keep the league winning squad together, and there’s no doubting Oliver is a clever player and will do some form of job if called upon. But if we’re being cutthroat about it, he only started 6 league games last year in League One, and while I doubt he’s one of our high earners, he’s also an experienced player so I would doubt he’s on pennies. I just think that with McGlynn (rightly) pointing out money is tight and we have to be sensible - as well as McKenna being brought in in that area of the pitch too - it’s funds that really should have gone elsewhere.

Where are you going to get a striker to compete with Maciver on olivers wages? A loan possibly but you are not getting a perm signing on that money good enough to challenge maciver. 

59 minutes ago, BPM said:

Where are you going to get a striker to compete with Maciver on olivers wages? A loan possibly but you are not getting a perm signing on that money good enough to challenge maciver. 

Not getting the negativity some on here have for Oliver.

Versatile player with plenty of experience who has scored some important goals and probably on a modest wage.

As squad players go where are you going to get better for the same money?

18 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Not getting the negativity some on here have for Oliver.

Versatile player with plenty of experience who has scored some important goals and probably on a modest wage.

As squad players go where are you going to get better for the same money?

He is a useful squad guy and I suppose there's a drop off to squad guys at all levels of football. For though the issue is our style relies so heavily on the 1 up top being able to hold up, win balls in the air etc and I just think we look toothless if he replaces Maciver. Think he's better behind the striker but we're pretty well covered there so it sort of naturally falls that he's the guy who most would have let go. Don't think it's much against the man himself, more a balance of what we need versus what we have lots of. 

41 minutes ago, Springfield said:

If we at any point lose McIver, as a temporary measure, I’d give Alfie a chance. We’d obviously need to tweak/change the system, but I’d give him a chance. 

Aye, nae chance!

Ageyman looked good at the beginning of last season but as the squad quality has risen, he has struggled to command a starting berth. He's too inconsistent for me and not would be very similar to Allan if played centrally. 

I actually think Agyeman is  more suited to championship football than league 1, he's obviously up against better defences this year, however most teams will have a higher line than last year, meaning more space for him to run into. 

Technically he's not the best, but anyone his size and speed is going to cause full backs problems. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

+If we at any point lose McIver, as a temporary measure, I’d give Alfie a chance. We’d obviously need to tweak/change the system, but I’d give him a chance. 

35 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Aye, nae chance!

Ageyman looked good at the beginning of last season but as the squad quality has risen, he has struggled to command a starting berth. He's too inconsistent for me and not would be very similar to Allan if played centrally. 

I've suggested playing Agyeman through the middle before myself, I think that he has the heft and height to carry it off. Yes, I agree, Alfie is frustrating for me too in that he is very inconsistent when played out wide so why not see if he is better suited to playing through the centre? The game against Stenny is too important to experiment with Alfie then so it would be good if we could get a bounce game fixed up between Saturday and the QP game next Friday to give it a try. With all that being said, McGlynn might well have tried Alfie in the middle before in training and it didn't work out, who knows?

Edited by Bairn in Exile

7 hours ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

McGlynn has done a brilliant job recruitment-wise as we all know,

The only two that didn't work for different reasons were Matthew Wright on loan the guy was just poor, and latterly Allan who didn't fit into the way we play. McGlynn seems the type not to take a punt on an unknown or trialist but rather signs guys who he's worked with before and/or knows. Pretty sound strategy especially when we don't have a massive amount of cash. But I'll echo the sentiments of others we could really do with a like for like back up for MacIver. 

I reckon Alfie could be coached into a version of that role. He makes bad decisions when he has too much time but if he could adapt his game to win, hold off, lay off then turn and run it might be sort of brutally effective

22 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

The only two that didn't work for different reasons were Matthew Wright on loan the guy was just poor, and latterly Allan who didn't fit into the way we play. McGlynn seems the type not to take a punt on an unknown or trialist but rather signs guys who he's worked with before and/or knows. Pretty sound strategy especially when we don't have a massive amount of cash. But I'll echo the sentiments of others we could really do with a like for like back up for MacIver. 

Adams? 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I reckon Alfie could be coached into a version of that role. He makes bad decisions when he has too much time but if he could adapt his game to win, hold off, lay off then turn and run it might be sort of brutally effective

Maybe getting long in the tooth but I increasingly find that when X is offered as a solution to a players deficiencies then 9/10 times that player isn't going to improve - Ola and Allan being the most recent examples.

Those that are going to kick-on usually do it in relatively short order instead of waiting for the stars to align.

I like Alfie but I just can't see him dislodging others.

I'd just like to see more of Agyeman in general this season. There's definitely a player in there. With a bit of confidence and match sharpness he would run riot imo 

Obviously it's going to be very difficult for him to displace Morrison/ Nesbitt/ Miller / MacIver but hopefully he takes his chance whenever he gets it 

Just read the McGlynn comments in the FH this morning. I don't think he's doing anything other than trying to manage expectations. I certainly haven't read his comments as a dig at the board or fans

5 hours ago, BPM said:

I’d have used the money spent re-signing Oliver and Shanley on a striker to challenge Maciver