The Falkirk FC Thread

If there's five teams bidding for him then let them go off against each other. The board will get a decent wedge for him, we are developing a reputation ala Hibs, Livi or Hamilton these days so we won't be selling guys on the cheap (can't actually remember the last player we let go for a fee who I felt was underpriced?).

Not what you meant but losing Farid and Barr for nowt stung a little.

Craig Samson is in talks with Motherwell so I wouldn't be hugely surprised if St Mirren came in for McGovern. Killie will also be looking to replace Sevco-bound Cammy Bell. I wouldn't grudge him an SPL move, he's far too good for the First Division. I'm not sure if he'd go to England given he joined us from County as he wanted his family to live in the central belt, but I suppose if the offer was right he'd be off.

Kilmarnock are signing Reguero from Inverness to replace Bell, so he wouldn't be first choice there either. Only St Mirren need a keeper from the SPL unless we lose Mannus, or Aberdeen finally ditch Langfield

I'm fairly certain that there would have been interest in Barr and Farid while still under contract. All we heard about was Championship sides after Barr, teams queuing up for Farid at Christmas. There was money to be made at some point and with hindsight it would have been better to cash in. The board weren't to know that but to say there was nothing they could have done is pushing it.

I'm fairly certain that there would have been interest in Barr and Farid while still under contract. All we heard about was Championship sides after Barr, teams queuing up for Farid at Christmas. There was money to be made at some point and with hindsight it would have been better to cash in. The board weren't to know that but to say there was nothing they could have done is pushing it.

I don't think any bids came in for Barr at all, at least none were rumoured. These things usually have a way of coming out.

I see that's Randolph confirmed as leaving Motherwell now, which paves the way for Samson to leave St Mirren. Hopefully St Mirren decide to go with that bigot Grant Adam as first choice next season and leave McGovern with us.

The usual suspects that are "in the know" were forever telling us of bids for Barr.

It's not important though. As long as we develop the kind of reputation Hibs had. Getting over £200K for rubbish like Mark Stewart helps our cause.

As you said, though, the board weren't to know. In January, if the board had just conceded that we weren't going to win the league and sold Farid for 200k or whatever, the supporters would have had a meltdown and been calling for their heads. What would you have done in their situation?

Edited by RobBairn1876

P'boro, Rotheram, Coventry city and aberdeen it would seem are interested according to a few tweets

What.....no Huddersfield :o

If there's five teams bidding for him then let them go off against each other. The board will get a decent wedge for him, we are developing a reputation ala Hibs, Livi or Hamilton these days so we won't be selling guys on the cheap (can't actually remember the last player we let go for a fee who I felt was underpriced?).

Dont think the clubs that have bought them would say same tho.....

Arfield not done too bad but worth 400,000.....

Flynn been in and out of team

Higgy probably less than 15 appearances for Huddersfield

Mark Stewart - well not got cash, but enuf said

Wallace is one for the future and I think is one we may get majority of add ons for in regard to appearances and sell on, we seemingly missed out on Arfield add on cash 50k by just a few mins.......perhaps something to do with why he didnt feature near end of season

I was in today getting last seasons top for going away on holiday,The new top is not due in ttill the 29th May and I go away on the 28th :thumbsdown

Unless you're under 36 in waist size or age, you've been given a kindly break.

As you said, though, the board weren't to know. In January, if the board had just conceded that we weren't going to win the league and sold Farid for 200k or whatever, the supporters would have had a meltdown and been calling for their heads. What would you have done in their situation?

Well they didnt sell farid and people have been calling for their heads since i started lurking around online last year, farid may have scored the goals but there was a marked decline in performance after higgy left. i didnt make it to too many games last season so i could be wrong but it the board cant win with the fans anyway.

Stenhousemuir and Falkirk football clubs are ready to amalgamate their youth structures into a radical 
regional football academy.

East Stirlingshire are also believed to have given initial backing to the ground-breaking local trial based on models in Spain and Holland.

Letters have been issued to players and their parents at the Bairns and Warriors detailing the proposal to form a Forth Valley set-up based at the University of Stirling.

In one, seen by The Falkirk Herald from Ochilview head of youth Graeme Robertson, it says “Our club, along with East Stirlingshire and Falkirk, has intimated our desire to be part of this new vision and will from next season compete against the country’s top clubs as a region.”

The letters also state players will remain registered to the clubs and that no quotas of representation per team are in place. However the move will see some players released after assessment over “the next few weeks”.

“In many ways this is no different to the process that is normally carried out at this time of the season,” the letter states. “ Clearly there will be an increased potential that your son will not receive an invitation.”

The letters add: “The overarching aim of this new venture and indeed the rationale behind the recommendation made by the National Performance Director is to ensure that only players of exceptional ability and who have the potential to play at the very highest level should participate in Club Academy Scotland.”

This aim would fall into line with Mark Wotte’s desire and vision for a ‘best versus best’ development culture. As unlikely as it sounds, Scotland currently has more than 1,000 ‘elite’ players training in club academies nationwide - narrowing this by region is viewed by the SFA as a way of ensuring the true cream of the crop consistently face one another.

The Forth Valley area has been targeted thanks to the success of both clubs’ present youth outlooks, the facilities at Stirling University, and the success of the previous SFA project piloted in the area - the performance school at Graeme High, which Mark Wotte visited last week.

Although plans are still at an early stage, the proposal will see a regional Forth Valley side competing against the top Academy clubs in Scotland from the start of next season..