The Falkirk FC Thread

A large part of our problem is the only box-to-bx midfielder we have of any quality is McGrandles, who is still very inexperienced. Olly is clearly defensive mid, and everyone else - Fulton, Sibbald, Alston, Roberts, Bingham, Loy - are pretty much attacking midfielders. We've loads of people to play "in the hole" but naebody to be around them! No CM, no wingers.

Every game I've seen this season has seen us be very narrow, with absolutely no cover for the full backs meaning that we've had to deal with loads of crosses.

I think Holt's formation at the weekend was an attempt to address this, but it ended up with the same problem as Bingham and especially Roberts were never going to track back.

I can't help thinking an answer is to play a back 5 with Turnbull/Kingsley and Duffie in more advanced positions. It would give us a bit of width. Something like:

------------------------McGovern--------------------

-----------Flynn------Vaulks------Kingsley--------

--Duffie--------------Olly---------------Turnbull--

----------McGrandles-------Alston----------------

--------------Roberts---------Loy-------------------

02/03 style. Like it

A large part of our problem is the only box-to-bx midfielder we have of any quality is McGrandles, who is still very inexperienced. Olly is clearly defensive mid, and everyone else - Fulton, Sibbald, Alston, Roberts, Bingham, Loy - are pretty much attacking midfielders. We've loads of people to play "in the hole" but naebody to be around them! No CM, no wingers.

Every game I've seen this season has seen us be very narrow, with absolutely no cover for the full backs meaning that we've had to deal with loads of crosses.

I think Holt's formation at the weekend was an attempt to address this, but it ended up with the same problem as Bingham and especially Roberts were never going to track back.

I can't help thinking an answer is to play a back 5 with Turnbull/Kingsley and Duffie in more advanced positions. It would give us a bit of width. Something like:

------------------------McGovern--------------------

-----------Flynn------Vaulks------Kingsley--------

--Duffie--------------Olly---------------Turnbull--

----------McGrandles-------Alston----------------

--------------Roberts---------Loy-------------------

Alston is much better at the role than McGrandles IMO........

Saturday's line up just didn't work but fair play for trying it, just hope he doesn't try it again any time soon.

U20's played Dunfermline last night at East End Park

Dunfermline had 5 first team lads getting a run out last night and the game ended 2-2 after Falkirk twice took the lead.

Each team had periods in the match and it was end to end in the last 15 minutes as they both went looking for a winner.

This is a very young U20's team Falkirk has this season and they will grow in strength, the back line where all 17 last night.

McNab, Greene, Fulton and Blair

Edited by OneBairnEveryMinute

Alston is much better at the role than McGrandles IMO........

Saturday's line up just didn't work but fair play for trying it, just hope he doesn't try it again any time soon.

I think Alston is a more attacking player. Or should be.

I agree on Saturday's lineup, it was good to see us try something different - and that was the match to do it in, diddy cup but still competitive. Too weak defensively though.

U20's played Dunfermline last night at East End Park

Dunfermline had 5 first team lads getting a run out last night

To put it simply, we didn't.

3 players have played for the first team at some point this season, Smith, Kerr and Young are all 19 and below I'm sure though. Where ob earth did you get 5 from?

To put it simply, we didn't.

3 players have played for the first team at some point this season, Smith, Kerr and Young are all 19 and below I'm sure though. Where ob earth did you get 5 from?

I would say that Young, Kane, Ferguson, Smith and at a push Williamson are all members of the 1st team squad as all have appeared for the 1st team this season.

Was hearing yesterday that Lyle Taylor hasn't scored in over 30 appearances in league 1. Obviously early days for him at Sheffield, but I think it's fairly safe to say he's not good enough for that level. I think we've done very well to get as much as we did.

Ok, what am I missing? :huh:

Was hearing yesterday that Lyle Taylor hasn't scored in over 30 appearances in league 1. Obviously early days for him at Sheffield, but I think it's fairly safe to say he's not good enough for that level. I think we've done very well to get as much as we did.

Ok, what am I missing? :huh:

Cancel that, I've got it now. :thumsup2

We have around 900 fans taking the survey which we are delighted with. Thanks to everyone who has filled it in.

We are therefore closing it on Sunday night. Can we ask those who have not filled it in to do so and lets see if we can top the 1000.

Thanks again, link below

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/C2DP39X

I've spoke to 5 other people who did this and all 6 of us have gave the club a roasting and a half.

I realise this is a small % of the near thousand who did this but it says it all from fans who still go.

God knows what fans that have left would say.

Like how Gary Holt has set us up, the team looks fitter and more up for it every game with 2 up front keeping the ball up top for longer. But and this is a big but, we dont half rely on long ball tactics. Its a wee bit like watching a game 'doon the park' on a sunday. I suppose if it gets results then it doesnt matter, least theres no tippy tappy at the back which can only be a good thing. Id quite like a team that played a bit more on the deck but not as much as Pressley did, a happy medium between the two would be good

I've spoke to 5 other people who did this and all 6 of us have gave the club a roasting and a half.

I realise this is a small % of the near thousand who did this but it says it all from fans who still go.

God knows what fans that have left would say.

On what basis? Genuinely interested.

Incidentally (and I know it doesn't make up for multiple ills) the updated fishul website looks cracking.

Ha, I posted on Twitter a few weeks ago about my intense dislike of the website and I had hoped a re-design of the website was in the works - very pleased to see that it was. Looks so much better than the previous version which was a bit of a mess.

Edited by Kris.