The Falkirk FC Thread

C'mon, Kris, that's a stumble at 0.33, not a poked pass.

That just links me back to this thread. :unsure:

Aye, he stumbles as he goes to make the pass. :P It's messy, and he's made a bit of a c**t of it, but whether he meant it or not (only he will know what he was actually trying to do), he does knock the ball directly to Farid to put in the back of the net. To me that's an assist.

Higgy is the man. Hopefully other players continue to gain attention to increase our chances of keeping him. I've always been a huge fan but good to see he's proving his critics wrong. It was clear to see last year that he was better in an advanced role but he was repeatedly misused.

See, folk say this but he has ELEVEN assists already this season. That's mental, I can't see there being many other players (if any) in Scotland with that many assists. Of course he doesn't manage to make that killer pass every time he tries it but does any footballer?

I'll admit to being one of those. I recall having numerous discussions with you last season about him and I don't think we agreed once about him. I've certainly come around to your way of thinking though. He's been fucking terrific this season.

He divided opinion with a few people last season, so I was going to at some point over the next few days do a comparison between him last season, and how he's doing this season. I'd be interested in particular to see how many assists he contributed last season, given how poor his end product was back then. I'd be surprised if he even managed 11 assists over the whole of last season - although he obviously didn't start every game like he has this season.

Is it just me, or is this idea of an 'assist' bunkum? An import from ice hockey or gridiron or something? Players set up goals for others, yeah, we know. There is no statistical meaning behind it unlike, say, red cards, goals, penalties missed or whatever.

NB: this is not a criticism of your hard work, Kris.,* just slight bafflement about people talking about something which is so vague as to be effectively meaningless. And a creeping Americanisation to boot. Grrr.

* inasmuch as remembering lots of Falkirk goals is hard work!

Is it just me, or is this idea of an 'assist' bunkum? An import from ice hockey or gridiron or something? Players set up goals for others, yeah, we know. There is no statistical meaning behind it unlike, say, red cards, goals, penalties missed or whatever.

NB: this is not a criticism of your hard work, Kris.,* just slight bafflement about people talking about something which is so vague as to be effectively meaningless. And a creeping Americanisation to boot. Grrr.

* inasmuch as remembering lots of Falkirk goals is hard work!

Hard to quantify statistically maybe, but I still think Duffie and Higginbotham should get credit for the number of goals they've set up for Alagui..

He may give the ball away now and again at least he doesnt hide and always looks for the ball.

Shame we couldn't say the same for most of the players last season ( Compton, Flynn, BoB, Finnigan ect...)

Finnigan certainly never hid. He may not have been the best player but hiding is something he definitely couldn't be accused of.

I'm not so sure Flynn ever hid either. He could disappear in games but I don't think he deliberately hid.

I'm not so sure Flynn ever hid either. He could disappear in games but I don't think he deliberately hid.

Yeah Flynn was our best player last season. There was obviously games where he was less effective than others but more often than not he was our outball and most creative player, there's no way anyone could accuse him of 'hiding'.

After his booking today, Farid will miss the next league game, which is away to Morton on the 11th of February. I'm fairly sure Dods will be missing as well, as he picked up his 6th booking in the league - his 5th since his dismissal against Raith on the opening day. Just in case anyone is interested, the card count for everyone is as follows: (League bookings in brackets)

Farid El Alagui | Yellow: 8 (5)

Kieran Duffie | Yellow: 6 (3)

Darren Dods | Yellow: 6 (6) | Red: 1 (1)

Mark Millar | Yellow: 5 (3)

Stewart Murdoch | Yellow: 4 (1) | Red: 1 (1)

Thomas Scobbie| Yellow: 4 (3)

Rhys Bennett | Yellow: 4 (2)

Kallum Higginbotham | Yellow: 3 (0) | Red: 1 (1)

Craig Sibbald | Yellow: 3 (2)

Dale Fulton | Yellow: 2 (1)

Murray Wallace | Yellow: 2 (2)

Blair Alston | Yellow: 1 (1)

There was also another goal and one assist for our front two today. Taking their tallies to:

Farid El Alagui | Goals: 22 | Assists: 5

Kallum Higginbotham | Goals: 8 | Assists: 12

8)

Higgy coulda had atleast another 3 assists today if he knew how to make a pass instead of going it alone

91-94 Retro Home shirt

Less than 20 shirts remain in stock (a mixture of small, medium and large) so if anyone is still looking to purchase for the semi final or indeed just to have one of these, nearly sold out items, they are onsale at the stadium shop now priced £34.99.

Thanks